• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Some advice please.

G

Gillian

This isnt a major problem but would be nice if it could be solved.
Abby is 6 1/2 months old and is still waiting for me to tell her when she can wee. She does on potty, which is like litter box but flat,. It is in my balcony. Lately we have had lovely weather and balcony is open all the time. I still find her sitting almost in front of potty and she doesnt go until I tell her. Abby do wee wee!. I treat her every time and tell her good girl. But why doesnt she go on her own when she needs too. I dont understand. Any advice would be appreciated.
I am glad of course that she doesnt do on the floor but once I forgot to tell her and she did on the couch.

Does she ever go when you aren't there to say to go?

Perhaps she simply doesnt need to go that often, but she has learned the command is obeying when you tell her to.

If she's only had one accident (which isnt unusual at her age), I would say she's doing fine. Maybe try to stop telling and treating and see what happens.

Barbara Nixon said:
Why go , if waiting gets a reward, will be her way of seeing things.

exactly. she could learn to go without a treat, just tell her to go but don't make a big deal out of it when she does. maybe if she pees on her own without being told, you could give her a treat for being independent, but it seems like she needs to stop associating peeing with pleasing you, she is ready to just learn that that's what dogs do. Does she still spend time with Kayla? Other dogs are often role models.

Does she go #2 without being told, i'm assuming she does.

Thanks for advice. No she has never gone without telling her except for on walks outside.
Kayla wont do on paper she goes outside on walks.
I know it would be simple to have Abby go on walks but then I would have to walk her three times a day, in rain, wind etc. So it is good that she does on potty.
She does spend time with Kayla and I take them both for a walk every day. Except weekends. Then I just take Abby.
I will try the no treats , although she will be surprised. So will Kayla as she gets one to . ha ! ha!
Right now I know she needs to do and for some reason she didnt when I told her so I think I will wait , just keeping the sitting room door closed so she cant wee on sofa, and see what happens

Oh bless her :lotsaluv: At least she's not peeing in the house as well as going out!

I think I'd try not treating her but giving her lots of praise instead. She'll soon get used to not having a treat, don't worry LOL

if i may be so, um, clinical, what happens with #2? does she consistently do it on her walk?

Back