• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

How do you transport your Cav?

My Wesley

So far I just have that crate for home. I don't plan on using it in the car, although it does come with handles. So what do you use to take your Cav to the vet and other trips in the car?

Plastic crate?
Doggy Booster Seat?
Seatbelt hook thing around their harness?

I just don't know if I really need a travel crate for Wesley or not... I got him a special tether thing that would hook around his harness to the seatbelt of the car so all he has to do is sit on the seat. Do you let your Cav sit on the front seat? Is that not safe? Both of my cars turn the airbags off if there's no one or someone under like 110lbs in the front seat.

And if you do have one of those plastic crates... what size do you have? I got one, but my husband thinks it's too small. It's the Petmate Kennel Cab in the Intermediate size. The recommended breeds on it say, Lhasa Apsos, Pugs, Cairn Terriers & Westies. It would work fine for him as a pup, but it does look like he'd grow out of it. I'm not sure. The website says it's (24.1 x 16.73 x 14.5). Here's a link to it. http://www.petmate.com/Catalog.plx?ID=1527&SizeID=3

What do you think? Should I keep it? I just don't want it to become to small for him and only last me a year.

Thanks!

Not sure about the size of the crate. Although for moving about via car and walking you could get a Sherpa bag. Which you can also travel on airlines with. Ginger finds it very comfortable and its like her crate away from home. Especially when we are at the vet and he's done doing her business- she jumps RIGHT into it! You can find them at petmate probably or petco I know for sure has them. Good Luck.

Not sure about the size of the crate. Although for moving about via car and walking you could get a Sherpa bag. Which you can also travel on airlines with. Ginger finds it very comfortable and its like her crate away from home. Especially when we are at the vet and he's done doing her business- she jumps RIGHT into it! You can find them at petmate probably or petco I know for sure has them. Good Luck.

I would definitely recommend the Sherpa bag. We bought the Medium size and we put him in it if we go for a ride in the car (he usually stays in the back, though sometimes up front). You can attach a seatbelt to it. We left it out when we first got it and it is just one of Bishop's beds. He loves to go sleep in it and if we say the word "car" he runs straight into it, which makes it nice for longer trips. (It is also the perfect size for flying).

When they were babies, I used a carrier that could be strapped in with a seat belt. Now that they are old enough I use a doggie seat belt in combination with their harnesses. :)

I think the safest transport is a varikennel (plastic crate) and make sure they are not near an active airbag.

I think my plastic crate is about that size for brady. i'm not 100% sure though. his head almost hits the top, and he's about as long as it. i don't think he's going to get much larger in that way, just plumper. my friend has the same size for her adult cav and he fits in it still. i used to use it for car travel, long trips i do, but for short trips i use a seat belt harness for him. and he does go in the front and my air bags turn off when he's there with the belt buckeled. he's very good in the car. he'll just lay down and sleep.

We use the plastic crates. The big advantage is that if your dog gets sick in the crate, it's very easy to clean and disinfect. As to size, I never really paid attention to how they are sized; we just get the size we always get icon_nwunsure . Basically your dog just needs enough room to stand up or lay down without being all scrunched up. We have a couple bigger crates with wheels that we can put two dogs in.

I have a fancy little trick on my car that because it is a coupe and the backseat is difficult to get anyone in the backseat, it weighs whatever is sitting in the passenger seat. If he/she/it weighs less than 80ish lbs, it automatically shuts off the passenger airbags. Amazing how smart cars are...pretty soon a drivers liscense will be obsolete as the cars will just drive for us :lol:

I use plastic crates (cat carriers) secured with seatbelts. Keeps the dogs safe and cuts down on the car cleaning :lol:

Plastic crates: 2 dogs to a crate. Crates are bungie corded to the floor in the back of our SUV. They go right to sleep and don't seem to mind being together for the rides.

Usually we use proper dog car harnesses. We pop them over the puppia harnesses. The car harnesses have a strap that fits over the car seat belt and fastens.

On a longer journey we use our smaller crate in the rear of the car. It measures 18" x 24" base x 20" high. That accomodates the 2 cavs plus toys, chews and we can put water bottle on the side of it.

In the house we use our larger crate. That is 21" x 30" base x 24" high. They share that for sleeping or short periods during the day if we are out.

They are now 5 months and 9 months. I imagine that the present arrangements will still be ok when both are fully grown.

If we only had one dog I would expect the smaller crate would be enough in car or house.

My Wesley said:
And if you do have one of those plastic crates... what size do you have? I got one, but my husband thinks it's too small. It's the Petmate Kennel Cab in the Intermediate size. The recommended breeds on it say, Lhasa Apsos, Pugs, Cairn Terriers & Westies. It would work fine for him as a pup, but it does look like he'd grow out of it. I'm not sure. The website says it's (24.1 x 16.73 x 14.5).

Thanks!

That's the crate we have for Posey. She's eight months old and about 9 pounds, but the vet isn't thinking she'll get much over 10lb.

She is just getting tall enough that she ducks her head ever so slightly to clear the door, but she can stand up all the way inside. She can lay stretched out (such as when she's working on a chew toy that she's holding down with her front paws) with no problem, and she tends to curl up in a ball in the back to sleep (she can curl up so small that we sometimes don't see that she's back there unless we bend over peek in the crate). So it's a good fit for her, and I would say it would fit her even if she grew to 15lbs.

We use that crate, in the back seat hooked in with the seatbelt, for longer car rides. For short ones in the neighborhood, she's belted in with her harness, usually on the front seat.

Back