• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Constant Tears & Smelly Ears!!!

estelle

Charlie's got constant tears and it always makes his eye's look manky :yuk: It's not green or infectious just water I think, I'm currently using diamond eyes but it's not really doing anything is there something better I could try??. His ears are always smelly too :yuk: I do use Epi-Otic, He's been scratching at them just lately which makes me think mites, but his ears were smelly before he started scratching :?
I read the post on not getting their ears wet during baths and didn't realise we're not supposed to do this :yikes (bad mummy)!! do you think it could be this??
Thanks in advance

He could have an ear infection. I know you've been spending a bit of time at the vets already, but you might want to check that out. Lucky is just getting over one. The floppy ears trap the moisture and then yeast builds up and causes the infection and scratching. I'm not sure Charlie has that but I'd look into that especially as you said his ears are smelly.

For the eyes, I read recently that apple cider vinegar dabbed on the tear stains is good to get rid of them. I'm interested to in if anyone knows about that. I tried it today for the first time with Lucky, but I think it takes about a week to see real results.

Ears shouldn't smell bad-- they shouldn't have a lot of discharge or look irritated. A healthy ear does have a mild smell to it-- but it isn't bad.
Eyes can excessively tear due to excess eyelashes irritating them. The best way to check that out is to go to an eye clinic. If you flush the puddle under the eye with an eye wash (or even clean water) the smell is MUCH less. Sandy

If Charlie's ears smell, he most likely has an infection, and needs to see a vet.

India got a yeast infection in her ears when I forgot to put cotton in her ears when I bathed her. :? Another contributing factor could have been all the rain we had - she'd get her long ears wet sniffing around the yard. We should have dried her thick ears instead of letting them air dry; the hair was damp too much!

I was just reading about yeast infections, and read that a yeast infection in the ears can cause the eyes to water more and get yeast stains near the eyes. I'm going to ask my vet about it next time we're in.

My dogs ears just smell faintly of warm ear cleaner. I use Leo, but not often.

Some cavaliers, Izzy for instance, just tear. No infection and no blockages. I've never found a commercial product to remove the stains, so just clean with water , now.

I read in a magazine that many owners/showers of white dogs swear by Bio-groom's Stain Free, but it can't be used in a uk show ring . It is expensive, being only the size of a pot of eye shadow , so I never tried it, as postage was as much again.

It may be a yeast infection (Woody had to go the vets this morning for it) a little bit smelly and dark debris, and a little sore, or it could be ear mites which will definately smell bad, with lot of scratching, etc. Trip to vet Estelle, and if there are any other issues with Charlie I would go through everything with the vet.

Yep, it sounds like he needs another trip to see the Vets. I'd make a list of everything you want the Vet to check out first off though as then it'll only be one consultation fee ;)

Can I also say that Diamond eyes might be irritating his eyes and making them worse? I bought some for Maxx & his eyes were really watery whenever I used it. It was obviously irritating him too as he kept rubbing them :(

I've used 'Pretty eyes' in the past with no bother :flwr:

I use "Pretty Eyes" too. Though on Oakley I'm just using warm water whilst his stop is still squished - its easier and I waste less as he won't keep still! :roll:

Yep he's got an ear infection :roll: not yeast, she said bacterial? and no mites thank god:jump:
His anal sacks were full again though :roll: :roll:

Back