PDA

View Full Version : Need Advice on new Digital Camera

Linda
8th November 2006, 04:00 PM
We'll I am going to have to invest in a new digital camera since my darling little son dropped it and it is no longer working. :sl*p: :sl*p: :sl*p: :sl*p: :sl*p: :sl*p:

My hubby can just about fix anything but I think this might be one thing he won't be able to although he has emailed Cannon to ask where the fuse it in the camera.

We had a Canon Power Shot A400, yes don't laugh it is quite old and the delay is awful.

Any suggestions on a good digital would be really really appreciated,
Christmas is coming and I guess I know what I am getting now. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

arasara
8th November 2006, 04:19 PM
Linda, dear, dont you know Avi is an IT nerd? I will ask him for you what he thinks. :lol:

Linda
8th November 2006, 04:24 PM
Oops sorry I forgot. icon_whistling icon_whistling icon_whistling

Denise G.
8th November 2006, 04:32 PM
I just got a Canon SD-450 Elf and I LOVE IT! It's small enough to slip into my purse and I pretty much take it everywhere just in case there's a "Kodak moment" at the grocery store. :roll: It takes wonderful pics and I think its a 5 megapixel with movie mode, etc. I still don't know everything it can do, but here's a link to more info...

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Digital-Cameras/sem/rpsm/catOid/-13062/N/20013061+20013062+40000857/link/ref/rpem/ccd/categorylist.do

Looks like the SD-600 is on sale and cheaper than the SD-450. It's got more megapixels--better quality printed picture!

Kdemars
8th November 2006, 04:35 PM
I'm an SD Elf fan as well - I've never had a problem with them, they are easy to use and will last a long time. Good luck!!!

mishmosh
8th November 2006, 05:06 PM
my friend who owns a camera shop maintains that Olympus and Nikon make the best lenses.

You need a minimum of 2 million pixels for snaps. Anything more is for enlarging pictures to A4 for example.

Barbara Nixon
8th November 2006, 05:45 PM
I have a Canon G6 and it's brilliant. I managed to get it over here for about £350 ( a US grey import), so it would be much cheaper over there.

My only grouse is that it takes time to focus, but then you get a very clear photo. It's a 7.1 Megapixel.

I was looking at an slr version, but was advised that this, cheaper anyway, was better unless I took photos using the viewfinder; which I don't.

You can see a closeup taken with it on Estelle's 'Update on puppy' thread. This is infereior quality as it's been taken on low resolve and compressed for the net.

judy
8th November 2006, 07:10 PM
I was so impressed with Cathy Moon's avatar pictures, the detail, the lighting, the lifelikeness that i asked her what camera she had. I think it was a Canon A-85 or similar. They are older models so i looked on eBay and found they are still going for up to $200 used, a testament to their qualities. So, i ended up getting basically a current version of the same model, the Canon A-620. It has since been superseded by a newer version which seems to be the same but with more megapixels. The one i got is 7.1 MP and was $249 before shipping from an online seller, Vann's in Montana, very fast delivery, unconditional guarantee, lowest price i could find on the web.

I also looked at and compared the Elfs because small size is important to to me and they are smaller. I looked at the reviews on the Digital Camera Resource Page and some other review sites (you can easily find with google) and decided that after weighing pros and cons, the A-620 was what i needed. The shot delay, start up, flash charging and such are all quite fast, anyway, way faster than any camera i've had before, and that was extremely important to me because i had been frustrated losing good shots of Zack while my other camera was trying to start up or to focus. And the shot quality is terrific, that was an area where at least in the reviews, the larger cameras like the A-620 were rated higher than the smaller ones such as the SDs. Of course, to a non professional like me, i probably would not have been able to tell the difference, but that was one of the things that decided it for me as it was my love of Cathy's photos that inspired my search. As it turns out, i can always fit the camera in my front or back jeans pocket, even though it's not easy like the elfs which i think have the most wonderful design for compactness.

The third criterion for me in choosing a camera that the A-620 excelled on compared to most other digital cameras was how long you can shoot on a battery charge. It allowed for several hundred photos, twice as many as average.

And another plus for me was that it can also use regular AA batteries so if i run out of juice in the two sets i could carry with me of the rechargeables, i can stop into any store and buy 4 AAs and shoot another 400 or 500 photos. I was hesitant about the 4 batteries making the camera heavier than a single lithium or two AAs, but as it turns out, the camera doesn't feel heavy to me at all and seems small and compact. So i've been very happy with it. I just had a three day visit with the most photogenic of dogs, my daughter's Belle, and i took lots of photos which i will try to post in the next few days to show some examples. The camera has some manual options and many automatic options. I especially like a programmable option where you can put your favorite settings in and always have them available at the twist of the dial.

Whatever you get, congratulations! Getting a new camera is so fun. And YOU, Linda, of all people, should not be without one for long, because you have some beautifully photogenic dogs around as well. :D :d*g:

gadgetfreak
8th November 2006, 09:55 PM
Put me down as a vote for the Canon SD series. I used to have an SD-300, now I have an SD-400. They are up to 600 or 700 now. There are two different bodies for some of the models - one is rounded and a bit bigger than the other. The smaller body is really good. Best balance of size and quality.

duncans_ma
8th November 2006, 10:05 PM
I was in Target the other day and was impressed with the Canon-Elph (s-630 or something) if you like pocket size models. 6mps with a really nice large screen for about $299

selina
9th November 2006, 04:57 AM
Mines a sony cybershot. 4.1 megapixels, and has a big screen on the backfor easy viewing.

Bruce H
9th November 2006, 12:13 PM
When Kris and I were looking for a new camera a couple years ago, a short delay was our primary consideration for shooting puppies. What we did was go to a camera store and just start trying all the display models. Unfortunately, all the smaller cameras seemed to have the long delays.

We finally ended up swallowing hard and buying a digital SLR (Nikon D70); BIG bucks! We were then able to buy a close-up lense and a telephoto lens a while later. The problem with it is that it is big like the old film SLR's, so it seldom leaves the house. We still use our small camera with the long delay when we go somewhere.

So if the delay is a big issue, I think you will find the smaller, more manageble cameras will still have quite a delay. Just seems to be the nature of the beast.

Mimi
9th November 2006, 01:12 PM
Hi ,
I'm a photographer and also run a photographic store as part of our family business . I would recommend you to look no further than olympus . I selected an Olympus compact from the mju / stylus ( in the states ) range for my personal photographs . The photos I have posted of Heidi and Nifa are taken with this . The latest model is called mju 1000 10 million pixels ,image stabilisation a lovely camera . If your budget dosent stretch go for the cheaper mju 700 series , 700 740 or 750 . Stylish , weatherproof 7.1 million pixels . Or to reduce the risk of losing another camera to drop damage try the mju 725 shock proof to 1 metre and waterproof for all those little accidents . the mju range is stylus in the states . Look on the olympus.co.uk website so you can see pictures of them so you'll know what to look for .Hope this is helpful . The olympus cameras over here also have a 2 year guarantee also nice .
Mimi

Linda
18th November 2006, 12:42 AM
Anybody know anything about this model
Canon PowerShot A710 IS 7.1MP Digital Camera

The elegant Canon A710 IS is fully equipped to help busy families capture and hold onto special memories. With a powerful 6X optical zoom and Canon's Image Stabilizer Technology, your images will be clear and sharp at every point in the zoom - even in low light. Excellent 7.1MP resolution, easy high-tech operability and a load of creative shooting modes will keep the fun - and great images - coming.
Purchase service plan

Product Features

DIGIC II imaging processor enables fast start-up time, extended battery life and faster processing speed.

Capture continuous videos for up to one hour.

A full-featured camera with 20 shooting modes, 9-point AiAF, ISO 800 and High ISO Auto to reduce image blur and expand low-light shooting capability.

Customize colours before and after shooting with the My Colours function

ISO 800 for significantly reduced camera shake and subject blur

Choose your focus point with Flexizone AE/AF

Optical View Finder

Flash Range (Normal): 1.8' - 11.0' / 55 cm - 3.5 m (W), 1.8' - 8.2' / 55 cm - 2.5 m (T); Macro: 1' - 1.8' / 30 - 55 cm (W-M) (When sensitivity is set to ISO Auto)

Exposure Metering System: Program AE, Shutter Speed-Priority AE, Aperture-Priority AE, Manual

Included In Box: PowerShot A710 IS Body, 2 x "AA" Alkaline Battery, SD Memory Card SDC-16MB, Wrist Strap WS-200, Digital Camera Solution CD-ROM, USB Interface Cable IFC-400PCU, AV Cable AVC-DC300

Focus Range (Normal): 1.8' / 55 cm - Infinity Macro: 0.39" - 1.8' / 1 - 55 cm (Wide)

OR THIS ONE

Canon PowerShot S3 IS 6.0MP Digital Camera

The sleek PowerShot S3 IS digital camera offers you high resolution, an extra-long zoom, and advanced yet easy-to-use movie functions. Whether you’re shooting photos or video, this powerful 12X Optical Zoom with Optical Image Stabilization brings you closer to life's moments. It's perfect for sporting events, school plays and more.
Purchase service plan

Product Features

2.0" Vari-Angle LCD

Zoom While Shooting 30FPS VGA Movie With Stereo Sound

Sports Mode For Optimized Auto Focus

DIGIC II imaging processor enables fast start-up time, extended battery life and faster processing speed.

16:9 Wide Mode (2816 x 1584 Pixels Still Only)

Super Macro shooting as close as 0 cm (0-10 cm Wide)

ISO Sensitivity: Auto, High Auto ISO, ISO 80/100/200/400/800 Equivalent

Flash Range: Normal: 50 cm - 5.2 m (W), 90 cm - 4.0 m (T)

Included In Box: Interface Cable IFC-400PCU, Digital Solutions Software Disk, 16MB Memory Card, 4 x "AA" Batteries, Stereo Video Cable STV-250N

Remali
18th November 2006, 01:47 AM
I also have the Sony Cybershot 4.1 megapixel too (Cybershot DSC P-73) and I love it......it has a nice little zoom, lots of options, does movies.....and does nice sepia shots like this.....

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c91/Remali24/smallerpicofsepiabailey.jpg

Maxxs_Mummy
18th November 2006, 10:43 AM
I've got a Kodak C340 and I love it. It didn't cost me a penny either as I won it in a competition, complete with printer dock :D You can zoom in or fade out on things and also change the colours to sepia, b&w and special effects as well as shoot videos. It is REALLY easy to operate too :D

It took me about 6 months to even find the courage to get it out of the box as I'm a bit of a wimp when it comes to stuff like that but I honestly can't believe how easy it is to use :D

Barbara Nixon
18th November 2006, 10:47 AM
If you google for photographic magazines, many have free to view reports on camera models.

My Canon G6 is now obsolete. Someone asked me to find the website I bought it from , and I found there's now a G7. They are worse than computers, for getting out of date.

Linda
18th November 2006, 07:50 PM
I think we might be going with the Canon A630 I have read the reviews on it and they are all great. It is rated very very well, and it is in my price range. Cdn $349.00 I need a camera especially with Christmas coming. I am going out tommorow to see.

Donna you crack me up, you are always winning things.
:D :D :D :D :D :D

Remali
18th November 2006, 09:19 PM
Canons are GREAT cameras, good luck with your search, let us know what you get!!

judy
19th November 2006, 12:07 AM
renee, that's a great sepia shot--it's a great shot period, i really like the sony cybershot photos i've seen.

linda, i bet the A630 is awesome. it's the next upgrade from the one i have, A620. it was reviews that influenced me in the end, and also it had what were my top priorities, along with good photo quality, i.e. fast action and lots of shots on a charge.

there's a lot of great digital cameras out there so you probably are going to be happy with whatever you get and it's fun and exciting to get a new one. i'm looking forward to hearing about what you get.

here's a couple i got the other day which have an interesting effect. i don't exactly know what caused this effect, its one of the settings, it made it look like zack is in a spotlight. actually the room was like daylight, it wasn't really all dark. i need to try to figure out which setting it was.

http://home.earthlink.net/~jaw/z5503.JPG

http://home.earthlink.net/~jaw/zimgtool1.jpg

Linda
19th November 2006, 02:02 AM
ONG Judy

I love it, not being rude sweetie but I luv those pics of Zack more so than any others you have posted of him. He looks stunning. :D :D :D :D

Oh I am so excited I love the quality of the pictures.

Frank wants to wait until after Xmas to buy it but I am going tommorow with or without him.

Nicki
19th November 2006, 12:15 PM
Linda,
If most of your shots are going to be of the doggies then the most important issue is 'shutter lag. The time taken from pressing the shutter to the shot being taken. With a long delay you miss the action and it becomes very frustrating.
If your hands aren't too steady, then image stabilisation is very useful. Although built-in flash can help indoors.

Generally, with compact cameras, the lens quality is pretty much of a muchness. Its when you start looking at Digital SLR cameras that the differences are more discernible.

Also bear in mind the type of storage card used. Presumably you already have one with your existing camera? They're not expensive now, but its worth considering.

Have fun :D

{Lulu Trevor wrote this for me!!! - have fun shopping, it's great if you can actually try the camera in your hand to see if you like the size and weight and where the buttons are - you need to feel comfortable using it and the controls you use most need to be readily accessible}

Barbara Nixon
19th November 2006, 12:47 PM
I think the setting may be portrait, which focusses out the background, the low light making the background darker,as well.

It really is worth shopping round for camera cards. I saw some cheap on eBay, but as they were from abroad, you risk getting done on import taxes etc.

I looked in one of the camera magazines and saw a company in England with a good price on IGb Kingston. Too my delight, when I rang, I was told the price was £2 cheaper, so I bought 2 x 1Gb for just over £30, with next day delivery

Per kb, the larger cards are cheaper, but , beware, as not all cameras will take the larger capacity ones..

Claire L
19th November 2006, 01:10 PM
OK! OK! SO NOW I'M HOOKED!!!
I should have stayed away from this thread :cffee: I love new tech thingies (new word :lol: ) and I have been quite happy with my Canon Powershot G2 which I purchased (actually, hubby bought it for me :D ) in 2000 for €1,140 :yikes . I can't believe how cheap they are now....

Anyways, Judy! those shots are amazing!!!!

You know ,I never knew about time delay/ shutter lag ( :thnku: TREVOR!) and I seem to have a pretty long time delay (hence, the quality of my :snap: 's) So NOW!!! out of all the camera models mentioned above, which one should I get???????
I am going to the states for Christmas so it would be the perfect time to buy. I had a look on Target and the prices are very reasonable -would all you US folks agree???

Please h*lp

Nicki! you gotta get Trevor on here!!!
and seeing as how you're so much into photography - more pics of your babies please!!!!!!

:flwr: :flwr: :flwr:

arasara
19th November 2006, 03:43 PM
Claire, I didn't know target sold digital cameras!!

We're all hooked on Circuit City, Future Shop, and Best Buy back home, lol :P Be sure to check the prices of all of them. Just give them a call and ask. You'de be surprised at the differences some stores sell the same exact thing for! :yikes

judy
19th November 2006, 10:28 PM
I think the setting may be portrait, which focusses out the background, the low light making the background darker,as well.

i know it wasn't portrait only because i hadn't been using that since i first got the camera, i couldn't remember if it even has a portrait setting but if found it. i tried it and it doesn't do that thing with the lighting and the dark background. Now i think what it was, from trying things out right now, was metering. There's this one menu where you can choose between three metering choices and i always have it on the one they say is for most shooting conditions, it's called Evaluative. The other two are Center Weighted Average and Spot. I think i put it on Spot the other day for some reason, and that might be how that effect came out. I'm still not sure because i was trying it just now, and on some shots it does darken the surroundings, but on others it doesn't.

It really is worth shopping round for camera cards. I saw some cheap on eBay, but as they were from abroad, you risk getting done on import taxes etc.

I got a Sandisk 1 gigabyte SD memory card, they are cheap. I just saw one on eBay for 2.49 pounds Buy It Now plus 10 pounds shipping, and a US one for $15 Buy it Now. I remember when i got my first digital camera (1999) and i got a 64MB card for around $200, Compact Flash i believe. things have changed.

I looked in one of the camera magazines and saw a company in England with a good price on IGb Kingston. Too my delight, when I rang, I was told the price was £2 cheaper, so I bought 2 x 1Gb for just over £30, with next day delivery

great price!

judy
19th November 2006, 10:50 PM
...I have been quite happy with my Canon Powershot G2 which I purchased (actually, hubby bought it for me :D ) in 2000 for €1,140 :yikes . I can't believe how cheap they are now....

Anyways, Judy! those shots are amazing!!!!

thanks! I have a whole batch of them and lots of them look cool like that with the lighting. i wish i knew more about the camera and how to get it to do different things. The manual is good, well organized, but the language isn't familiar to me, it's photo language, metering, white balance, AF, AE, i have only a dim sense of what any of those things mean, even though i've read what they mean, it hasn't really sunk in too well.

wow, 1,140 pounds! in 1999 i got a Nikon Coolpix 950 for $900 or so and i thought that was extreme. Cheap compared to yours. It was abot 2.1MP i think. It was bulky, heavy, and it seemed the batteries were never charged. I got a few great looking photos though. but the one i just got in september is way easier to use and only $249 + tax.

You know ,I never knew about time delay/ shutter lag ( :thnku: TREVOR!) and I seem to have a pretty long time delay (hence, the quality of my :snap: 's) So NOW!!! out of all the camera models mentioned above, which one should I get???????

Lots of them have fast shutter speed. That was one of the main priorities i had in looking for a camera. I had been using a Pentax S40 ($100 new on ebay) which was fine until i got Zack, but definitely not very good for spontaneous shots, very slow, and not just the shutter speed--another important performance thing for me is starting the camera--the Pentax was really slow, by the time it started, forget it. Like if you see something cute and you want to reach for your camera and take a picture, you have to turn it on first. the new one i got starts up fast, and it makes just a soft little noise that Zack doesn't seem to notice (a little chime). The Pentax made a louder sharper sound that always got zack's attention, so whatever he was doing that i wanted to shoot, he would forget about that and look over at the camera to see what all the noise was about.

I am going to the states for Christmas so it would be the perfect time to buy. I had a look on Target and the prices are very reasonable -would all you US folks agree???

Sara mentions Circuit City--i tried to buy mine on Circuit City, it's so convenient, you order on line and then you can go pick it up at the store, within a few minutes, you don't have to wait for shipping, or pay for shipping for that matter. But they had run out of the camera i wanted, it was being discontinued because a newer model was coming out. I did a websearch to look on price grabber or one of those to see what price i could get (Circuit City had the best price) and i found a place in Montana I'd never heard of called Vanns, lowest price. I called them on the phone to ask some questions about returns, refunds, etc, and it was all good. It was shipped immediately and got to me fast, and i gave them a high customer review.

There is a huge range of prices on these cameras, it's good to shop around because one place will have it for $100 more than another place. Circuit City had among the lowest prices. I'm sure Target has low prices too. I think most of those big electronics/appliance stores, including Best Buy for sure, if you find the camera for a lower price somewhere else, they will give you that price. Even if you buy the item and find a better price a couple of days later, they'll give you the better price and refund part of your money. So if you go to one of those places, look on line, find the lowest price you can and print up the ad, take it with you to the big store and ask for that price if they have the one you want.

Nicki
19th November 2006, 10:51 PM
OK Claire I have some photos to sort out, will try to get around to it for you!!

If you PM me a budget for the camera, what you want to use it for - eg dogs, landscape, flowers etc, any other special requirements ie if you already have storage cards what sort of format they are and if you want the same...I will get hubby to do some research for you and come up with a short list.

The disadvantage of buying in the US is that you could have problems with the warranty as it will prob only be valid in the US...

Remali
19th November 2006, 11:13 PM
Thanks Judy! The photos you took of Zack are so cute!! Your camera takes gorgeous photos!

Linda
19th November 2006, 11:35 PM
We'll we went out to have a look at the camera's. :snap:

We ended up at Costco hubby really liked the
Canon Power Shot SD550 Digital ELPH he really liked how compact it is and it is Titantium and it has a Liithiuam Battery. :snap:

I love Costco the return policy is outstanding, you can exchange this camera for a full refund up to one year. :w*w:

So although I loved your camera Judy we went with this one, I believe it has tons of features just a lot of reading on learning how to use it.

The battery is charging now and I will try snapping a few shots and post them, I am hoping it has the same feature that you used in the pictures you took of Zack. We ended up spending more than we planned on :shock: :shock: :shock:

I am not worried as if I am not happy I will return it, I think a few have used this one and are happy with it.

Too many to choose from and too many buttons are confusing for me. :sl*p:

judy
19th November 2006, 11:43 PM
One other feature that has been more important to me than i realized before i got the camera is continuous shooting, for shooting a moving dog (and they do tend to move). I had continuous shooting on my other cameras but didnt' use it much because those cameras weren't so fast and easy to use.

Continuous shooting means you can hold down the shooting button like you would to shoot one photo, but you keep holding it down and the camera keeps taking pictures until you let go of the button.

Many digital cameras have this. The one i have is pretty fast, a couple of photos a second without the flash! With the flash, it's it's still almost that fast.

With continuous shooting, i get a lot of useless photos and some real gems mixed in that i couldn't have planned. It's like shooting a video and then taking frames you like and making photos out of them, but with video, the resolution is low and the photos tend to be grainy, while with continuous shooting, it's the normal high quality photos, depending on your settings.

judy
20th November 2006, 12:14 AM
Linda!! congratulations! Those are GREAT cameras, i think they have most everything the A series cameras have as far as performance goes, i mean, (very important to me), i think they are nice and fast, start up fast, focus fast, short time between shots, and they have continuous shooting, or, i think it's also called "burst mode." The photos are going to be great. That small size is very appealing, that was something i was torn about, my pre-existing camera, Pentax S40 (very slow) was small like that, flat, like a cell phone almost, and every time i handled it, i felt happy, after my previous digital camera which was clunky. for me,, the A620 turned out to be a pleasant surprise on size. It's not as flat or thin as the Pentax and ELPHs but it still easily goes into my jeans pockets, front and back. Still, there's something extremely sexy about that small design. i can't wait to see your photos.

That IS an awesome guarantee with one year for a full refund. I am going to start shopping at CostCo, good choice!

I think the setting that caused that effect with the darkened background is metering, i have three metering choices and i think that effect was caused by the choice called Spot. but still not sure. Like you said, SO MANY BUTTONS! i wish i had someone to teach me how to get more out of the thing. When i get photos that aren't so great, i know the likelihood is that i have set it on the wrong setting for what i'm trying to do. I know that the automatic setting is supposed to be adequate on a good digicam but on mine, you can't use continuous drive shooting in Auto mode so i never use it because i like to have the continuous mode always available for tracking a moving dog.

I'm glad you made the plunge before Christmas--it's a very photogenic time of year. photos soon please.... :flwr:

Om's Mom
20th November 2006, 03:59 AM
Hi! Just posted an introduction. I registered to join the camera chat here. :)

I've been looking at the digitals. I am captivated by the Canon Rebel XTi which would take my old EOS Rebel II lenses. I like that the XTi will snap three pictures/second.

The XTi is spendy. And bulky. But quality??? I'm thinking it must be good.(10MP) I would like zoom and closeup capabilities, also.

Love the snapshot of the tricolor with the spotlight effect. That is so cool.

Nicki (hi! :flwr:) I've long admired the photos you and Hubby submit here. Would you mind saying what camera(s) you use?
Here's a photo of Omlette looking at one of Nicki's pictures.
http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p72/OmsMom/OmatComputer.jpg

Nicki
20th November 2006, 10:53 AM
We ended up at Costco hubby really liked the
Canon Power Shot SD550 Digital ELPH he really liked how compact it is and it is Titantium and it has a Liithiuam Battery. :snap:

YAY CONGRATULATIONS!!!

I'm sure you will be really pleased with that....it's known as the Digital IXUS 750 over here...and has pretty good reviews.

It has a 2.5" screen which is nice.

There is always a lot to learn with a new camera so spend a little time with the manual, and experiment, you need to get used to handling it so using the controls becomes automatic.

It is worth shooting at the best possible quality, even if you're only planning on taking photos to put up on the forum, as you might just get a really good shot that you'd like to blow up and frame.

I can't wait to see some results!!

:snap: :snap: :snap:

judy
20th November 2006, 10:53 AM
...Love the snapshot of the tricolor with the spotlight effect. That is so cool....

thanks. i thought it was cool too but am not sure how it happened. wish i could learn how to use my camera. :? i'd like to do more like that but am not sure how. my theory is that it was because i had the spot metering setting on, whereas the default setting on the camera is the evaluative metering setting. anyway i posted some more photos from that batch in the general gallery forum--

http://cavaliertalk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=5054

most are over exposed on the light parts. would love to learn how to control stuff like that. i got some more that weren't overexposed, but i liked the expressions in the ones i picked better.

I like your photo of om using the computer. :lol:

after reading your post i read a review of the rebel xti on the Digital Cameras Resource Page.
http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/canon/digital_rebel_xti-review/index.shtm

I was drooling over it, great photo quality, fast performance.
One thing he says it doesn't have though that i think i'd want is spot metering. I think that dark background effect on those photos i just posted, which i like, may have been caused by having the spot metering setting on.

the other thing i like having on my non-SLR camera is being able to shoot video with sound sometimes. But when it comes to photo quality, the rebel XTi sounds excellent, including low noise at higher ISO speeds. It can shoot good shots in low light, gotta love that.

Nicki
20th November 2006, 11:09 AM
[quote="Om's Mom"]Nicki (hi! :flwr:) I've long admired the photos you and Hubby submit here. Would you mind saying what camera(s) you use?
Here's a photo of Omlette looking at one of Nicki's pictures.
[img]

Dorothy it's wonderful to see you here :flwr: :flwr: :flwr:

A very big welcome to you and darling Omlette - my last e-mail was returned so I lost contact with you, so sorry :(

Glad that Omlette has developed an appreciation of photography :D

I'm really glad you've come out of lurk mode...and looking forward to hearing and seeing a lot more of Omlette, she's so beautiful...

When you feel up to it, maybe you could add your precious Dickins to the in memorium section, he was a lovely boy. :flwr:

Oh and I think we've had another new addition since last contact, Kyla, the wee girlie in my avatar...she's 6 1/2, another retired show/breeding dog. She's so sweet and gentle, a wonderful companion for Rupert. Trevor took that one on the 5D.

With regard to cameras, I have a Canon Powershot A85, which I've had for a couple of years. It's easy to carry around all the time, and is pretty good for what it is. It is a good "point and shoot" but I also learned a lot about photography on it, using the creative modes. Once I had that confidence, I went up to the 350D - which is the Rebel in the US- that was just brilliant, really pleased with it and it took some great photos, a HUGE difference in quality from the A85.

I have now gone up to the 10MP 400D {Rebel XTi in the US} which has a much better screen and lots of functions that I really like, including counting down the exposure time which is great for night photography - very long exposures.

I guess it's only bulky compared to a compact, as it's one of the smallest Digital SLRs available. It's great for macro work {Close up} and of course it'a brilliant that you can change lenses, I use a 10-22 for landscape and the 24-105 {which is expensive but fantastic} for most other things...the macro lens is 100mm and it's also great for portraits, including the dogs.

Yes the quality is excellent, I'm really pleased with the images from it...

Trevor has the Canon 5D, which is superb, but a bit beyond me...ok I admit I'm frightened of it :lol: one day maybe!!

Nicki
20th November 2006, 11:28 AM
wish i could learn how to use my camera. :? i'd like to do more like that but am not sure how. my theory is that it was because i had the spot metering setting on, whereas the default setting on the camera is the evaluative metering setting.

Yes it would be because you had spot metering on - the camera has exposed for the highlights {the brightest bits} throwing the rest into shadow.

One thing he says it doesn't have though that i think i'd want is spot metering. I think that dark background effect on those photos i just posted, which i like, may have been caused by having the spot metering setting on.

You should still be able to achieve a similar effect, using partial metering...perhaps look at the whole picture before dismissing it for one special effect :D

the other thing i like having on my non-SLR camera is being able to shoot video with sound sometimes. But when it comes to photo quality, the rebel XTi sounds excellent, including low noise at higher ISO speeds. It can shoot good shots in low light, gotta love that.

I don't think any of the Digital SLRs shoot video...maybe keep your compact for that, and progress to an SLR for the photography.

It can be very helpful to buy some of the digital photography magazines, there is a vast range out there, suited to everyone from beginners upwards. You can learn a lot from those, and that should help you learn how to use the camera to the extent of its capabilities.

Om's Mom
20th November 2006, 05:49 PM
Judy wrote,"i'd like to do more like that but am not sure how. my theory is that it was because i had the spot metering setting on, whereas the default setting on the camera is the evaluative metering setting."

Judy, have a go at experimenting with that. The effect is too cool to give up on. Or, take the photo and camera to your camera shop and pick an experts' brain. :)

Nicki, maybe you try with the partial metering idea? Only way I can guess to do it -and I have not used my camera much in a long time- would be a dark room with flash on....

Judy, the shots posted in the gallery are great. I love the one where he's showing his pearly whites after eating the sam's yam....maybe they'd buy it from you for an ad campaign icon_whistling

:flwr: Dorothy & Omlette

Om's Mom
20th November 2006, 06:26 PM
Nicki, we thank you for the warm welcome.

Yes, Omlette does appreciate photos. If she is on my lap while doggie photos are on screen, she does show an especial interest. Like she recognizes her breed :roll:

I will post a couple photos of my little Dickens in the memorium section. He was photogenic and comical.
I need to figure out how to do the little pix that appears next to everyones' post :sl*p:

OOOO you already own the XTi. :w*w: It is lightweight -18 ounces, I think. The bulk and weight will be with the EF75-300mm zoom. That's a pretty good lens for the wildlife who may be fairly close by. (We had deer, elk, and even a couple moose, wander through our "backyard.") My other lens is 35-80mm.

My current camera is the Canon EOS Rebel S II. I never got comfortable with it, though the Canon TLB, my first SLR, was a breeze.

I have "visited" the XTi at Costco several times. If I were a Cavalier, I'd be spining, sneezing, chuffing, barking and wagging like crazy while the camera person demonstrates it. As it is, I just drool and slobber :yikes

:flwr: Dorothy and Omlette
Dickens at Rainbow

Om's Mom
21st November 2006, 01:38 AM
Nicki, I've been looking through messages with no luck finding your introduction for Jack and Kyla, who is a very pretty lady. Kyla "Looks" sweet.

Maybe you could PM me or email. Or point me to the intro.

Dorothy and Omlette
and Little Dickens at Rainbow Bridge.

Linda
21st November 2006, 01:20 PM
You should still be able to achieve a similar effect, using partial metering...perhaps look at the whole picture before dismissing it for one special effect

Oh Nicki what would we do without all Trevor's expertise and yours too sweetie, I was looking through the manual in the SD550 Elph to see if it has this feature and it does, I am so happy as I really like that feature just have to figure out how to use it.
:D :D :D :D

Roxanne
21st November 2006, 06:46 PM
Cant wait to see your pics Linda !!

Nicki
21st November 2006, 07:29 PM
Dorothy, this is Kyla's introduction...

http://www.cavaliertalk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3832&highlight=jack

and this is Jack's

http://www.cavaliertalk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1908&highlight=jack

and this is Jack's sister Whitney {same parents, different litter}...

http://www.cavaliertalk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2177&highlight=jack

{sadly Alison's Honey is now at the Bridge :( :( }

Molly's mom
22nd November 2006, 04:50 AM
I just purchased the Canon S3 from Amazon.com last week. What had become very important to me over the years was a good zoom. The canon s3 has a 12x optical zoom that is fabulous. Hubby and I went to a pro football game over the weekend, we sat in the nose bleed seats and I was able to get some great shots. The only negative is that the camera is larger than my last canon, which I am getting used to, but that is the trade off I guess for the great zoom. It also has the continuous shooting mode and can take up to an hour of video.

Here are a couple of examples:
http://static.flickr.com/105/303282960_800c5c9179.jpg
http://static.flickr.com/110/303286297_70d14e9786.jpg

Om's Mom
22nd November 2006, 05:24 AM
Molly is so pretty! Those Canon S3 shots are very good, Molly's Mom. I took a look (online) at the S3. It certainly is versatile and your pictures attest to quality. Plus, it appears to be a handy size.

Dorothy & Omlette

molly
22nd November 2006, 05:30 AM
Molly is so pretty...hmmmm...could it be the name :badgrin: icon_whistling .

I love the pictures you got with this camera. Did you take the picture of Molly with a flash? No alien eyes! I love that and it is what I have been looking for. I am going to check this camera out. Thanks for the info.

Jen114
22nd November 2006, 09:30 PM
Hello Everyone...

I just spoilt my self and bought a Canon G7 .... i am so excited to take some good pictures i plan to do so over hte weekend.... by the time i finish work it is dark already and i am fed up taking pictures of my house hahaha

Any hints on taking a good picture ;)

>>>

Linda
22nd November 2006, 09:46 PM
Molly is so pretty...hmmmm...could it be the name .

Molly it is true beauty for you both :D :D

I am still trying to figure out this metering thing, it is not working the way it should. Of course I have no idea what I am doing, Hubby tried last night and the battery went dead. By the time it re-charged, he could'nt be bothered. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

I want that feature, maybe it will take till the wkd.

Here is a picture I snapped of Dudley, without me having any special features on.
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y77/ddd123/DudleyPillow.jpg

Remali
22nd November 2006, 11:38 PM
Wow, beautiful photos!! Everyone does such a great job taking pictures of their Cavaliers, Dudley and Molly are both gorgeous! Very cute pictures of them both.

Linda
23rd November 2006, 01:34 AM
I am so frustrated, I am doing everything this darn camera is saying to do and I still can't get that metering to work.

I think I am going to call Canyon, anyone else know anything about metering.

We should have a camera party, boggle our minds. :yikes :yikes

Nicki get Trevor on here, or I am coming over for a holiday. ;) ;)

judy
23rd November 2006, 05:18 AM
Linda! I just saw your avatar on another thread--i gather that is from the new camera?! that one and this one of little duddums wuddums are very nice, the color is rich and they are so clear.

About batteries--i think it's very worthwhile to have at least two, so that you have one charged when the other runs out. You should be able to get a spare battery for cheap on eBay, not to mention Costco. I have two sets of rechargeables. i got a camera case for the camera at best buy and keep the extra set of charged batteries in there.

you've really whetted my appetite for more pix of your guys. Darby looks so innocent in the avatar. it's great how they pose for the camera. waiting patiently for more... icon_whistling

tuna
23rd November 2006, 05:52 AM
The built in flash on non SLR cameras is terrible, its best to take photos without it, which means going outside where there is plenty of light.

judy
23rd November 2006, 06:11 AM
The built in flash on non SLR cameras is terrible, its best to take photos without it, which means going outside where there is plenty of light.

that's been one of my challenges, to figure out how to use the non SLR camera indoors without the flash. I get an occasional good clear photo with nice colors--i can't use the higher ISO, too much noise. I am not at all clear about what accounts for the occasional good photos indoors without flash. There's a menu option for turning the power up or down on the flash--not sure if that's what it's called--it makes the flash stronger or weaker, more or less bright. On my custom setting, i have it set to default to the lower flash brightness. What about the flash on SLR cameras? Can they get natural looking photos?

Nicki
23rd November 2006, 09:02 AM
Oh that's lovely of Dudley Lulu, a wonderful photo.

Nicki get Trevor on here, or I am coming over for a holiday.

Is that a promise??? I'm DEFINITELY not letting him on here then if it means you coming over!!!

Sorry you're struggling, and I don't mean to upset you Judy, but it would have involved rather a large element of luck to get the photos of Zack lit like that - the camera metered on the highlights on Zack, setting a faster shutter speed and underexposing the background.

Lulu you could try using exposure compensation, try dropping it -1 or -2 stops to speed up the exposure.

It's very hard to get natural photos using on camera flash - you also tend to get red eye. The red eye correction on cameras is set for human eyes not dogs unfortunately - maybe one day the manufacturers will realise there is a market for red eye correction for dogs :lol:

We use a flash gun, which fits onto the top of the digital SLR, which gives a natural light, esp if you bounce it off the ceiling. The Christmas photo shoot - which I still need to upload the photos from! - we used two flash guns.

It's best to photograph outdoors if you possibly can, esp at this time of year when you get some really good light.

It's definitely worth having a spare set of batteries, and if you are outdoors, keep the spare set in your pocket or close to your body, to keep them warm. Batteries discharge quicker at lower temperatures.

Molly is so sweet - glad you are enjoying the new camera.
The canon s3 has a 12x optical zoom that is fabulous
That is definitely worth having, always go for optical zoom, digital zoom just means that itis is extracting more information from the same pixels, so the quality drops.

tuna
23rd November 2006, 10:40 AM
Discussing photography can get complex really quickly. If you really want to take good photos, I'd recommend a little research on photography techniques and terminology. Whilst having a really fancy camera helps, at the end of the day its the photographer that presses the button!

Linda
23rd November 2006, 02:42 PM
I totaly have no clue what I am doing.

I forwarded your PM to Frank, I will just have to settle for regular pics for now.

Oh that's lovely of Dudley Lulu, a wonderful photo.

Nicki get Trevor on here, or I am coming over for a holiday.

Is that a promise??? I'm DEFINITELY not letting him on here then if it means you coming over!!!

I am still coming you know. :D
Dudley, Darby, Me, Derrick & The Camera. :D :D :D

Claire
23rd November 2006, 03:08 PM
Linda - what a great avatar - and I can't believe you have so many names in your household beginning with D..... same in mine, my dad is Derek, there there is Darren (my hubby), David (my brother in law) and Dean (my nephew)....

Linda
23rd November 2006, 04:15 PM
Linda - what a great avatar - and I can't believe you have so many names in your household beginning with D..... same in mine, my dad is Derek, there there is Darren (my hubby), David (my brother in law) and Dean (my nephew)....

Claire

When we had our first son, I wanted to call him Evan afer my father but thought that my Stepfather would get offended so decided against it.

So we called the 1st born Daniel Tyler, then came the second which we thought would be different to also call him a name that started with "D", I had a little girls name all picked out as I swore up and down that Derrick was a girl, anyway we could not break the tradition when # 3 came along so we just kept going. Can you believe hubby actually almost had me talked into #4. :sl*p: :sl*p: :sl*p: :sl*p:
I told him only if he could guarantee me a Wee Lassie. :flwr: :flwr:

So when we got the dogs, we carried on with the tradition. :D :D :D :D
When we got Dudley the breeder only had two males to choose from but we did not chose Dudley he choose us.

As for Darby I am sure you remember that story but If Darby had been a girl I may of broke that tradition and called him "SASSY" just because it suits his personality. :yikes :yikes :yikes

Again I think that boy's hormones are in overdrive right now. icon_whistling icon_whistling icon_whistling icon_whistling

judy
23rd November 2006, 06:28 PM
....Sorry you're struggling, and I don't mean to upset you Judy, but it would have involved rather a large element of luck to get the photos of Zack lit like that - the camera metered on the highlights on Zack, setting a faster shutter speed and underexposing the background.

Lulu you could try using exposure compensation, try dropping it -1 or -2 stops to speed up the exposure.....

it doesn't upset me--that was the whole thing, that i don't konw how it happened and don't know how to duplicate it, but i'm glad it happened. So i think you're saying the camera automatically sets the shutter speed and exposure, and in that case, it decided to create that effect.

The camera does allow you to manually set shutter speed and aperature opening, but my efforts to play with those have been pretty meaningless. I haven't gotten any control or much understanding over what's happening with that.

i do sometimes, not all the time, notice a difference resulting from choosing different metering settings. Sometimes it makes no difference, the lighting all looks lthe same, no matter which one i use.

it's the thanksgiving holiday here and we're going to have dinner with the family and my cousin (name Linda incidentally) has been into photography for years and uses both SLR and automatic digital. I'm going to bring my laptop and camera and show her the photos and see what she says.

i did find that if i take a photo of a an open window in the day time from the inside, that effect occurs, the window is light and bright, and the surroundings are dark, even though in the room, it's daylight and not dark. It seems the best way to learn to use the camera is to spend lots of time with it, which i don't often have available. Reading articles is a good idea, there are lots on the web, as well as forums, including for various experience and ability levels.

I have an SLR camera that i haven't used, it's years old, it was my dad's and i got it when he died, it's has lenses and flashes. Not being used in a long time, i know isn't good for it. Of course, it's a film camera, not sure how fun that could be. I can't remember the model off hand, it's a Canon, EOS AE1 I think. Before that, i had a Pentax 35mm K1000 that i got cheap at a moving sale. before that i had a cheap little automatic camera (film) and the Pentax snapped the best photos i ever got indoors and out, the color was more alive, and they were clear in a lifelike-way. Then, i traded it in at a store for an Olympus fully automatic expensive camera, cost several hundred, and the photos were never as good as the Pentax, which i regretted getting rid of. The olympus, a fully automatic film camera, was always a disappointment. then years later i got the nikon coolpix digital and got some good pictures, but never as easy to get good pictures as with the pentax SLR.

judy
23rd November 2006, 06:29 PM
....Sorry you're struggling, and I don't mean to upset you Judy, but it would have involved rather a large element of luck to get the photos of Zack lit like that - the camera metered on the highlights on Zack, setting a faster shutter speed and underexposing the background.

Lulu you could try using exposure compensation, try dropping it -1 or -2 stops to speed up the exposure.....

it doesn't upset me--that was the whole thing, that i don't konw how it happened and don't know how to duplicate it, but i'm glad it happened. So i think you're saying the camera automatically sets the shutter speed and exposure, and in that case, it decided to create that effect.

The camera does allow you to manually set shutter speed and aperature opening, but my efforts to play with those have been pretty meaningless. I haven't gotten any control or much understanding over what's happening with that.

i do sometimes, not all the time, notice a difference resulting from choosing different metering settings. Sometimes it makes no difference, the lighting all looks lthe same, no matter which one i use.

it's the thanksgiving holiday here and we're going to have dinner with the family and my cousin (name Linda incidentally) has been into photography for years and uses both SLR and automatic digital. I'm going to bring my laptop and camera and show her the photos and see what she says.

i did find that if i take a photo of a an open window in the day time from the inside, that effect occurs, the window is light and bright, and the surroundings are dark, even though in the room, it's daylight and not dark. It seems the best way to learn to use the camera is to spend lots of time with it, which i don't often have available. Reading articles is a good idea, there are lots on the web, as well as forums, including for various experience and ability levels.

I have an SLR camera that i haven't used, it's years old, it was my dad's and i got it when he died, it's has lenses and flashes. Not being used in a long time, i know isn't good for it. Of course, it's a film camera, not sure how fun that could be. I can't remember the model off hand, it's a Canon, EOS AE1 I think. Before that, i had a Pentax 35mm K1000 that i got cheap at a moving sale. before that i had a cheap little automatic camera (film) and the Pentax snapped the best photos i ever got indoors and out, the color was more alive, and they were clear in a lifelike-way. Then, i traded it in at a store for an Olympus fully automatic expensive camera, cost several hundred, and the photos were never as good as the Pentax, which i regretted getting rid of. The olympus, a fully automatic film camera, was always a disappointment. then years later i got the nikon coolpix digital and got some good pictures, but never as easy to get good pictures as with the pentax SLR. i should try out the Canon SLR i have. But going back to using film....i dont' know about that... i gather the digital SLRs are dramatically better (photo quality) than the auto digitals?

Claire L
29th November 2006, 09:47 PM
:? :? :? I've read :cffee: and re read :cffee: all the above posts and I still don't know which camera (if any) I should get :bang:
So !! I have a Canon Powershot G2 but I would like to get something a bit better. As I have Champagne taste but only a beer budget I wish only to spend $300 or less . So pleeeeaaaaasseee can somebody help me?????

I want to take close ups/ landscapes and group shots .
Oh! and I also want to do that thingy with the light metering -that's cool .

{{{{{{{{{{TREVOR!!!}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

When I'm calling you ou ou ou ou ou ou ou !!!!!!!! :D
:flwr: :flwr:

Nicki
29th November 2006, 09:48 PM
Sorry Claire only just seen this...will get Trevor onto it!!! :lol:

Claire L
29th November 2006, 09:53 PM
Thanks Nicki :flwr:

Mimi
29th November 2006, 10:27 PM
Hi claire ,
Do you intend to enlarge your photographs ? If you dont 4 million pixels on the G2 are enough to give you great photographs up to 7x5 . the G2 has a very high quality lens and CCD . Make sure your file size is set to large and the picture quality set to superfine . If there is a tiff setting use it . Invest in a wide angle adapter or teleconversion adapter or macro adapter and an external flash if you dont have one . all Canon brand . also lots of memory cards for the big file sizes . Set white balance to auto for most applications and ISO to 100 for maximum sharpness . The cameras on the market aroung € 300 at the moment are . Fuji Z3 , Olympus mju 700 , Olympus FE200 , Canon ixus i5 zoom , ixus i7 zoom , nikon l1 I ( I think ) . While they are all great digital cameras the canon G range comes from a range of pro sumer cameras aimed at an entheuasist , and has all the settings mannually available . The € 300 budget will not stretch to this and I feel you would be reducing your camera quality .
Save up and buy another G next christmas will probably hit G10 by then .
Hope this helps
Mimi

Claire L
30th November 2006, 04:12 PM
Thanks for that info Mimi -it's a great help :flwr:
There isn't really anything wrong with my Canon G2 except that there are so many different settings on it and I can never remember them so, I have to have the manual with me at all times :lol:

I just figured that because I'll be in the US for Christmas, it would be a great opportunity to get a new one. I love new gadgets and as soon as I saw this thread I thought Yep! I'll get me one too.

What I really need to do is take some photography lessons and maybe then I'll be able to master all this shutter speed/ aperture, light metering , white balance etc :lol: but that's for another day icon_whistling

My son in law has just mailed me and he said that if I were to buy online and have the camera sent to his house then I would save on taxes (6% in CT) so I'm gonna look online later tonight AND the handsome {{Trevor}}} is going to advise me also - aren't I the lucky girl!!!

:flwr: :flwr:
Claire