• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Digging, ugh!

cavimom

Okay, lately Lily has taken to finding spots in my yard to dig. She gets the hole just big enough for her head to fit into and eats the dirt and anything else she can find in there. My question is, what is she going after? Is she just digging because that is fun for her or is there something attracting her? Second, how can I get her to stop? Do I spank her? Do I block her access? What?! Help! She goes out to potty and if I leave her to play she finds a spot and goes to town. Plus, I have red clay for dirt here, so her pretty shite paws are now red stained!!!! So is all around her mouth. I am constantly cleaning her! Any suggestions? :?

I would distract her from digging (before she starts) by playing fetch with her, practicing fun obedience with her, or walking her on a lead.

I'd also bring her inside before she starts digging, to help her break the habit.

My cavvies used to get into trouble like that when they were younger and left to their own devices outside. It's better to manage them to prevent the bad habits from starting. :)

I agree completely. There are times though when I am busy doing stuff and she just wants to be outside. In the past it was never a prooblem. She just played, chewed on sticks, rolled around and felt the wind. It is just this week that she started misbehaving. And there are plenty of toys out there for her. I even let my one cat out with her and they play together. Ah well, I guess those days might be over!

Since mine have reached age 3, they've been very good outside - they just sniff around and are not destructive. Also, they've FINALLY stopped trying to eat bark mulch.

I knew the day would come eventually, and it will for you, too. Just gotta be patient! :)

PS: they do sometimes nibble on a little wild rabbit poo :grnyuk: but it's neither dangerous nor destructive.

Light on the horizon....patience....something I need to work on anyhow...

Rabbit poo huh? Good thing we do not have wild rabbits in Pensacola, FL!!!!

Cathy Moon said:
PS: they do sometimes nibble on a little wild rabbit poo :grnyuk: but it's neither dangerous nor destructive.

And if you have house rabbits, they make a right old feast of the poops! lol!

Bertie is forever picking up stray poops the buns have left and if there aren't enough, he will go into their litter boxes to get them, I try stopping him but he still does it behind my back. At least it won't do him any harm.

With my previous dogs and previous buns, well, I thought the buns were really good with their litter habits, Cuddles, my first dog, she had to be put to sleep and then of course I discovered the buns weren't using their litter boxes nearly as much as I thought, Cuddles had been cleaning up after them! lol!

Alison

Back