• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Signs of manhood

KingstonsMom

Kingston has started lifting his leg! He doesn't pee on trees or anything...He still squats to go to the bathroom, but now he lifts up his back leg a little off the ground. Is this a good sign that I should get him neutered? He's 6.5 months, but I wanted to wait until at least 8 months to have the operation.

My entire dogs will squat, if they really need a wee and there's nothing to cock on. Neutering doesn't stop all dogs from cocking a leg.

My males both cock their legs. In general I'd wait til 6-12 months to neuter. It's just a sign that his hormones are kicking in and you can expect more male behaviour.

zack started lifting his leg around 6 months and marking, outside. i got him neutered at 7 months. the leg lifting continued in the backyard but not out front on walks. in the backyard, he does it more than half the time but still squats too. On walks for months,, he never peed at all, or maybe once, and didn't mark at all. Then, after some months he has started marking out on walks pretty regularly. not sure why there was this pattern. neutering seemed to help stop and even reverse the progression of marking, and of being overly excited about other dogs, to the point of borderline hysteria. He calmed a bit, but did not lose energy, did not become more likely to sleep, on the contrary, he became more wakefull, at home, he would explore and play almost constantly, and if he laid down, he'd lay for long periods with eyes open, looking at me or other things.

Mine are both neutered and pippin squats. He will ever so slightly lift his back leg sometimes( comical to watch).
While Gus always cocks his leg.

isnt it awful Kingston's mom? I almost cried when Kosmo decided he wanted to lift his leg. I felt like a mommy who's son had just kissed a girl for the first time or something. :( I know it's stupid but he's not a little baby anymore!! :( That said, Kosmo tries to lift sometimes but most of the time (90%) is still squatting. There are these stupid trees that he feels the need to lift on which was alright with me because throughout our whole walk there were only 3 of these trees that were planted in the same area. I came home sometime last week to see that they had planted TWENTY EIGHT new trees in our walk path. :sl*p: :sl*p: I really hope he doesn't think he can lift 28 times!! icon_whistling

Sara, its a good job we don't live where you do - Merlin has to stop at every tree! :lol: :lol: :lol:

i had my baby's neutered at 6 months..they are a bit over 11 months now and Milo just started lifting his leg 2 days ago! i thought since he had never done it before that maybe when he as neutured he wouldnt do it...but no-siree he just started....he still squats but i have seen him now and then lifting his leg...nothing from monty yet! its a relief i guess because now milo has taken an intense liking for peeing on my gate...hmmph! :roll: hes the only one.

Back