• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

So many things to consider...

Jenny37

Hi all, I am researching as much information about Cavaliers that I can find.
We are a family of 3 kids and 3 cats. You would think that our family would be content with what we have, but we are considering adding to our family with a dog...a cavalier that is.
Now its been many years since I owned a dog, in fact I was a just a kid. I remember playing with my dog etc...but none of the other fun issues like potty training etc... In fact the idea of potty training is scary, a dog/puppy that is. I have been reading as many of the posts as I can this site and it sounds overwhelming to say the least.
So I am thinking that going with dog,that is not quite a puppy,might be the ticket for our family.
But I question just how long can a dog hold it. I stay at home, but I do think about those rare occasions when our family has a packed day of activites and are gone for several hours at a time. I understand the older they are, the longer they can hold it. But just how long is that? Am I going to need to depend on a neighbor to let our dog out if lets say we are gone 8 hours?
I just hate the thought of a dog having to hold it all day, that is so unfair. Yet I need to know what we are getting ourselves into, before we commit 100%.
Sorry this post was so long, but I am sure it will not be the last one... thank you for this wonderful site!!!

My dogs do pretty well with holding it. I try to run home on lunch for a midday relief, but even on the days I can't make it they rarely have accidents.

I would definitely be wary of an adult cavalier around your children. I would definitely find out how they are around children. My little female was not brought up around children and absolutely hates them :( If you have your dog from their puppy days, it may be easier to socialize him/her to your kids (in my non-professional opinion...only speaking from experience).

Good luck in your research and with your new addition! :flwr:

Back