PDA

View Full Version : How much should he drink?



murphy's mum
14th November 2006, 06:51 PM
Can anyone tell me how much my Cavi should drink. He seems to be drinking alot lately compared to what he used to. He will empty his dish which holds about a pint, and sometimes drinks from the cats dish too. Is this normal?
Also, he's got green poo at the moment too :yuk: And his farts where absolutly STINKING last night :grnyuk: Poor wee man, cuddles were not so nice last night.

moniechris
14th November 2006, 07:19 PM
:grnyuk: It sounds like he ate something not so good for him...Do you know if he got a hold of anything?
Does he usually have gas or did this just start? (Cody can clear a room, it makes your eyes burn)... :yuk:

murphy's mum
14th November 2006, 07:52 PM
Haven't see him eat anything he shouldn't have, he's always trying to grab mice though, live or, dead leavings of the cats. .
That doesn't mean he hasn't got something thiough. The gas only started last night, he can be stinky but last night was horrible.

Cathy Moon
15th November 2006, 01:30 AM
I would take him and a stool sample to the vet immediately!

He might have eaten a poisoned dead mouse! Poisoned mice become thirsty and look for water, that's why they are found near drains, etc.

This could be why he is thirsty.

If I'm not mistaken, dark green poo can indicate there is blood in the stool.

You didn't say over what period of time he drank all the water. How is he behaving? Is his activity level normal?

murphy's mum
15th November 2006, 08:27 AM
He's normal apart from that, his usual bouncy self. Will call the vet didn't think about poisioned mice with 2 proud hunters n the loose. His stool definatly looked more normal this morning, it had a little mucus(i can't spell!) with it. But it's like that every now and then, my vet said it was ok as long as it wasn't all the time. Thanks for the advice :thnku:

Karlin
15th November 2006, 01:22 PM
Drinking a pint of water at one go is definitely something to call the vet about -- that is not normal. I don;t think all three of mine have ever come close to emptying a water dish even after a long day in the park.

In general, anytime you see something that is well out of the norm like this, be sure to call your vet to find out their opinion on what to do, and do that FIRST -- before posting to a board, where someone may not reply for hours or even days. Please remember we are not able to give the professional information that an owner needs any time there's a question about a medical concern, so no one should ever rely on advice from this section for medical advice. That's just good, safe sense. :)

Remember a phone call is easy and a good vet will immediately advise on whether a dog should be brought in or not. :) Hopefully he is fine.

murphy's mum
15th November 2006, 06:30 PM
He's fine :) The vet checked him out, couldn't find anything. His stool was fine, back to normal too.
I should clarify that he wasn't drinking all his water in one go, it was over the day. He never drinks through the night though, he sleeps with us, we've never noticed him moving off the bed.

Nisha
17th November 2006, 08:24 AM
oh thats great news!! good to kno!

is drinking lots of water bad???? because in the last few days my two have non-stop come inside and drink and drink water from there bowl and together they finish it and i hve to re-fill it to let them have more....i never thought it was a problem!!! i hope it isnt..but it only lasted over 2 days ...fine since yesterday..so i guess thats good