• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Need Advice on new Digital Camera

Linda

We'll I am going to have to invest in a new digital camera since my darling little son dropped it and it is no longer working. :sl*p: :sl*p: :sl*p: :sl*p: :sl*p: :sl*p:

My hubby can just about fix anything but I think this might be one thing he won't be able to although he has emailed Cannon to ask where the fuse it in the camera.

We had a Canon Power Shot A400, yes don't laugh it is quite old and the delay is awful.

Any suggestions on a good digital would be really really appreciated,
Christmas is coming and I guess I know what I am getting now. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Linda, dear, dont you know Avi is an IT nerd? I will ask him for you what he thinks. :lol:

I just got a Canon SD-450 Elf and I LOVE IT! It's small enough to slip into my purse and I pretty much take it everywhere just in case there's a "Kodak moment" at the grocery store. :roll: It takes wonderful pics and I think its a 5 megapixel with movie mode, etc. I still don't know everything it can do, but here's a link to more info...

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Digi...62+40000857/link/ref/rpem/ccd/categorylist.do

Looks like the SD-600 is on sale and cheaper than the SD-450. It's got more megapixels--better quality printed picture!

I'm an SD Elf fan as well - I've never had a problem with them, they are easy to use and will last a long time. Good luck!!!

my friend who owns a camera shop maintains that Olympus and Nikon make the best lenses.

You need a minimum of 2 million pixels for snaps. Anything more is for enlarging pictures to A4 for example.

I have a Canon G6 and it's brilliant. I managed to get it over here for about £350 ( a US grey import), so it would be much cheaper over there.

My only grouse is that it takes time to focus, but then you get a very clear photo. It's a 7.1 Megapixel.

I was looking at an slr version, but was advised that this, cheaper anyway, was better unless I took photos using the viewfinder; which I don't.

You can see a closeup taken with it on Estelle's 'Update on puppy' thread. This is infereior quality as it's been taken on low resolve and compressed for the net.

I was so impressed with Cathy Moon's avatar pictures, the detail, the lighting, the lifelikeness that i asked her what camera she had. I think it was a Canon A-85 or similar. They are older models so i looked on eBay and found they are still going for up to $200 used, a testament to their qualities. So, i ended up getting basically a current version of the same model, the Canon A-620. It has since been superseded by a newer version which seems to be the same but with more megapixels. The one i got is 7.1 MP and was $249 before shipping from an online seller, Vann's in Montana, very fast delivery, unconditional guarantee, lowest price i could find on the web.

I also looked at and compared the Elfs because small size is important to to me and they are smaller. I looked at the reviews on the Digital Camera Resource Page and some other review sites (you can easily find with google) and decided that after weighing pros and cons, the A-620 was what i needed. The shot delay, start up, flash charging and such are all quite fast, anyway, way faster than any camera i've had before, and that was extremely important to me because i had been frustrated losing good shots of Zack while my other camera was trying to start up or to focus. And the shot quality is terrific, that was an area where at least in the reviews, the larger cameras like the A-620 were rated higher than the smaller ones such as the SDs. Of course, to a non professional like me, i probably would not have been able to tell the difference, but that was one of the things that decided it for me as it was my love of Cathy's photos that inspired my search. As it turns out, i can always fit the camera in my front or back jeans pocket, even though it's not easy like the elfs which i think have the most wonderful design for compactness.

The third criterion for me in choosing a camera that the A-620 excelled on compared to most other digital cameras was how long you can shoot on a battery charge. It allowed for several hundred photos, twice as many as average.

And another plus for me was that it can also use regular AA batteries so if i run out of juice in the two sets i could carry with me of the rechargeables, i can stop into any store and buy 4 AAs and shoot another 400 or 500 photos. I was hesitant about the 4 batteries making the camera heavier than a single lithium or two AAs, but as it turns out, the camera doesn't feel heavy to me at all and seems small and compact. So i've been very happy with it. I just had a three day visit with the most photogenic of dogs, my daughter's Belle, and i took lots of photos which i will try to post in the next few days to show some examples. The camera has some manual options and many automatic options. I especially like a programmable option where you can put your favorite settings in and always have them available at the twist of the dial.

Whatever you get, congratulations! Getting a new camera is so fun. And YOU, Linda, of all people, should not be without one for long, because you have some beautifully photogenic dogs around as well. :D :d*g:

Put me down as a vote for the Canon SD series. I used to have an SD-300, now I have an SD-400. They are up to 600 or 700 now. There are two different bodies for some of the models - one is rounded and a bit bigger than the other. The smaller body is really good. Best balance of size and quality.

I was in Target the other day and was impressed with the Canon-Elph (s-630 or something) if you like pocket size models. 6mps with a really nice large screen for about $299

When Kris and I were looking for a new camera a couple years ago, a short delay was our primary consideration for shooting puppies. What we did was go to a camera store and just start trying all the display models. Unfortunately, all the smaller cameras seemed to have the long delays.

We finally ended up swallowing hard and buying a digital SLR (Nikon D70); BIG bucks! We were then able to buy a close-up lense and a telephoto lens a while later. The problem with it is that it is big like the old film SLR's, so it seldom leaves the house. We still use our small camera with the long delay when we go somewhere.

So if the delay is a big issue, I think you will find the smaller, more manageble cameras will still have quite a delay. Just seems to be the nature of the beast.

Hi ,
I'm a photographer and also run a photographic store as part of our family business . I would recommend you to look no further than olympus . I selected an Olympus compact from the mju / stylus ( in the states ) range for my personal photographs . The photos I have posted of Heidi and Nifa are taken with this . The latest model is called mju 1000 10 million pixels ,image stabilisation a lovely camera . If your budget dosent stretch go for the cheaper mju 700 series , 700 740 or 750 . Stylish , weatherproof 7.1 million pixels . Or to reduce the risk of losing another camera to drop damage try the mju 725 shock proof to 1 metre and waterproof for all those little accidents . the mju range is stylus in the states . Look on the olympus.co.uk website so you can see pictures of them so you'll know what to look for .Hope this is helpful . The olympus cameras over here also have a 2 year guarantee also nice .
Mimi

Anybody know anything about this model
Canon PowerShot A710 IS 7.1MP Digital Camera

The elegant Canon A710 IS is fully equipped to help busy families capture and hold onto special memories. With a powerful 6X optical zoom and Canon's Image Stabilizer Technology, your images will be clear and sharp at every point in the zoom - even in low light. Excellent 7.1MP resolution, easy high-tech operability and a load of creative shooting modes will keep the fun - and great images - coming.
Purchase service plan

Product Features

DIGIC II imaging processor enables fast start-up time, extended battery life and faster processing speed.

Capture continuous videos for up to one hour.

A full-featured camera with 20 shooting modes, 9-point AiAF, ISO 800 and High ISO Auto to reduce image blur and expand low-light shooting capability.

Customize colours before and after shooting with the My Colours function

ISO 800 for significantly reduced camera shake and subject blur

Choose your focus point with Flexizone AE/AF

Optical View Finder

Flash Range (Normal): 1.8' - 11.0' / 55 cm - 3.5 m (W), 1.8' - 8.2' / 55 cm - 2.5 m (T); Macro: 1' - 1.8' / 30 - 55 cm (W-M) (When sensitivity is set to ISO Auto)

Exposure Metering System: Program AE, Shutter Speed-Priority AE, Aperture-Priority AE, Manual

Included In Box: PowerShot A710 IS Body, 2 x "AA" Alkaline Battery, SD Memory Card SDC-16MB, Wrist Strap WS-200, Digital Camera Solution CD-ROM, USB Interface Cable IFC-400PCU, AV Cable AVC-DC300

Focus Range (Normal): 1.8' / 55 cm - Infinity Macro: 0.39" - 1.8' / 1 - 55 cm (Wide)

OR THIS ONE

Canon PowerShot S3 IS 6.0MP Digital Camera

The sleek PowerShot S3 IS digital camera offers you high resolution, an extra-long zoom, and advanced yet easy-to-use movie functions. Whether you’re shooting photos or video, this powerful 12X Optical Zoom with Optical Image Stabilization brings you closer to life's moments. It's perfect for sporting events, school plays and more.
Purchase service plan

Product Features

2.0" Vari-Angle LCD

Zoom While Shooting 30FPS VGA Movie With Stereo Sound

Sports Mode For Optimized Auto Focus

DIGIC II imaging processor enables fast start-up time, extended battery life and faster processing speed.

16:9 Wide Mode (2816 x 1584 Pixels Still Only)

Super Macro shooting as close as 0 cm (0-10 cm Wide)

ISO Sensitivity: Auto, High Auto ISO, ISO 80/100/200/400/800 Equivalent

Flash Range: Normal: 50 cm - 5.2 m (W), 90 cm - 4.0 m (T)

Included In Box: Interface Cable IFC-400PCU, Digital Solutions Software Disk, 16MB Memory Card, 4 x "AA" Batteries, Stereo Video Cable STV-250N

I also have the Sony Cybershot 4.1 megapixel too (Cybershot DSC P-73) and I love it......it has a nice little zoom, lots of options, does movies.....and does nice sepia shots like this.....

smallerpicofsepiabailey.jpg

I've got a Kodak C340 and I love it. It didn't cost me a penny either as I won it in a competition, complete with printer dock :D You can zoom in or fade out on things and also change the colours to sepia, b&w and special effects as well as shoot videos. It is REALLY easy to operate too :D

It took me about 6 months to even find the courage to get it out of the box as I'm a bit of a wimp when it comes to stuff like that but I honestly can't believe how easy it is to use :D

If you google for photographic magazines, many have free to view reports on camera models.

My Canon G6 is now obsolete. Someone asked me to find the website I bought it from , and I found there's now a G7. They are worse than computers, for getting out of date.

I think we might be going with the Canon A630 I have read the reviews on it and they are all great. It is rated very very well, and it is in my price range. Cdn $349.00 I need a camera especially with Christmas coming. I am going out tommorow to see.

Donna you crack me up, you are always winning things.
:D :D :D :D :D :D

renee, that's a great sepia shot--it's a great shot period, i really like the sony cybershot photos i've seen.

linda, i bet the A630 is awesome. it's the next upgrade from the one i have, A620. it was reviews that influenced me in the end, and also it had what were my top priorities, along with good photo quality, i.e. fast action and lots of shots on a charge.

there's a lot of great digital cameras out there so you probably are going to be happy with whatever you get and it's fun and exciting to get a new one. i'm looking forward to hearing about what you get.

here's a couple i got the other day which have an interesting effect. i don't exactly know what caused this effect, its one of the settings, it made it look like zack is in a spotlight. actually the room was like daylight, it wasn't really all dark. i need to try to figure out which setting it was.

z5503.JPG

zimgtool1.jpg

Back