• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Lily is sick

Shay

When I took he out this morning she threw up bile and had dry heaves several times. I took up her water and did not feed her all day until just a while ago. She just ate a couple of bites and then when my husband took her out, she threw up again. She has slept most of the day. She had her third round of puppy shots yesterday. These being the first I brought her for since we just got her last week. Could this be a reaction from the shots? Has anyone else experienced this from shots?

Thanks

Please call your vet immediately. Any time you have worrying behaviour like this, especially in a puppy where they can begin to sink very fast, it is very important to get professional advice right away. They will tell you what to do and if you need to bring her in. Please do not delay. (y)

Thanks......Just called the emergency pet hospital, my Vet is closed now. They said if she continues to throw up to bring her in. She is playing and seems fine. She is not dehydrated. She has only thrown up twice all day. If she throws up anymore, I will bring her in tonight. They are open 24 hrs. She has no diarrhea. I will call her Vet in the morning if she is not better by morning or will bring her in tonight if she throws up again. They did say it could be the shots. I would have thought that she would have been sick yesterday from that, but I'm not a Vet.

please make sure she has access to water, and try to give her some chicken broth, you can just boil a piece of chicken if you have any

I just gave her a little chicken broth and a couple ice cubes. She lapped up everything and was looking for more. Afraid to give her too much. So far so good.

Thanks

***HUGZ***

Here's us hoping to a fast and safe recovery for your little doll, Shay!! :flwr:

Thank you......It just breaks your heart when they are sick, especially a little baby.

You're doing good Shay. Just tiny bits of broth and water. I often give ice chips if mine throw up to help keep them hydrated. I would guess this most likely has something to do with the vaccinations. Hope she's feeling better this evening. If she doesn't straighten up I'd definitely to her in to get her checked out.

Thanks you guys.....She is sleeping peacefully now in her Daddy's arms. Took her out once after the broth and she did not throw up. So far so good. It sure helps to have this site. I have raised many dogs, but these little babies are unlike any others. When they look a you with that little face and sad eyes you just want to cry. I swear they are really like human babies.

I had a horrible night when Jake was a puppy. He was crying in his crate and wouldn't stop. I went out in the dark and scooped him up and started loving on him...only to realize he was covered in vomit and now so was I :shock: Poor baby threw up about 3 times that night and a couple more time in the a.m. Took him in to the vet's office 10 minutes before they even opened their doors, scared out of my mind. Don't know what caused it, but he was fine by the end of the day. It's awfullly scary, I know!

Oh No.....Poor little guy, and poor you. Sure hope it was only the shots and she will be o.k. in the A.M. When my Lhasa was a puppy, she had an anaphylactic reaction to one of her vaccinations. Her tongue was 3 times it's size along with her muzzle. She was having a hard time breathing. This happened the night of the day she got the shot. I freaked out and rushed her and I mean running red lights and speeding to the emergency hospital. She was o.k. after they gave a shot of epinephrine. After that and still to this day when she gets that vaccination the Vet has to give her something first.

i know what you mean about what it does to you, seeing them sick. After i had had Zack three weeks, one day he slept all day and didn't eat or drink, had always been active and playful before that. He started vomiting that night and after the 4th time i took him to the ER at midnight. He vomited in the crate at the ER. He had been vaccinated a few days before. He was fine the day of the vaccination but had terrible soreness the following day and felt a little warm to me. The vomiting was probably a week later. It continued for two more weeks off and on, until he took a deworming medication (several tests for worms had been negative).

That sounds terribly scary about your Lhasa. Glad she was saved in time.

Have you looked into research about duration of immunity for distemper, parovirus and adenovirus 2? I've been looking at it especially recently as Zack is due for his first year boosters shortly. I found this article very interesting and informative:

http://www.isrvma.org/article/59_3_1.htm

Poor Lily. Please get well soon. Sending you lots of hugs and kisses from me and the boys :flwr: .

Poor {{{{{Lily}}}}} hope she's soon OK. I would never remove her water bowl if she's vomiting - she needs to keep hydrated (y)

Lily seems to be better this morning. She was starving when she woke up . I feed her a little and she has held that down. She scoffed it down, where yesterday she would only eat a little bitty bite and then walk away when I put her food down. I think this is a good sign

Thanks for all the good wishes! :flwr:

Thanks Kathy, and everyone for your support. It has been 3.5 hours since she ate and no vomiting. I will have to chalk his up to the vaccination. I wonder if she had this same reaction when the breeder had her. Wish she would have told me. But maybe she didn't react to those. Who knows. I will certainly make sure that the Vet gives her something before the next round in 3 wks. Boy, am I dreading that! :sl*p:

Shay said:
Thanks Kathy, and everyone for your support. It has been 3.5 hours since she ate and no vomiting. I will have to chalk his up to the vaccination. I wonder if she had this same reaction when the breeder had her. Wish she would have told me. But maybe she didn't react to those. Who knows. I will certainly make sure that the Vet gives her something before the next round in 3 wks. Boy, am I dreading that! :sl*p:

It may be possible and even likely that Lily and the Lhasa are already well protected by previous vaccinations and that re-vaccinating may not provide any boost to immunity, so that re-exposing the dogs might not be necessary or therapeutic. Your vet can evaluate this for any patient on a case by case basis, weighing risks and benefits which can vary from case to case. Sereologic testing can be very useful in the puppy shot context in particular--according to the leadership of the veterinary profession at this time.

i've been reading all i can on this and am so overloaded with information and opinions that it's hard to keep track of what is now considered accepted fact and what is debatable. I do know that the above is what has become the official position of the American Veterinary Medical Association, the American Animal Hospital Association and the major veterinary medical schools as of this year, and actually for several years, though many vets in the field are not ready to embrace these new standards and recommended practices.

http://www.avma.org/issues/policy/vaccination_principles.asp
http://www.aahanet.org/About_aaha/vaccine_guidelines06.pdf

Back