PDA

View Full Version : HOMED: Cavalier oldie

Karlin
13th November 2006, 08:42 PM
I have a cavalier oldie -- being given up by her family at age 10 :x -- in need of a retirement home. No other details at the moment; hoping to get more information.

cecily
13th November 2006, 09:45 PM
Hope their children stick them in a nursing home when they're old and ailing. :x

If you need help wih a foster... :flwr:

misty
13th November 2006, 09:50 PM
for goodness' sake - I hope they don't replace the oldie with a cute furry puppy :x

Lisa_T
13th November 2006, 09:52 PM
Ditto Cecily's foster offer!

Alison_Leighfield
13th November 2006, 10:02 PM
oh Karlin...if only you were my side of the water....I ADORE the oldies :lotsaluv: ....I'd be banging on your door!

Alison, Wilts, U.K.

Claire L
13th November 2006, 10:21 PM
I'd give up my home and live in a tent if I could have my Rudee back. Why do these people get dogs in the first place :x :x :x :x :x
Shame on them and I know that they wont have an hours luck for abandoning this poor little doggie. How could they??? B_ _ _ _ _ds!!!

Cathy T
13th November 2006, 11:26 PM
Claire - I'll bet that really irks you doesn't it?! How can someone possible give up a 10 year old?! I just don't get it. Yep, I would live in my car if I had to.

Claire L
14th November 2006, 12:11 AM
Aww ! Cathy I just feel so bad.about this - it's so terrible...
I'm just so raw at the moment. I'm still trying to come to terms with the loss of my little Rudeepoohs that I just don't have anything to give right now and that just makes me feel even worse. I wish I was stronger...

PG this little girl will be rescued by someone who will love her to pieces.

Karlin
14th November 2006, 12:26 AM
I am waiting to get more detail from the Irish general rescue who is dealing directly with the owners (it isn't me) and asked for help. Alison I may be in touch! :lol:

pippa
14th November 2006, 01:29 AM
I would foster, but pippin may be too much for her. The offer is there anyway.

How could they.

A friend of mine was appalled recently when someone she knew got a newdog it was 6 yrs old and when my friend asked how come the owners had advertised him for sale,the answer was they were getting a puppy instead :x

Alison_Leighfield
14th November 2006, 06:53 AM
Karlin..OH YES PLEASE......DO,DO,DO...A.S.A.P. :flwr: how wonderful...an oldie girlie....

Claire...I'd come and pitch my tent next to you :flwr: :flwr: :flwr: ..... we both want the same thing :(

Alison, Wilts, U.K.

misty
14th November 2006, 11:24 AM
lol Alison :)

Hope your new house is a big one ;) ;) ;)

Alison_Leighfield
14th November 2006, 12:08 PM
Fran...as we speak contracts are being exchanged on the new house...move on Monday the 20th...Yipeeee....... it's been a long five months to get to this day...

Who needs a big house :lol: ...all you need is a comfy sofa, a soft lap and a large bed for our lttle friends!!....the new house is nice though ;)

Alison, Wilts, U.K.

Maxxs_Mummy
14th November 2006, 12:27 PM
Can I pitch my tent next to yours? Jeez I am in tears here thinking of someone getting rid of their baby at that age :( Every day with these angels is precious, when will these people realise that?

I hope no one lets them have a puppy & that their families don't want them when they are old :(

Alison, if she comes to you I'll have her for her holidays as well - always room for one more on my bed - besides I can always kick hubby out to the spare room :lol:

Nicki
14th November 2006, 05:56 PM
Oh Claire, VB (((((Hugs)))) for you - I can only imagine how bad this makes you feel...

I'd be pitching my tent alongside...for another cuddle with my girlies at the Bridge :(

My Rupert is 10...I can't imagine what goes through people's heads? :shock: :shock:

I guess they just want a cute little puppy...not someone with maybe a few health issues who has been a loyal and trusting companion for so many years, and given so much love and pleasure, that you have a really strong bond with....well I wouldn't swop that for the world...

I hope this wee one finds a special forever home soon...Alison I guess this new house needs elastic walls :lol: Great news about the house...I can't believe it's finally happening!!

Alison_Leighfield
14th November 2006, 07:27 PM
Well I say..."New house, new baby"......... :jump: :jump:

Nicki and Claire,.... better we share a big tent together :lotsaluv:

Alison, Wilts, U.K.

Maxxs_Mummy
14th November 2006, 10:31 PM
Nicki and Claire,.... better we share a big tent together :lotsaluv:

Alison, Wilts, U.K.

Huh! That's nice :S No room for me? I would say no room for a little one but that would be a lie :lol:

That's it, I won't be bringing Princess Whits back now, I'm going to hide her and keep her mwahahahaha

Alison_Leighfield
15th November 2006, 07:03 AM
....OOOooopppssssssss.............Donna, :D

There is always room for you ;) .....(so now do I get her back???) PLEASE!
BOXES, BOXES, everywhere...LOL!
It's getting exciting!

Alison, Wilts, U.K.

Maxxs_Mummy
15th November 2006, 09:04 AM
I'll think about it :p

Will you still have chairs for me to sit down tomorrow? Or will you have packed them too? :lol:

My new fridge freezer is here whooooooooooohoooooooooooooo :w*w: :mexwav: :jmp2: :jmp: :w**h**:

Alison_Leighfield
15th November 2006, 09:12 AM
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Still got chairs....don't worry....!!! might be the pub for lunch???

Enjoy the "new electric baby" ...they came early.....I normally get the 6pm last drop when I've waited in all day!!! icon_whistling

Alison, Wilts, u.K.

matties mum
15th November 2006, 10:15 AM
I wish my Rocky was still around he was 8 years old how can they get rid of a dog of that age ---Aileen

misty
15th November 2006, 12:23 PM
I wish my Rocky was still around he was 8 years old how can they get rid of a dog of that age ---Aileen

I know exactly what you mean, Aileen. I would've given anything to have Declan longer and he was only just 7. :(

The oldies are the best definitely :)

Nicki
15th November 2006, 03:30 PM
ok just unpacking the Marquee...
:D

Space for everyone then...and for the chocolate supplies :lol:

Everytime I read this thread, I look at my Rupert and just think "how could they???"

yes I hope they get dumped into the worst nursing home possible...and left to rot there...

I'm not normally vindictive but some people deserve it... :x :x

Maxxs_Mummy
15th November 2006, 05:19 PM
Nicki,

That's exactly how I feel. As I said, I look at Maxx and treasure the times we've had and the times we've got left.

It makes me so angry when I think how Alison fought for Huns, you for Peaches and others on here, like Claire with little Rudee & then people like this just dump their dogs :swear: :cry*ing:

Karlin
15th November 2006, 07:57 PM
Ok I have full information on this fellow -- a gentleman not a retired lady as previously thought.

Brandy is a 10 year old male who was severely neglected -- heavily matted coat, thin, and left to spend hi life in a kennel. :x Worse, he was left out unprotected year after year on bedding that would get soaked by rain. No shelter -- just a kennel.

Hannah, who has 5 rescue dogs, works for a cleaning service that goes in and cleans out people's homes when they are moving. There was Brandy alone in this kennel on wet bedding and the night before had been down around freezing. :( So she went to the owner and said what was happening with tho dog -- man said he didn't want to take him to new house so was going to put him down.

Hannah said she'd take him as he could not possibly stay out another night, took him in, washed him as he smelled so bad and she also wanted to warm the poor old man up, and according to her he loved every minute of having warm water on him and being dried. She said she then started cutting off his matts and matts the weight of a turf briquette (about 1/4th a pound!!) came off his ears alone!! :yikes She then started cutting off all the other matts and clipping his nails because she says he was walking funny. Turns out one of his rear nails had grown so long it had grown back into the pad and she couldn;t even tell which was the start and the end of the nail. :( So she wrapped him up and put him in front of her Stanley stove and he has been glorying in the heat ever since. :) She took him to the vet who put him on antibiotics and clipped the nail -- well, she says, talk about a total turnaround, he is busy running around like a younger dog now and happy on walks. She called the owner BTW and made him pay the vet bill. 8) She cannot believe anyone would have kept a dog in this state especially in his senior years.

She now has him inside all day with her and she says she has never seen such a transformation in a dog and never ever had such a grateful and affectionate dog in her life. He wouldn;t eat for two days when he arrived and now is putting weight back on and is full of beans. He lies in front of the fire and she has him inside all the time now -- she says he just is the most fantastic old fellow and has the most wonderful face. She even took off his collar, which she said was horrible, and his old dog tags had gone all green -- cleaned the collar and shined up his dog tags so he is very handsome. :lol:

He's a blenheim, she will only home him to 'the most special home' she says; I said I know a few of those!! :) Housetrained but not neutered which at his age probably isn't really worth doing. Not sure on heart status but vet gave a general once over and he sounds a real pet. So much so that Hannah got choked up just talking about him and the state he was in and the happy dog he is now; I couldn't get off the phone for 20 minutes and it took me ages to find out if she was even rehoming him. :lol: As she has five dogs already and an asthmatic child, she says she can't really take on a sixth or I think she'd keep him. She does a small amount of rescue on the side ad is a very kind person.

This was her first encounter with a cavalier and she is a bit smitten. :lotsaluv: So that is Brandy, wondering if anyone will take him in. :)

Maxxs_Mummy
15th November 2006, 09:42 PM
:yikes Oh my Gods that is bloody awful. That evil b*****d needs shooting slowly from the toes up.

I really hope this darling old man gets his wonderful forever home really, really soon. He most certainly deserves it. Big :hug:'s to his saviour ((((((((Hannah)))))))).

Lindsay
15th November 2006, 09:48 PM
Reading this with tears, wishing I lived there so that I could take him. :(

Poor old guy...Hannah sounds like an angel. :flwr:

Karlin
15th November 2006, 11:47 PM
She really did well by this gentleman. He has a place by her fire until he is homed. Alison I am not sure if a fellow suits you as you were thinking of a retired lady?

Alison_Leighfield
16th November 2006, 07:22 AM
Karlin,

I have PM'd you. :xfngr:

Alison, Wilts, U.K

Alison_Leighfield
16th November 2006, 07:31 AM
Oh and I forgot....as for the guy that owned him....he wants his ba**s hanging from a great height...how can anyone treat a dog like that....let alone a Cavalier... :yikes I couldn't stop crying this morning after reading all about his sad little life....have you a picture Karlin??? I think we would all like a look...

Brandy it will all work out OK, you'll see, soon you will have your very own mummy and a new, warm bed for the winter. xxx

Alison, Wilts, U.K.

matties mum
16th November 2006, 08:17 AM
Yes photos please if you can I wish I life in Ireland---Aileen

Nicki
16th November 2006, 10:57 AM
oh bless him...poor old fellow, what a tragic story...

I have to keep thinking "what goes around, comes around"...otherwise I would go mad...

:flwr: :flwr: :flwr: :flwr: for Hannah for turning him around and making him a happy chap again.

Nicki
19th November 2006, 10:22 PM
Any news on this fellow Karlin? He is playing on my mind...

himindoors
24th November 2006, 06:58 PM
Hi All

we got Brandy back this afternoon and, initial encounter aside, he seems to be lovely. First surprise was a visit to the vets where she thought he was aged closer to six than ten. I need to contact Hannah who rescued him to see where she got his age from. Our other surprise was just how "frisky" he is with our girls :yikes . Daisy Boo has already learnt the hard to get technique so many of you ladies seem to be aware of but Twinkle is very curious about the extra appendage. I've uploaded a few pics below

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c292/JoannaEaton/Brandy1-1.jpg

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c292/JoannaEaton/Brandy2.jpg

himindoors
24th November 2006, 06:59 PM
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c292/JoannaEaton/Brandy3.jpg

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c292/JoannaEaton/Brandy4.jpg

Karlin
24th November 2006, 07:00 PM
Oh gosh, what a handsome boy! He doesn't look than 'ancient' to me, either. How is his ticker? Was he a bit calmer around you? Give me a ring tomorrow and we can chat about him -- I have to go to an event his evening.

matties mum
24th November 2006, 07:04 PM
Oh gosh, what a handsome boy! He doesn't look than 'ancient' to me, either. How is his ticker? Was he a bit calmer around you? Give me a ring tomorrow and we can chat about him -- I have to go to an event his evening.
Me too one very loverly boy ---Aileen

himindoors
24th November 2006, 07:08 PM
Joanna here! The vet said Brandy's ticker sounds perfect! That besides his teeth is another reason why she thinks he is younger than we thought. His face is absolutely gorgeous - the markings around his head remind me a bit of Jasper. We just need to get him vaccinated and then we can bring him in to get his teeth done - while he's asleep, if he's doing alright she will neuter him. Otherwise we may have to remove the "B" from his name icon_whistling
I'm roasting a chicken in his honour so the dogs eat well tonight!

Joanna :flwr:

Karlin
24th November 2006, 07:35 PM
That sounds like a plan; I think he was in such bad condition when Hannah got him that he may have looked older than he was. But she also talked to the owner though you really cannot trust an owner like that -- he may have said he was 10 just as a ' good reason' for pts when actually he was just older and unwanted. :x Let me know what Hannah says.

As a point of comparison -- EVERYONE thought Lily was an elderly dog when I got her because 1)the weight made her look like and move like an old dog and 2) she was so disshevelled. Now, thin and trimmed, people think she is a puppy! She leaps and jumps and plays and loves to run now. So I can see how someone might think a badly kept dog is far older than it actually is. Hannah had said he was solid matts and very badly neglected.

BTW I will be saving a special rescue cavalier for Alison -- just the right one will come up, I know. :flwr: And I think she will need a boy. :lol:

himindoors
24th November 2006, 08:07 PM
no problem Karlin - will keep you informed. He just fell asleep on my lap and we got our first sigh out of him so hopefully the signs are good. He's exhausted after the big day. Can't wait to see what he makes of the chicken. Signing off now but I'll give you a shout tomorrow.

Kelvin

Karlin
24th November 2006, 10:30 PM
if he's doing alright she will neuter him. Otherwise we may have to remove the "B" from his name
I'm roasting a chicken in his honour so the dogs eat well tonight!

:rotfl: :rotfl:

Well Randy Brandy will get a big treat either way. :lol:

Lisa_T
24th November 2006, 11:01 PM
He's a lovely boy- I can see why they might have thought he was older- maybe it's just the photo, but the chestnut around his eyes looks like its faded. Does that happen with a dog as young as six?

himindoors
26th November 2006, 06:25 PM
two last pics of our second full day together. 4 of us on the settee and a walk in the park.

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c292/JoannaEaton/pb2600122.jpg

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c292/JoannaEaton/pb2600132.jpg

cecily
26th November 2006, 10:05 PM
OMG :yikes :shock: :yikes
Just after catching up with this thread, however I missed it :?

Such a sad story for poor Brandy, with such a happy ending! He probably thinks all his christmasses have come at once with the love and attention he's been getting, not to mention having 2 gorgeous girls around! :hug: :lotsaluv:

joanna
28th November 2006, 07:58 PM
Dougal is a cool name for your new puppy Cecily :flwr:

Couldn't resist posting this photo of randy Brandy - he looks very puppyish in it.

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c292/JoannaEaton/Brandy.jpg

He's getting his little boy operation tomorrow and not a moment too soon!

Wish him luck!

Karlin
28th November 2006, 08:07 PM
He is cute as a button. Can't wait to meet him!

cecily
28th November 2006, 08:15 PM
Good luck!! :flwr:
Poor Twinkle and Daisy Boo will be delighted with the break I'm sure :lol:

Dougal is a cool name for your new puppy Cecily :flwr:

Alison suggested it!

brid kenny
28th November 2006, 08:36 PM
Just saw this. It's great news. Hope it's all going well!!

Cathy Moon
29th November 2006, 04:06 AM
He's so handsome, what a lovely boy! They all look adorable together! :lotsaluv:

himindoors
1st December 2006, 09:03 AM
thanks for all the messages. Brandy's op went well and he's starting to settle in. I think Twinkle is in love as she wants to be beside him all the time. :l*v: When I left him in the vets for the day the two girls were trotting round looking for him and he's really starting to get on well with them now. He's pretty much attached himself to me and is sleeping at my feet as I type this so we're making good progress. All he needs now is a bit of training and we'll get stuck into that when he's fully recovered

Nicki
1st December 2006, 11:03 AM
oh this is great news..

bless him he doesn't look 10...I think Karlin's right, they do look older when they've had a hard time and are in a mess.

His whole attitude suggests a younger dog.

They can grey around the face earlier if they've had a hard life {such as this poor wee felllow} or a shock {Rupert started to go grey after losing his favourite companion} or if they have a very anxious disposition.

Usually it's at 8-9 years but can be as early as 5 or 6.

Brandy looks gorgeous, I'm so glad he's settling well with you and getting on so well with the girls.

Karlin
1st December 2006, 12:45 PM
Bet he feels bad now that he snapped at you on first meeting! :lol: He sounds like he's doing so well; he must just be in amazement at how much his life has changed in recent weeks. Glad his op went well -- and now we know that Twinkle goes for older men. :)

himindoors
4th December 2006, 08:59 PM
don't mean to keep banging on about Brandy but I've a few more pics to show how he's settling in

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c292/JoannaEaton/IThink.jpg

himindoors
4th December 2006, 08:59 PM
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c292/JoannaEaton/brandytwinklecuddle.jpg

himindoors
4th December 2006, 09:00 PM
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c292/JoannaEaton/groom.jpg

Karlin
4th December 2006, 09:07 PM
Awww, look at him -- he looks so happy! Can;t wait to meet him! :) You've really done a great job of settling him.

PS you can post the pics all in the same post -- just hit return and add the next pic with IMG tags. :)

himindoors
4th December 2006, 09:10 PM
oops double post. Thanks Karlin - just thought it might be a wee bit easier for those on dial up but that's silly now that I think about it. It's been a long day!

Barbara Nixon
5th December 2006, 12:34 PM
He's a lovely boy and could very well be younger, as you suspect. Some dogs are genetically programmed to go grey early. Izzy was greying well before mvd emerged, as was a friends sheltie of similar age. Monty is barely grey at 11 as is the friend's 11 year-old sheltie.

*Pauline*
6th December 2006, 12:24 PM
Are you fostering or keeping Brandy? You can tell by the pics you have gotten attached to him ;)

Cicero's Mummy
6th December 2006, 02:06 PM
Aww he looks so comfy! I can't believe anyone would even think about giving up such a beautiful dog... that ole' gezer makes me so mad! :x

Maxxs_Mummy
6th December 2006, 09:22 PM
Looks like him and Twinkle are in lurrrrrrrrve :lol: He's a gorgeous boy alright, bless him :lotsaluv:

Charlie isn't 3 yet, Joanna but his eyebrows are going grey. Maxx is 7 1/2 and only just getting a bit of grey on his flanks - shouldn't worry about it - just enjoy him :hug:

himindoors
8th December 2006, 08:38 AM
we're definitely keeping him. He's turning into a right slob! Loves his grooming (as you can see) and just lies on the settee giving us adoring looks when we're there together. He's actually jealous when the other two are getting attention and tries to squeeze past them to be first in the queue - not quite learnt his place in the pecking order yet. He is learning though and I can't believe the progress we've made in a couple of weeks. I'm at work or would bombard you with more pics!

Karlin
8th December 2006, 12:21 PM
It is amazing how quickly a rescue dog that has had nothing can come around -- this poor guy probably spent a lifetime in a dog run. :( he must just be so happy every single day to be where he is. Is he less amorous now? :)

You should post further pics into the main photo gallery as more people will get to enjoy them.

joanna
8th December 2006, 12:28 PM
He's very much less amorous thank God. He's more interested in us and food now. He is such a slob - we actually had to wake him to take him out this morning :lol:
I have to admit it's been hard work. I was very worried at the start because he was a bit aggressive and because of the humping. It really is down to Kelvin that we persisted. I'm ashamed to say that in the first couple of days I wanted to give up because I was so worried about the girls.
However, all's well that ends well and I am in love with him now. He has the most beautiful eyes I've ever seen and it's my mission to get his coat looking as good as Ruperts (Nickis blenheim) over the next months.

Ste
8th December 2006, 12:49 PM
I didn't realise he was set to become a permanent resident !

Congratulations :flwr:

Now for that all elusive black & tan :D

molly
8th December 2006, 02:29 PM
Oh, I love a happy ending! So glad he is now with a forever loving family. Wonderful for you all.

Cathy T
8th December 2006, 03:48 PM
I just love the picture of him in your lap being brushed. That is love!!! What a sweet boy. Oh I'm just so glad this is all working out for everyone! Please post pics in the general photo gallery. I think a lot of people will miss these...I almost did but am glad I found them. He's just adorable!!

Cicero's Mummy
8th December 2006, 05:56 PM
Congrats!

pippa
8th December 2006, 11:19 PM
I've been offline for a couple of weeks, so glad to catch up and hear such good news!