• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

What I'm thankful for: Rory 1 year post-op (+pics!)

rory

Wow! I can't believe it's been a whole year since Rory had his decompression surgery for Syringomyelia! This time last year I was a basketcase and you all who were there with me have no idea how much your support, thoughts, prayers, and encouragement meant to me. It was always a comfort to know I could come here and share updates on Rory, news, and my grief - and always receive encouraging words and nice thoughts for me and the Rorster.

Today - one year from his surgery - we are back in Seattle (where he had the surgery), but this time his head is fully haired and he was running like a champ at the fabulous big muddy dog park up here. I was so happy to watch my boy fly. This time last year, I didn't know how many months I'd have left with him. I really didn't think he'd be with me now.

He got filthy filthy, so he got a bath following. But here are some pics of his high flying adventures!

_REY2029.jpg

_REY2175.jpg

_REY2022.jpg

Soooooo dirty.....
_REY2163.jpg

_REY2152.jpg

Running with his big sis, Shiloh:
_REY1987.jpg

Shiloh getting filthy:
_REY2128.jpg

_REY2129.jpg

_REY2130.jpg

With my sister's Newfoundland puppy:
_REY2100.jpg

On the drive home:
IMG_1189.jpg

The gang (minus 1 more newf in the background)
IMG_1200.jpg

And just some pics from a year ago, after his surgery:
IMG_6366.jpg

Rory026.jpg

Thank you all again for your support over the last year and a half as we've dealt with this devastating disease. I am just so so so proud of my little boy. He is my hero and I wish we could all enjoy life to the extent he does - with such joy and carefree abandon. :) Living every day like it's his last, yet also as if life while never end.

He is all of our Hero's !! Oh how I love that boy ! I cant believe you let him get all dirty like that Ewwwwwwwwww LOL LOL

LOVE the Gang pic !!! Those Newfs are BEAUTIFUL !!

Kiss Rory's hairy little head for me huh ? *SMOOCH*

God Kendall...I cried as I looked through these pictures!! What an absolute miracle to see him so happy and free. What an incredible blessing. He looks fabulous!!! Thank you so much for sharing his story a year ago. I think you really helped bring this condition out of the shadows for a lot of us. It broke my heart as you were going through but couldn't have asked for a better outcome. Please give that sweet boy tons of puppy kisses from Jake and Shelby (and some from me too!)

What a scary time that must have been for you! I bet you were thankful for a lot this Thanksgiving, and so was your little Rory. What a wonderful success story to give others hope when there seems like there is none to give. He looks so happy and care free; the perfect cavalier mentality :D

What big friends he has!!! The first time I met a newfoundland, I thought the person had a baby bear on a leash!! They are big lovebugs as it turns out! They looked like they has tons of fun in the muddy park.

What wonderful pics and that how truly wonderful it is that Rory is doing so much better now!!!! What a marvelous thing to be thankful for. :flwr:

I wasn't here a year ago, but I can imagine how scared you were for Rory when he went in for surgery. Seeing him enjoy life...and MUD...no one would ever guess what he's been through. I love those fun pictures of all of the dogs acting like dogs! Thanks for sharing them.

A dirty dog is a happy dog--so it often seems. :D
i think the 4th one from the top would've been stiff competition in the dirtiest dog theme contest, if you'd had it photo at the time.
rory looks fantastic, physically and spiritually. You got some great shots there, that one of shiloh in mid air is awesome. love the one on the backseat of the car.
happy happy happy anniversary to our hero and him mom. :flwr:

:w*w: A year alread he looks so well in a way it is his brithday so :hppybdy: I watch everthing last year and was so pleased he is alright-----Aileen

Oh Kendall!!!! Doesn't he look great. I can understand your joy 12 months on . I couldn't believe that it had been so long since his surgery. You must get so much pleasure watching him run and enjoy life.
Lots of kisses and hugs from
Julie, Sophie and Lottie- your Australian connection :D :flwr:

He looks great Kendall. and he is truly a hero for so many with all he and you have taught us with this terrible disease...hats off to both of you!!!!

It has been a long journey for you in particular -- Rory like any cheerful dog :) always took one day at a time but you as his human owner, carried the knowledge and concern and stress each day. Look how far you have come and how well he is doing and how happy you are now! :D :flwr: It is such a pleasure to read these posts and see all the pics. And I just love those pics with the newfs; what a contrast in size and shape! Shiloh looks so happy being a lab, in the water and mud, too. :lol:

Thanks so much for the update and be sure to give yourself a treat as well as Rory to celebrate. :wggle:

PS yu always get such great pictures of the dogs.

What a journey!? It's just wonderful that he's doing so much better now. Amazing. :flwr:
The pictures are super! Some of my favorite pictures on this website. I love them. Dogs being dogs... he looks very content. :wggle:

Oh, Kendall..... what wonderful pictures of truly the most amazing dog I have ever had the honor & priveledge to meet. (not to mention the most wonderful mommy! :p ). Those pictures are priceless, sweetie! I am so very glad you shared what I'm sure was an emotional experience for you! Those pictures had me cracking up! What a little dirt ball!!

I remember a year ago, speaking with you on the day of his surgery....

Wow.

To look at him now, you would never know the experiences you have both been through. You are both so amazingly strong, and are truly an inspiration to us all.

It is amazing to see the success with Rory's decompression surgery. May this be one of the first (of many to come) "success stories" of this devastating & crippling disease (for both owner and dog).

Thank you again for sharing such heart-warming pictures. Here's to MANY more years of health & happiness!
WE LOVE YOU, KENDALL & RORY!!!

PS - Darby is upset she didn't get to mud-wrestle with her boyfriend. ;) Would you have Rory call her when he returns home to Davis? She would really love to see him & give him kisses for his 1 year post-sx anniversary!

Remember when..... (these will always be two of my all-time favorite pictures of them)
Listen to me, kid.......
Listentomekid.jpg
roryanddarbyat3months.jpg

What wonderful photos, and your story is so touching! I am so glad it has a happy ending!!

Kendall, that's wonderful! Congratulations on your one year anniversary! So hard to believe what you have both been through and how great Rory looks now. Those pictures just prove how happy he is these days. (Filthy, but happy! :lol: ) Here's to many more happy years together!! :jmp2: :*nana:

You're an excellent mum

Thank you for sharing your story and those amazing pictures. Apparently compassion and photography run in the family. God Bless you all.

Kendall, thanks for sharing your pictures of Rory and his story, which offers hope to so many! It's wonderful to see him playing and having fun! :) Happy one year anniversary! :flwr:

Kendall,

Thank you for sharing that story. I can't believe how much you've been through the last year.. Thank God everything is turning out OK. Rory looks so good now and it's so wonderful to see him enjoying life to the fullest. He's such a strong little guy.

Looks like you had fun in my rainy hometown state!! :lol: I can't wait to get home and take Kos to play in the mud. Rory looks like he had a blast. I love the pictures of the other dogs too. Looks like you had a full car.. :lol:

Rory, you're an inspiration to all of us! :flwr:

Back