• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Bathing a puppy?

sinecurea

Hi Folks,
Ruby is about 12 weeks old now. Is is Ok to bath puppies of this age and if so, how often should I do it?

Cheers,
S.

It's perfectly fine to bathe a 12 week old, just make sure you don't get any water/shampoo in the ears or eyes and keep them warm after the bath. Some people blow-dry their dogs, but my Chester prefers to run around the house drying himself! If you do blow-dry use the lowest heat so you don't burn the tender puppy skin! Also, at that age they are tiny enough to bathe in the kitchen sink which is much easier on the back than bending over the tub!

Have fun!

I agree, not a bit of problem bathing puppies at that age. In fact, we start giving baths to our litters at somewhere around 4 or 5 weeks; that's about the age they are very mobile and it doesn't bother them a bit to pee or poop and then walk through it!

The less often you can get by with bathing, the better. Kris actually us a conditioner when she uses a shampoo. If it's just a quick rinse to clean muddy feet, then generally no conditioner.

lily said:
so how oftens ok to bath pups do you think??

When they are dirty-- cavaliers seem to smell cleaner longer than any other breed I've ever had. And like Bruce said, some pups don't mind walking through the messes they make outside (or inside) and they might need to be "spot" cleaned daily. If it is a possible show dog I bathe them more frequently than if they are a pet. Sandy

We used to bath them every 2 weeks or so but recently it has been a bit extended with a "spot cleaning" occasionally.

Mine generally get bathed when I cuddle them and then tell them ":yuk: you smell like a dog."

Must use a puppy shampoo for their delicate skin or a really good quality adult shampoo that is not harsh on puppy skin (check with vet ?) I use virbac episoothe and this can also be used on puppies.

I would say no more than every two weeks, but the longer you can leave it the better. I read a good idea on here where someone uses shampoo one fortnight and a warm water wash the next so only getting shampooed every month but bathed twice a month.

Enjoy !

I bathed Amber (like you, a rename ;) ) for the first time at about 12 weeks, and while she wasn't impressed, she didn't do too badly- but make sure the house is warm and have a towel heating so that as soon as you've removed the worst of the damp, you have something warm and cosy to wrap your little puppy in. Even with that, she will still shiver convulsively, but cuddle her for a while and she'll be fine. Once she's only a little damp, bring her into a nice warm room and let her do the zoomies. Obviously do not let her out, especially when it's getting so cold, if she's damp.

I just bathed my 9 week old ruby only an hour ago for the first time as he was a bit wiffy!

I did it quickly on the floor in a washing up bowl, a couple of saucepans and some Pedigree puppy shampoo.

When I finished, he ran to his bed wimpering and shaking with fear. I know Cavaliers are wimps, but I feel terrible! He's wrapped in towels and Ive just let him sleep it off! :?

Thanks for the replies folks!
I guess I just wasn't expecting her to shiver quite so much when she got out!
She hates going into the bathroom now! :(

S.

The shivering is a shock the first time you see it, and they do look so pathetic when wet- although i have to say that Holly at 3 plus looks more pathetic than Amber at not quite four months :D I always swaddle the dog in a warm towel and sit next to the radiator. Silly question- but did you use warm water? I find that CAvs are happy enough in the bath as long as they are nice and warm right throughout the ordeal.

I bathed Lilly yesterday as well. I bathed her in the kitchen sink, she went crazy and started whimpering like she was being murdered. My husband had to help me hold her in the sink. Then like you guys, the shivering afterward was pitiful. Wrapped her in 2 warm towels, but it lasted for a while. She would not let me out put her down and wanted to be held for the longest time. My Lhasa loves her bath so I wasn't prepared for Ms. Sara Bernhardt, as we have started calling Lilly :lol:

Oh you definitely have a drama queen. She'd get along quite well with my drama king!

Both of mine get bathed every two weeks. I alternate between bathing them at home and having my groomer bathe them. I also use puppy shampoo on their faces so the soap doesn't bother their eyes. Sometimes I blow dry them and sometimes I let them air dry. A heck of a lot easier to let them air dry :D

Actually I've recently learned something new about the 'correct' water temperature for bathing dogs - a groomer told me it shouldn't feel that warm on my hands, but not cold, either.

She showed me, and it felt cooler than what I would bathe in. My cavs don't mind lukewarm water at all.

I'm wondering what everyone does.

Warm but nowhere near hot. Holly won't go near a cold bath, and a hot (or even very warm) one makes her overheat.

I always check the water temp on my wrist before and during the bath, and it is only luke warm probably the same temp you would use for a human baby.
I think I must have water babies as they really don't mind the bath and Harry has to be bathed twice a week due to his allergies. In winter i do use a hair dryer as I can not handle the shivering but again on quite a cool setting for their delicate skin.

Bentley is such a goofball, he just LOVES his baths and he nearly jumps right in the tub for me before I'm even ready for him. I usually give him a bath about every 2 weeks or so, especially in the summer, or a good washing of his feet and legs if he gets dirt on his mop-like feet, LOL!

Ozzy will get in the shower in the morning when I am running it to get it warm.... I have to lift him out then he tries to get back in when I get out.... :roll:

Back