• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

worming advice needed please

Katie

The breeder who gave us our puppy 3 weeks ago had wormed her once she was weaned, and because she already has ear mites she has just been given spot-on advocate which I also understand acts on roundworms. To my horror she passed a largeish roundworm the other day and I am concerned about the probability of the family (kids in particular) being infected. I gather this is possible. Do any of you ever 'worm' yourselves? What should one do apart from wash hands regularly?

I hate to admit to being quite squeamish and anxious about this - I remember feeling exactly the same revulsion when the kids had lice and threadworms initally - it's just all new to me. I would be very interested to know how one comes to terms with this particular 'attractive' :yuk: feature of dog-owning. ....!

Generally all puppies have worms when very young and it often takes a second worming to get rid of the worm load. They aquire them in utero from the mother so very rare for them not to have them at all. Talk to your vet who will likely recommend worming again. However they often will still pass old worms.

Puppies up to a year are most susceptible to worms. Your vet should be able to advise best on what steps to take. :)

Karlin - thanks. Do you ever suggest 'worming' the humans in the family if they have close proximity to potentially wormy puppies?!

I've only known people to do that by accident. A lady on one of the rescue forums was in a bit of a tiz and swallowed the dog's wormer, but luckily realised before she gave the dog her medication.

Katie,

Roundworms can be passed on from dog to humans and to treat them (even prophylactically(sp) you will need Pripsen from the chemist, this is Piperazine and effective against roundworm. Ovex or any Mebendazole based treatment is only effective against threadworms, which are of course more common in kids!

I really wouldn't panic though as long as the kids wash their hands regularly and especially before eating. You can be too clean you know. I remember my old GP always telling me off for being too clean when my kids were small :lol:

I always worm my human family at the star of summer every year. I do this at the same time as I worm the animals. I worm my animals every 3 months when the season changes. I get the human stuff from the chemist. My kids like the chocolate the best.

Back