PDA

View Full Version : Getting a new puppy and have a few questions

Remi
13th November 2006, 10:19 PM
Hi everyone,

I'm new to the site and I've already learned so much from everyone, this site is great! We're impatiently awaiting our new pup, Remi, she won't be ready to come home until Dec 7th. My avatar is a pic from the breeder, she's 3 weeks old there (I hope I attached it correctly and you can see it). We just saw her last weekend and she's adorable!
We are shopping, shopping, shopping for everything she will need and I have a few questions about food bowls & toys. Does anyone use the special long-eared food bowls, and if so, where did you find them? I've seen a few online, but they only come in 32oz sizes which I thought was kind of big for my little cav (she's so tiny she could probably sit inside the bowl). :lol:
For toys, what kind of toys are safe for her to play with while we are at work? We bought a Kong, is there anything else we should get? Any good plush toys for her to cuddle with?

Thanks everyone! :thnku:
Dana

Denise G.
13th November 2006, 11:23 PM
Hi Dana-

Congratulations on your new puppy--Remi is a doll!! I know preparing for a new little one is fun and overwhelming! I know alot of people buy the snuggle puppies that have a battery operated hearbeat and I think you can warm them up, too. As you can tell, I didn't get one because I got Mia at 7 months--so she was a little past the need for one of these.

Here's a link with some details: http://www.tiabellas.com/boutique/snuggle-puppies-p-291.html

Good luck and have fun with little Remi!!

Cathy T
13th November 2006, 11:23 PM
What a little teeny tiny cutie! I know what you mean...the bowl would probably be bigger than she is. Her ears will be short enough when she's a puppy that you shouldn't have any problem. I used cat bowls for mine at first since they were smaller.

You probably shouldn't leave her with any plush toys. She could chew them up and ingest the stuffing. Learned that one the hard way...came home to Jake in his x-pen with white stuffing everywhere. Thankfully he hadn't appeared to have eaten any of it...just made a mess. Kongs are great as are any other sturdy toys. The plush toys are fine as long as your are home to supervise.

I'm sure you'll get lots more suggestions.

arasara
14th November 2006, 02:17 AM
HI :)

My vet has suggested nylabones to leave with kosmo while i'm out. I also can leave big rubber things *like kongs* and he has no problems with them. I think booda bones are quite safe also. Kosmo chews EVERYTHING so that's about all he gets while I am gone.

WELCOME to the board.. isnt a puppy so much fun and exciting?!

Cupcake Love
14th November 2006, 04:16 PM
I'll second the nylabone suggestion. Cupcake is a sweetie with her plush toys (unless they have tufts of hair or something, that gets pulled off immediately) but Nacho could chew up a crowbar! It seems that even if they are able to break off parts of the nylabone it is a very small amount.

Remi
14th November 2006, 08:41 PM
Thanks everyone for responding, I love this site! I'm definitely going to get some Nylabones, I remember reading about those. I'll look into the snuggle puppy too, I hadn't heard of that yet, thank you for the link! Cat bowls are a great tip too, those will be a good size.

I'm having so much fun getting ready for Remi, I've never had a dog before so I'm sure I'll have more questions. Thanks! :flwr:

cavaliking_jules
15th November 2006, 02:40 PM
Hi Dana!

I'm just writting you to tell you not to worry! I had my cavalier 6 months ago and it was my first dog. Cavaliers are honnestly perfect dogs! My friend have all different dogs: cocker, shiba inu, rottweiller, and they were just amazed to see how cavaliers are easy dogs! I didn't have any problem with mine.

Good luck with this cuty puppy!!

Laurent