• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

What size of kong?

murphy's mum

Who out there uses a kong?
Murphy is 9 months now and he can't get at the bottom of his puppy kong (its the small puppy one). Any idea if I should get him a small or a medium size now he's a big boy :p
Tried typing in Cavalier King Charles Spaniel and some variations into Kong.com but it just kept saying try again :crash:
And having him sitting on my lap trying to type really slowed me down too, his spelling was terrible :rotfl:

daisy uses a puppy kong, she can never quite get all the stuff inside out though, i think there is always a bit left in the bottom that they can't get. you could always try to get him a larger one.

thank you

I'm at the kong website you provided me. I think Tucker will be getting a Kong for Christmas. Are their plush toys durable? Tucker is incredibly tough on toys, he thrashes them, and chews on them. I've purchased him plush toys intended for much larger dogs and still he's managed to puncture them, same for rubber ones, that I find chewed to the point I fear pieces will fall off for him to swallow. I've had toys I purchased Tucker last as little as 15 minutes before they went into the trash. Recently I ordered from a website and never even gave him the little toys because I know they were too dangerous. Straight into the trash bin with them. Before he even got to drool on them. His favorite toy is a Winnie the Pooh stuffed bear, that is intended for children of 24 months and older. He's had three in the past 1.5 yrs. He loves them but thrashes them, and throws them in the air, when he's not chewing on him or running around the house with one of winnie's paws in his mouth. Clearly Tucker is descended from hunting dogs!

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
Even as we speak Murphy is throwing his teddy about, 'killing' him, poor teddy has been repaired soooo many times as I can't find another that looks the same :?
I have found the kong to be quite tough but I have never gave him one of their plush toys

Winnie the pooh is on the injured list

again, I wonder if Tucker realizes this is his 3rd Winnie. I've got to stitch up his arm and put him in the washing machine before Tucker gets him back. I should do this today. He'll be so excited. Winnie wears a little red t-shirt, first thing tucker does is remove winnie's shirt!

Cody and Wesley have the Kong treat ball (the smaller version, I beleive there are two sizes). They love this thing! I find that it is easier to clean out because the holes on either end are larger and warm water will flush out all of the nasties that are left inside. It lasts longer too as they have to be a bit more tricky to get the filling out.

I fill it with peanut butter, wet food, yogurt or cottage cheese and/or chopped carrots or apple bits and pop it in the freezer overnight. It lasts longer and there is less mess. They adore it!!
:D

King has the small puppy kong..he's had it since he was a pup..now he's 2 and I don't see the point in getting him the adult kong cuz he doesn't even destroy the puppy one...even though he's 18lbs the small one seems perfect for him he can fit it perfectly in his mouth to carry it around...

He had the Dr. Noys frog which he adores had that for about 2yrs as well since I got him... He's not a big toy destroyer, which I'm glad but I always get him new toys even though his old are perfectly inshape

I prefer this toy, instead of a Kong http://www.busybuddytoys.com/moreinfo.cfm?Product_ID=2&CFID=22319560&CFTOKEN=90441796

as it is easier to clean, but is lighter and just as strong. Kongs can sometimes get jammed in mouths or a dog may get its jaw trapped in the hole. This toy is too wide to be trapped in mouths(I have the medium one), yet is slim enough to pick up and the opening is long and slim, educing the chance of getting a jaw caught. It can also be adjusted to the size of treat to just allow enough to come out. When the dog scrabbles at it, it spins off across the floor.

As we have peace (Joly is at the vets and Teddy out with David) I let Izzy play with the 'purple thing' and he loved it. He ran around for about 10 minutes, until he got all the Schmacko out and this is a 9 year-old.

The photos are blurred, but he didn't stay still for long.

003purple3.jpg

002purple2.jpg

001purple1.jpg

He's named after Isambard Kingdom Brunel, builder of bridges. Until two weeks ago, the vets (recently taken over) had him down as a girl. This morning they had Joly down as Joey, so I joked, ' You haven't got him down as a girl, too ?' And guess what....

murphy's mum said:
Who out there uses a kong?
Murphy is 9 months now and he can't get at the bottom of his puppy kong (its the small puppy one). Any idea if I should get him a small or a medium size now he's a big boy :p
Tried typing in Cavalier King Charles Spaniel and some variations into Kong.com but it just kept saying try again :crash:
And having him sitting on my lap trying to type really slowed me down too, his spelling was terrible :rotfl:
We use the small red kongs for our cavs.

We have both a puppy Kong (though I think it's the wrong size--medium, but that's all there was) and a Busy buddy 'purple thing' (as well as a 'bone thing' from them). Bishop partially likes the Kong...as long as there is food he can lick, then he gets bored with it. We put kibble in the busy buddy and it lasts about 5 minutes...he holds it with his teeth and spins it open so they all fall out and he eats away.

Bishop is also a powerful chewer; we get him the AKC stuffed animals and he eats away at them (rabbit only has one ear!)

He loves the dental Kong (rope with a kong) and this thing called Petstage Orka Jack chew with rope--we put kibble in the sides and it takes him longer to get at it, then he likes to run around with it and he chews on the rope (which so far has not been destroyed).

I couldn't find the company site, so here's our pet store display: http://phydeauxpets.com/mm5/merchan...t_Code=6846&Category_Code=PetstagesDogChewing

I don't know if anyone has already suggested this (sorry if it is redundent) but what about a treat dispensing toy that uses soft treats or crunchy treats??

The only reason I suggest this for a solution is that, my mother's dog often can't reach the bottom of her kong and the other day (my mom is a clean freak and often washes the kong after use) my mom noticed some mold-ish type stuff in the bottom of the Kong where ZoeZoe can't get to it. She threw it out and headed to PetsMart to get a new one, then they told her about the kongs that take cruchy or quasi-soft treats instead of the fillings (there are other brands than Kong too).

So, all in all just a suggestion to help puppy get maximum treat-age!

Another thing that I do that would solve this solution is just to use dry kibble. When I know that I am going to be late for feeding them dinner (which is at 4pm), I give them a king ball with half of their evening meal in it before I leave, which is just their dry food. They really enjoy it and they think that they are getting something special because it is not in the boring ole bowl icon_whistling.

Another great toy is the "Treat stick" from Helpingudders.com. Cody LOVES this thing. I do the same with it and I only use this toy for kibble because it falls easily out of the hole. Cody gets his breakfast out of it each morning.

http://www.helpingudders.com/TreatStik.htm

Back