• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Walking sideways? A Cav trait?

msunter

Hi All, :)

I was wondering if all you knowledgeable owners could tell me if it is normal for a 14 week old pup to walk to the side???? :yikes

This occurs in his back legs mostly but not when he runs. :?

My Mum and Grandparents seemed to notice this with our Cav pup Rio, I have seen it too as I spend all day with him and then work at night. Is this a normal Cav trait or could it be something serious. A man who lives up the road from my Grandparents also has a Cav similar to Rio but older, and my Grandad noticed that it also walks to the side......

Could we simply be worrying over nothing ?? He is due a checkup at the Vets next week for his little claws to be clipped, weighed and a general check up, should we mention this to the Vets, by far they have been great with him and we really hope there is nothing wrong with him. :(

Thank you for the help

Melissa :flwr:

I'd say mention it to your vet and have them assess his knees. I thought Shelby just had a funny puppy walk and then found out she had luxating patellas. She had surgery and is fine now. But she does have a goofy looking walk...almost like what you described. The back of her body is kind of sideways. We know now that it is nothing.

msunter said:
Hi All, :)

I was wondering if all you knowledgeable owners could tell me if it is normal for a 14 week old pup to walk to the side???? :yikes

This occurs in his back legs mostly but not when he runs. :?

My Mum and Grandparents seemed to notice this with our Cav pup Rio, I have seen it too as I spend all day with him and then work at night. Is this a normal Cav trait or could it be something serious. A man who lives up the road from my Grandparents also has a Cav similar to Rio but older, and my Grandad noticed that it also walks to the side......

Could we simply be worrying over nothing ?? He is due a checkup at the Vets next week for his little claws to be clipped, weighed and a general check up, should we mention this to the Vets, by far they have been great with him and we really hope there is nothing wrong with him. :(

Thank you for the help

Melissa :flwr:

My old cavalier used to do this when he was younger! I have no idea why!!!

Holly does it, but it's only really noticeable when she's walking on lead and it's very slight. Like you say, makes no difference to running or jumping or bouncing- just during that fast trot they do. Amber, despite being clumsy, doesn't seem to- she walks in a straight line and very prettily.

We noticed that Ozzy has a funny leg - and ended up taken him to the vets yesterday morning, he didn't like being pulled about, there is a tiny bit of movement in his left knee, so he is on pain killers for a week and we are trying to keep him quiet, then back in a weeks time to see how he is going if still a problem vet has said he would like to do xrays, to see his hips and knees - we are hoping that it clears up.

Ginger does that too!

She definatly walks to the side a bit. Not running or jumping (leaping I should say!). And oddly enough I was just outside for a break and I saw another cavvie being walked and it was walking sideways!!!
If your off to the vet anyway, might as well mention it.

Hi all

Nice to hear all the replies on this topic.

We took Rio to the vets yesterday morning he was weighed, he came in at 4.8 kg is that normal for a 15 week old pup, or have your pups been almost the same weight?

Anyway we asked about the walking sideways and she tested him and he seemed in no pain at all. She said it was something that just occurs could be a small trait. No-one knows why, it can just happen and could correct itself within the next few months as he grows.

Oh ! has anyone tried Science Plan Chicken with their Cav ? We got a free bag sample yesterday and he loved it! :)

Really expensive though...Just now he is on the Bakers Chicken Balls which he loves as he came off the wet food, Bakers puppy food ages ago he is absolutely spoilt by my Grandparents they cooked him salmon and boiled chicken 2 nights in a row !! :yikes

Oh yeah he still isn't piddling outside or doing his business, when he does go on the mat at the front door which he was doing at 8 weeks old :D we say "Go Pee Pee or Go Poo Poo" and then have always praised him. But since he has been getting out for a few weeks now, I have been walking round the park and the tree with him on the corner of our street saying "Go PeePee" I sound like a mad woman !! Still isnt working and he will try and race back to the house or whine when outside to get back to the house to go on the mat !!

I took him out into the garden for a run around on the extendable lead and he loved it I also took a soiled/wet mat with me outside with his scent on it and rubbed it in the grass he sniffed it a few times but then nothing!

Are we doing it all wrong?? :oops:

Should we take a soiled/wet mat with us when going out? We have also tried Johnsons Puppy trainer spray by putting that on the mats then spraying it on grass so he might go to no avail. My Dad's friend said it took his pup "not a Cav" almost 14 months to go to the toilet outside !!! :yikes :roll:

Can anyone recommend other ideas?

Luv this place

:flwr:

Melissa

Our vet gave us Science Chicken when we took Murphy in for his fisrt visit, he had been on Bakers Puppy. He loved the first bag, scoffed it right down. But after that he wasn't so keen on it :?
After that we tried Science wet, Pedigree and Wainwrights but after the first month on those wasn't fussy. We're back on Bakers now, with meat, fish and veg a couple of meals :)
I know lots of people will gasp in horror over the Bakers but he loves it.
Don't give up with the Peeing issue all my neighbours thought I was mad too, Murphy only ever wanted to do it in the back garden :sl*p:
It will all click eventually. We give him a small treat when he goes outside now, seems to work.

murphy's mum said:
I know lots of people will gasp in horror over the Bakers but he loves it.

My two have Bakers and they love it too ( they also have minced chicken as a tasty bit on top!) Its not the best food in the world but they are both fit nad healthly so am reluctant to change....

Thats the way I see it too, touch wood he's never had any tummy upsets, apart from just after his second vac. He gets natural yougurt too, and dare I say it is as fit as a fiddle :D

The vets normally get a commission for Science Plan - we just used the free sample we got for treats - they started on Pedigree Chum Puppy and then went onto the Adult Small Dog, but after comments about James Welbeloved we changed onto that for all of them, they are a healthy and their coats are great.... we just change flavours now and again or add tuna or mince beef and carrots also.

Back