PDA

View Full Version : early puppy illness

SILVERDOLLY 2004
20th November 2006, 10:18 AM
Has anyone else taken a puppy who had had pneumania but got better? I am wondering if we may have health problems in the future because of this early illness. he is the tiniest in the litter. Otherwise he is in great shape and a real sweetie. The breeder is extremely caring and honest. Any thoughts?

Maxxs_Mummy
20th November 2006, 11:06 AM
Hi Silverdolly,

Is the pneumonia viral or bacterial? I personally would never take a pup that had had pneumonia as I do believe that it will weaken them and their resistance against other things as well.

Are there no other pups in that or any other litter that you could have? I think I would keep looking until I found a healthy one. It's not just the cost of the puppy you have to think about. It's the ongoing medical care and treatments for the rest of its life. Also, if it's noted anywhere on the pup's records that it has had pneumonia then no insurance company will insure you for that and quite possibly any other respiratory disorder either.

It's not just the monetary cost either, it drain s you physically and emotionally when you take on a less than healthy animal - I know from experience as my rescue, Charlie has never been well since I had him :(

SILVERDOLLY 2004
20th November 2006, 05:23 PM
Thanks , Donna, - I don't know if he had a viral or bacterial case but he is still taking anti-biotics so I suppose that suggests a bacterial infection. he got the pneumonia as a follow on from kennel cough. There are no other pups I could have from that litter - all taken and all well after their kennel coughs cleared up. I hadn't thought we might have difficulties insuring him. I'd better look into that quickly. Thanks again.