• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

1 week early on vaccines??

moniechris

Gosh I love this site, any question that pops in my brain I put on here!!

So I have Wesley scheduled to get nuetered on Nov. 22nd. Cody recieved his vaccination for Parvo on November 8th... The booster shot is supposed to be received three weeks after the last one, which would be Novemeber 29th...Would it be ok if I brought him in 1 week early with Wesley to get it out of the way?? :huh:
I asked my vet and he said it would be fine, but I just want to be sure. I don't want to endanger my pup because I want to make one less trip to the vet. There has been a lot of speculation about vaccines on the site lately so let me know what you guys think. Thanks! :flwr:

And here too - 1st one at 10 weeks - 2nd one at 12 weeks - 10 days after they can go out in the BIG WIDE WORLD! :D

hmm.. I wonder why it is different in America... All the replies so far have been from Europe!! lol Thanks guys, I do feel better though (So will my gas bill) :lol:

No, ours is at least 2 weeks but less than 4 weeks-- I don't like giving shots any time near when they have surgery. But I am a worry wart.

your vet probably knows what is ok.
the only questions i would have about it would be, do the shots lower the puppy's immunity, and if they do (i think they do for a couple of weeks), would it be better to let the immune system bounce back and stabilize before assaulting it again?

The American Animal Hospital Association 2006 vaccination guidelines recommend the puppy vaccinations be spaced 3 or 4 weeks apart, between ages 6-8 weeks and 12-14 weeks. They stress in their recommendations that these are guidelines that vets can work with and do not have to be followed exactly, and that the decision should be tailored to the individual dog.

I know they are trying to have a wide enough spacing so that at least one of the shots will fall outside the window of maternal immunity which can make the shots ineffective. In their report (the AAHA) they say that immunity temporarily inherited from the mother is the most common reason for vaccination failure. The temporary immune cells they have from the mother neutralize the vaccine. So instead of just giving one shot, they give a series, to make sure they hit them when they aren't immune.

Sometimes you hear about a puppy getting sick with distemper or parvo even though it was vaccinated. Maternal immunity is said to be the most common explanation, followed by a bad batch of vaccine, or a weakness in the puppy's immune system (nonresponder).

Back