• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Tricks~

Nisha

Hey everyone,
i was just interested/curious to know what different tricks your cavs know...my knowledge of all kinds of different tricks is pretty limited so just curious on what neat things i could teach my two..

so if you wouldnt mind could you just post the different tricks your cavvy's know..

Thankyou, :flwr:
Nisha

Rosie mu ruby is very clever!! she knows Sit,down,stay,come,wave,paw right,paw left, high five. But only if she gets a treat :lol:

Jaspar taught himself 'find it' -- if I throw his fetch toy and he doesn't see where it landed in a field and I give him the 'find it' cue he starts scenting like a little spaniel and will hunt for it til he finds it -- he loves this.

He learned roll over when really young and recently learned 'twirl' at the cavalier training day in Dublin. :lol: And he does agility which is basically a lot of tricks linked together. :lol: He's the one who really likes doing this sort of thing though I think Lily will be good too. Jaspar articularly likes the jumps.

I'd like to do more with them all; generally all dogs really like this type of challenge and have fun learning. :)

Monty - sit, down, stay, come, side, fetch it, fetch something, give, paw, other paw

Izzy- sit, down , stay, come, side, sendaway, stand, fetch, find, A recall, fetch something, give, scent discrimination (cloth from a line of them) paw, other paw

Joly- same as Izzy, but scent not as reliable (we gave up the class so he's done less) and sit up

Teddy- sit, down , stay, come, side, paw, otherpaw, roll over-he's not interested but does these ones for food

oh wow!!

Clever Cavaliers!! :p

Kosmo knows sit, lay down, stay, leave it, take it, watch me, heel, take a bow, play dead, working on roll over, give a paw, other paw, high 5, speak, wave, fetch, go to your bed, and I think that's it.

keep in mind that we do regularly attend puppy classes though. We will also be going into click a trick in a few months where he's going to learn to twirl, bow, crawl, back up, hide, and fun tricks like that!! Kosmo LOVES tricks so we have a lot of fun with them. :flwr:

What a clever cavs :D

Andrea knows - sit, stay, lie down, give me the paw, high five, roll-ower, recall, play dead, take a bow, crawl, dance, walk two paws, heel, beg,

and I think thats it.. but we are also doing agility wich Andrea just LOVES :l*v:

Diva can - sit, stay, lie down, recall, give me the paw, heel, dance, high five, roll over

and she´s also doing the agility and is just becoming pretty good :D

brid! that video was so fun. phoebe--what a cutie, very good job Phoebe!!

I've only just started to teach tricks--roll over is our first one, we've been working on it for a few days. It just delights me when he does it, and he seems to see it as a play thing rather than a work thing, he gets his happiest laughing smile when he's rolling over and them jumping back up on his feet. but he doesn't always seem to get it at this point.

i think of tricks as things like roll over, play dead, shake hands, speak, whereas stuff like sit, stay, come, heel, lay down, i think of as just obedience. i never thought of those as tricks before. I guess there really isn't a distinction.

When zack was little i taught him to fetch and i hadn't thought of it as a trick but rather as a game, but i see how it could be called a trick, and tricks are games too.

with roll over, i'm using treats. but with fetch, i never used a treat--the game itself seems to be the reward in itself with zack.

I guess you could call it a trick that i taught zack to stand up on his hind legs and put the ball in my hand when we play fetch, so i don't have to bend over.

finding the ball when it's lost has always been part of the game of fetch, zack always did this--aren't they impressive when they are so determined to succeed in their search? it wasn't something i taught zack so i thought it was instinctive. zack will rarely give up in finding an elusive ball that i've thrown that has gone into hiding. sometimes, i will go on with some other activity like watching TV and 10 minutes later, he'll show up with the ball long after i forgot about it. When he can't find a ball, if i try to give him a different one, he doesn't accept it, it puts it down and goes on diligently searching for Ball #1.

i thought all dogs loved to fetch and search, but belle doesn't know the game of fetch at all. Her favorite game is to chase Zack while he is fetching. She is so fast, she overtakes him and then she runs him off, cutting in front of his chest and making him turn away from his destination (which was the ball thrower). :lol: i think zack is more object oriented than belle, and she is more social, more relationship oriented. typical gender stereotypes when it comes to those two.

zbchase1.jpg

Mine know: sit, down, stay, come (recall), leave it, front, side, LLW, heel, and a bunch of others. I guess these are not really tricks but basic obedience behaviors. 3 of them will target on command, fetch, give, take and 2 of them sit up and beg, roll over, give paw, high five, twirl and spin. Like alot of the others here they LOVE to play fetch, hide and chase games.

My DH asks my tri Would you rather be married or dead. And the little bugger rolls over on his side and plays dead. He also asks him What do you have to do to get lucky and the dog sits up and begs. Gets a laff every time. With one of mine who does a bow, we are working on having him do the bow backards (rear end facing us) to the cue word "Moon". Silly stuff. :badgrin: :badgrin:

molly said:
...My DH asks my tri Would you rather be married or dead. And the little bugger rolls over on his side and plays dead. He also asks him What do you have to do to get lucky and the dog sits up and begs. Gets a laff every time. With one of mine who does a bow, we are working on having him do the bow backards (rear end facing us) to the cue word "Moon". Silly stuff. :badgrin: :badgrin:

:lol:

I love to teach max new stuff... and he seems to catch on fairly quickly. he knows--- sit, lay down, speak, roll over, play dead (which he does if i say "play dead" or pretend i'm shooting him with my finger and say "bang"), paw, other paw, high five, stand up, and stay which is so cute when i put the treat right in front of him and he sits like a statue waiting for the "ok". we're working on crawl, but he's doesn't quite get it yet.

Obedience + I make my arms or legs into a hoop and have Misha jump through them, crawl, rollover, play dead, speak, shake, find it, give kisses and we're working on back up.

WOW :yikes :yikes !!!!!!!!!!!!!! i had no idea so many tricks existed that could be taught to a dog..(may sound stupid i kno) but my two only sort of know the basic obedience like sit, stay, shake left, fetch, shake right, down, jump through hoop on command and come.

i i have NO idea in the world how to teach them all the ones mentioned!!.. did all you guys teach them it yourselves or did you go to classes or something!

"crawl, rollover, play dead, speak, shake, find it, give kisses, speak, crawl, rollover, high 5, stand up, hide and chase, bow, dance, walk on 2 paws, beg, wave, fetch something, scentdiscrmination, twirl, find it" all that seems like a different world to me i cant believe you all have taught all your gorgeous doggies all those tricks...i have to find some website or something to teach how to train to do all those things...talk about entertainment! ;)

btw what is LLW and sendaway????

oh and Brid that clip of pheobe is so cute!! she is such a clever doggie!

anyway thanks for that, i have a LOT to do if i want to achieve all that, and for both of them :roll: i have a looooong way 2 go! ;) :p

I took Izzy and Joly to classes longterm, because I wanted to compete, but Monty only went for a short while and teddy not at all.

I have a library book , at the moment, by Mary Ray, who is famous for her heelwork to music on Crufts' last day, as well as for her success in the obedience ring. The book, shows, step-by-step, with lots of photos, how to teach tricks, as well as standard obedience things. The title is 'Dog Tricks'.

Nisha, I've also seen books that have instructions on teaching dog tricks. Even some websites that I've found through this forum have some dog tricks. I think it was under training.

In Puppy Kindergarten we learned a few tricks! In advanced classes they seem to teach more tricks. And some places offer a class of just dog tricks!! :) Wouldn't that be fun!?

One doggie magazine I get, Modern Dog or The New York Dog (I can't remember which one), publishes a dog trick each month.

:flwr:

I took each of mine to classes for socialization and basic obedience. The rest is stuff we also taught to other dogs we had over the years just for fun! Now that we are retired, we have lots of time for fun :lol: . LLW is loose leash walking...just means teaching the dog not to pull on a leash but rather to walk by your side watching you.

If you google dog tricks, you will get lots of stuff. Many dog trainers have a "tricks" class in addition to basic skills.

This is a very basic set of quick videos that might give you some ideas. http://www.clickertrainusa.com/clicker-training-videos.htm

Books..ok ill have to find a few that are just on dog tricks..thanks for that
In Puppy Kindergarten we learned a few tricks! In advanced classes they seem to teach more tricks. And some places offer a class of just dog tricks!! Wouldn't that be fun!?
definitely!!!!! i dont think ive heard of anything like that here but im sure theres something..ill have to some searching...

ohh loose leash walking...i get it...yeah ive been teaching Monty that he's a really good learner!so proud of him...Milo gets way too excited and he works well when i work with him at home but on actual walks he goes crazy! :roll: ;)

Thanks Molly for the clip! most of the ones there they already know..but some they dont so thanks!

Back