• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Second Cavalier, Question!

Hi everyone. I have a question for all of you. I had my first Cavalier 5 months ago (he is now 8 months old). It is a male. Since these dogs are adorable, we went for a second one. It is also a male and now has 3 weeks, we will bring it home around the end of January. I was wondering if two males together are fine? My trainer told me to always get the opposite sex to avoid territorial conflict. But my breeder has prettier male beacause they are a little bit bigger than her females.

Are there people here that have two males? Have you ever experienced some problems?

Also, my first cav has been trained to obey to all the common orders. I think it is important to mention it since having a second dog when the first one is not trained can introduce some problems when the two of them will be together listening to each other and not listening to me.

I hope you guys will give me some advice!

Laurent

Hi - we have two males and have not had any problems.

We did, however, wait longer to get our second. We wanted our older to be more reliable with all commands and house training before introducing a second dog. But, seeing that you already have your second baby on the way...there are several on here that have had puppies together.

As I think is pretty standard in the US we had both of our neutered at 6months which may or may not have helped any territorial issues.

My two males are the best of friends. They are absolutely inseperable, but are still incredibly bonded to me. I have two giant snuggle bugs who try to be in my lap at the same time who can't decide who they should kiss first, me or each other. When I get another cavie pup down the line, it will definitely be another male (unless a beautiful little B&T rescue falls in my lap, then I could care less what the gender is!!)

I also have two males, although a much larger gap in age.

Dudley will be 3 years old in Jan 2007
Darby will be 8 months Nov 29

I waited over two years for Darby when I picked Dudley up from by breeder she had a gorgeous female Ruby about 7 months old. At that time I told her when you breed her and if she has a Ruby I want to be put on the waiting list. That is how Darby came to us, although it was a very emotional roller coaster as he was the only Ruby born in the litter and she was not sure whether she was keeping him.

Anyway I have not had any problems with the two males, although Dudley's nose was out of joint when Darby arrived on the scene. I had originally thought I had made a mistake, but it just took time for them to bond. With yours being younger I would think that they will play more the training may be a bit harder since you are getting him right in the middle of our harsh Canadian Winters.

Here is a picture of my two and they love each other to bits, Darby is willing to play anytime. Dudley on the other hand will only play when it suits him. But Dudley is definetely definetely a very good role modle for my little red head. ;) ;) ;) ;)

Brothers2.jpg

I've always heard that if there's a "same sex" problem, it's usually with two females. But I'm sure there are many exceptions to that. I think it has a lot to do with the breed--and Cavaliers are such good natured dogs.

Linda--Dudley and Darby are SO cute cuddling together...

I have four males with gaps of 19 months, 5 years and 6 months. There was no trouble between the older two, but number three was not popular after 5 years with number two. However, I think this is a clash of personalities. Trouble came with number four, who has tried to take over. Again, this could just be Teddy, who has a srong personality.

Be ready for your first dog to go backwards with trainng, as this often happens with two puppies similar in age. Joly at 8 months went back to soiling indoors when Teddy arrived. He also refused to retrieve (his favourite passtime) for several months, but then picked it up again.

I had similar concerns, before I went ahead and got my 2nd male. However, I now have 3 males and they all get along. In fact, Pippin & Luke are really bonding together.
284172427_cda4334c3c_m.jpg

My first cavalier was 1 year old, when the 2nd cavalier puppy came to live with me. The first one was trained, so I only needed to focus on #2's training. One thing I can suggest, is when you are training #2, have #1 either in his crate or somewhere else, so that the new puppy can focus on you and your training.

Right now I have my 3rd male, Jolly, who turned 5 months old today. Luke is 4 years old, Pippin is 3 and Merry 2 years old. I train Jolly, after I let the 3 adult dogs outside in the morning and evening after their meal. The training only lasts 5 minutes each time. Jolly is doing great. He knows, in your cage, stay, come, sit, paw, other paw AND this week he is learning lay down. He is a fast learner when treats are involved.

You are going to have so much fun!

Linda - what an incredibly sweet picture of Darby and Dudley. I'm so jealous...I do wish my two cuddled more with each other. Well...as long as they still like to cuddle with me I guess I'm okay.

One thing I will mention is that in fostering I've had males and females from age 10 months to 4 years. And I've never had a serious problem with either of mine having a problem with anyone else. The usual food issues...but not sex specific. To solve it, everyone gets fed in their crates.

Oh, I agree with Barbara with housebreaking. Pippin back slid when Merry came along. Merry backslid when Luke came along. Lukily no problems when #4 arrived. I think it isn't so much that they forget their training as they are trying to tell you of their displeasure at this change in their living conditions. I just started their housebreak training over again and make sure to give the older ones plenty of attention and things turned around quickly.

Here is a picture of my two and they love each other to bits, Darby is willing to play anytime. Dudley on the other hand will only play when it suits him. But Dudley is definetely definetely a very good role modle for my little red head. ;) ;) ;) ;)

Oh Linda that is such a beautiful picture of Dudley and Darby together!! That is a real treasure!

Brothers2.jpg
[/quote] :) :)
Julie and the girls

I have two boys too (21 months and 14 weeks) and they get along fine - first few days Merlin's nose was out of joint but now they are best of friends :D

oh im sure two males will get along fabulously!!! my two certainly do..they love each other to bits!

Back