• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Excited, new pup possibly!!!

estelle

We have the chance to get another puppy, he's a ruby male aged 10 wks!!!
The breeder tells me he comes from a excellent background with his parents being winners at crufts!!!
His mum is Anberan Iced Tazo Chai and his dad is Harana Sinatra, does anyone recognise these names??
Were sooooooooooooo excited :jump:
Hopefully charlie will have a playmate and someone to grow old and wrinkly with!!! ;)

I recognise Harana- that's a good prefix that appears in a lot of wholecolour pedigrees- but isn't your other boy still pretty young?

Charlie's 20 wks, I spoke to the breeder about this and she doesn't think it'll be a problem?

Not for him, but it might be a problem for you!! You said he's been unwell; you had that problem with him snapping; he's still being trained and I bet he's still not reliable in the house. Are you very sure that you want to take on a second pup? I mean, I've found it a struggle sometimes trying to juggle the two dogs (especially at first) and I was dealing with an adult who is 99% reliable and never gets into trouble.

....but ruby pups are adorable and SO mischievous. I'm tempted to simply call Chloe 'Trouble' and be done with it- that's what one of my friends calls her! :badgrin: :badgrin:

Joly and Teddy are 6 months apart and were hard work, as the coming of Teddy made Joly go backwards. For instance he started soiling in the house . I would, in futeur go for a gap,of at least 18months; that between Izzy and Monty.

Is it really that difficult?? I must admit I have been thinking about feeding time/sleeping etc... Do I feed them apart/different times etc and how do you know who's poo's are who's????? and should we crate him or let him watch/learn from charlie????
These are all things to discuss with the breeder but i'd be grateful for all your experienced opinions/input
He is absolutely gorge though! I just wish I could figure out how to get his piccie up so you could all see him :sl*p:

Is it not better to get all the house training done together in 1 hit rather than to start all over at a later date???

I made that mistake when I had my 2 girls, left them 6 yrs apart and i'm suffering now!!! in heinsight I would have had them closer together icon_whistling

Estelle,

As Lisa says its hard work even when you have one that is 99% reliable and trained. Although it would be lovely to have two puppies and I understand you point on training two at once for housebreaking, they will bond with each other more quickly which is good, but they are more likely to ignore your training as they will egg each other on rather than following the good manners of a well trained older dog.

At the end of the day, its your choice and its only you that knows whether you have the patience to cope with 2 small puppies who poo and wee evrywhere, chew stuff they shouldn't etc. :lol: :lol:

I must admit I felt the same way when Merlin was about the same age, however I was not in the same position as you. Oakley is a ruby male and boy does he get into mischief - a lot more than Merlin did!

BTW Both my boys have Harana in them

Whatever decision you make I'm sure will be the right one for you and your family and Charlie! :flwr:

Hi i think u would be better off getting ur problems with the dog u have sorted out first, before u think of taking on another pup. Have u figured out why he snapped at ur little girl yet. If not what if he does this again and the new pup starts to pick up on his habits as pups do.
Until u find out if the problem lies with ur dog or maybe something ur little girl is doing to the dog it needs to be sorted.
Good luck what ever u decide. :D

Hi Estelle,

If I were you I think I would wait a while before getting another puppy or dog. I would want to sort Charlie's health problems out first and also find out why he bit your little one.

I wouldn't want to bring another puppy into the house just yet. He could very well pick something up from Charlie if he is unwell or if Charlie is unwell and snaps again he could well go for the puppy.

Having two youngsters like this would also be extremely hard work for yourself & you could well find that Charlie goes backwards in his housetraining as he's still so young himself.

I have looked on the pedigree databases and Harana Sinatra is there and indeed a champion. I cannot find Anberan Iced Tazo Chai though.

Would the breeder let you see the five generation pedigree certificates for both parents? I am just being a bit cautious for you as I know you were duped with Charlie. I would also be asking for copies of clear health certificates too. That's just common sense really these days.

One thing that would put me off a bit is that the father, though he is the champion, has the same Gt Grandmother on both sides of the Grandma (does that make sense?) in other words, both his grandmothers have the same mother. Tbh, I would want this to be a bit further back for any pup I was buying.

Anyway, good luck whatever you decide :flwr:

I'd forgotten your problem with Charie, which would make me even more reluctant to have another puppy. I have had problems with Teddy, my last addition (Had he come before Joly I certainly wouldn't have had a second youngster, but Joly was easy) and they have mainly involved Joly. Because he's closest in age, he has been the target. This could happen in your case with Charlie taking things out on the younger puppy.

I've heard of Hirana Sinatra. I've seen the name somewhere on the internet as a son/grandson of my puppy's father.

My new puppy's father is Hanara Smokey Joe. I expect he's sired half the board's pups in the UK :lol:

Just thought i'd let you all know we've come to a decision about the new pup.... Were going to wait a little while and just concentrate on charlie for now, plus we've just had the go ahead today for our new kitchen so the place is going to be like a bomb site for a while and that's noooooooo place for a new pup :yikes .
Can't help feeling a little gutted though :( but i know we've made the right decision ;)
Thanks for all your advice :flwr: I just hope the breeder understands and isn't too cross :oops:

Oh Estelle - you can came and borrow our three if you need an extra fix... hopefully the breeder will understand. :)

I wouldn't give a second look as to what names are on the papers.....especially if you are buying pet quality, the health checking is much more important...is this breeder testing hearts, eyes, and scanning for SM?and can the breeder then show you good parents and possibly Grand parents with clear hearts etc? you need a healthy puppy that will start with all the best chances in it's life. Ask all the questions it could save you alot of heartache later on.

Sorry to be so blunt but please give it alot of thought... :flwr:

Alison, Wilts. U.K.

Back