• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

op

lily

The vet said lily can have her op at 15 weeks so i'm definatley getting her done. I may sound rotten but i couldnt stand her feeling frisky & other dogs trying to jump her... & the mess bless her. Also i'm considering her health benefits to. Have your dogs being ok since the op & any new effects in behaviours etc???

thanks

I think the health issues should be the priority. No pyometra and, according to vets who advocate it, much less chance of mammary tumour, if done before the first season.

Neutering does not guarantee that dogs will not go through the motions (they still have the external equipment and may enjoy the sensation) ; just that there won't be any offspring. My friends dog mounted her bitches well after he was done.

We had Lucy spayed at 6 months and she recovered well and has been fine since (now 9 months old). Apparently there is a chance her coat will now go fluffy but I don't care how it grows. She seems a happy girl so that's all that matters.

We will be having Henry neutered at 6 months approx as well. There are some minor health benefits for neutered dogs. I feel that he will not pester bitches, and will not be likely to shoot off after bitches so I will be happier to let him off lead for a good run when it is safe.

A dog we once had used to mount our bitch briefly even though he was neutered. But all he did was climb vaguely into position and then get off again and look a bit puzzled (what happens next, mum?). He used to do it after his dinner - full of energy then! I notice our 4 month Henry tries to mount Lucy - after he's had his dinner. Other times he doesn't bother.

I'm sure your op will go fine. Your biggest problem will probably be trying to stop her doing too much active stuff afterwards once she gets over the first day or so. Good luck. You are doing the best thing for her - well done.

my two were spayed at 6 months we well..everything went totally fine...getting them spayed gets rid of some of the possible dieseases the dogs can get if they werent spayed..
im sure itll go fine

hi

molly was done after her second season she was fine after the only thing that changed was her coat it did grow thicker and it lost its shine otherwise she was ok

Does your vet prefer to spay Lily at 15 weeks rather than 5-6 months? 15 weeks seems a little young to be spayed! I'm wondering how the decision was reached.
Our vet recommended spaying at 6 months.

My Amber is 15 weeks today, and I'm not getting her spayed until she's five months or so- I told the vet I wanted it done asap, but she said to wait until just before or just after christmas when she'll be coming up to six months. 15 weeks- not even 4 months yet- does seem very young.

Personally I think 15 weeks is far too young .
My sisters cav was spayed at 5 months & she now has very bad hips , Could just be coincidence... but my friend sent me an article that said early neutering could cause hip / joint problems because they bones dont grow normally.

So in future I would wait until 6 1/2 or 7 months , Give they're bones a few more weeks to settle

Is there any particular reason that you're not getting the spay and microchip done at the same time? I got Kosmo done at the same time he was passed out so the chip didn't hurt him. :flwr:

Yes, I've heard that microchipping is somewhat painful. That's why we had India and Geordie microchipped during their spay and neuter surgeries while they were under anesthesia.

think if the vet thought that was best she would have suggested it herself but she didnt. Like AT says, it shouldnt hurt & the vet did advise me.

Wew, 20 weeks sounds better for spaying. We try to encourage our puppy people to wait til about a year old so the bones are mostly through growing, but we don't push hard because we know what a challenge it can be to have a girl in season.

As for the microchips, we chip our puppies when they go for their last checkup, just before they go to their forever homes. We think chipping is important and this way we know it gets done. That is a big needle they use, so we have the vet put a little topical anesthetic on the insertion site. We sometimes get a little yip, but it's not much more than when they get any other shot.

Back