• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

cracked paw??

moniechris

Wesley seems a bit sensitive about his front paws. He doesn't want me to touch them and quickly pulls them away when I do. We have a lot of sandspurs in our new back yard and I pulled two out of his hair today. I inspected his feet and I don't feel any splinters, but I do feel a small area of his front paw that will lift, almost like it has a crack. Could this be the issue? Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. How does one treat a cracked paw?

I've never come across that yet. :? You might want to take him to the vet to have it looked at and find out what the vet says. It's always better to catch things early!

BTW, what are sandspurs?

:yikes ow! they look look they would hurt if stepped on! welli dont know if it is serious or not (i am no expert) but id say if he looks like he is in pain all the time take him to the vet...better to get rid of the problem early..heres a thing from a site i came across that could be useful..i dont know though.

Have you noticed that your dog’s paws have dry and cracked pads? There are several remedies you can take:

First, does the dog seem to be in pain? Are the pads bleeding?
If the cracked pads are bleeding or inflamed they should be bandaged and rested. If there seems to be a major infection you should see your vet, but for minor inflammation you can apply a triple-action antibiotic cream and bandage the foot. The easiest bandage to use is a bit of gauze and a dog boot. If you do not have a dog boot available you can use a children’s or infants sock to cover the dog’s paw and secure it with vetwrap or medical tape. (Wrapping the foot will make the dog limp more, but wrapping the ankle only will allow the dog to use its cracked pad paw normally) If you dog will be walking in wet or snowy conditions you may want to use double layers of socks with a plastic baggie in the middle to keep the cracked pad dry.

If the dog does not seem to be in pain from the cracked paw then you should continue your routine of walks and training as normal. Just be sure the cracked pad on the injured paw stays clean. You should apply an ointment such as “Bag Balm” to the paw once or twice a day to help the cracked pad heal. Be careful to not continue to apply the ointment after the cracked pad heals- it’s much better in the long run for your dog to have tough pads than soft, tender ones.

In winter conditions where your dog may be walking on salted concrete you should be extra careful about cracked pads. If the cracks in the pads are minor you can apply petroleum jelly to prevent ice and snow from balling up in between the dog’s pads and refreezing. Dogs with badly cracked pads should not walk on snow or ice in winter without boots or protection- as the salt from sidewalks or roads can be agony in a deep crack. Always rinse your dog’s paws in warm water after a winter walk, as the chemicals used in ice melting products can be poison if your dog licks them off his feet.

Dogs pads heal quickly and with a little bit of TLC your dog’s paws can be healthy within a few weeks.

i dont know if this is the kind of problem u are referring to so yeah..

wow, thanks for that! Wesley's paw isn't inflamed or bleeding. He was just licking his foot a lot and I was trying to figure out what was going on. I found a tiny little patch where the pad is really tough and can be lifted a bit. They also seem really dry. That balm seems like a good idea and I will definitely be cleaning it tonight. Thanks!!

no problem! so how is Wesley doing now??? is he still in pain or has it settled?

I examined it again and cleaned it with bactine. He seems to be much better. I ordered the balm but it is going to take a while to come in, so I have been putting neosporine on it and covering it with a sock. He hates it, but I took it off yesterday to groom him and it looked a lot better. He ran around like a mad man and seemed especially happy that I took the sock off. Thanks!

Did you take him to the vet...... I read somewhere that grass seeds can pass through the pad.

I didn't take him to the vet because he seems fine now. If it continues to be an issue, then I definitely will. I have never heard of seeds passing through the paws...thats interesting.

When I first read about products for the pads of the feet, I thought they were a bit silly and indulgent...but now I guess they are legitmate. In all of my years owning dogs (my entire lifetime) I have never even heard of "paw balm." I guess it is more of an issue for people who live where it freezes and snows...here in sunny florida we don't have that problem. 8) We just have to worry about sandspurs!

Chester had some paw cracks when he was a pup and I did the paw pad balm and sock thing and it worked well. Using the Neosporin is also very good too because it will keep it moist and kill the germs.

Sounds like you're doing the exactly right thing and he'll be fine.

Back