• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Should he get a jacket?

murphy's mum

Do many of you have jackets for your dogs? With the weather turning colder, and wetter, typical Scotland :? I was considering getting my boy a coat to keep him dry and warm. I measured him he's 15" tall and 18" long! (that could explain why he weights 19lb) :lol:
We tried some on at PAH but the small was too small length wise and the medium far too large round his waist. I've seen some on-line that 'are fully adjustable' but I still have my doubts icon_nwunsure
Can anyone recommend somewhere? Or do you think he wont need one?

Hello, i have Daisy wear a coat as it is getting cold now, and she seems to like having her coat on. I have made Daisy several coats myself and i could make you one to fit if you want. Let me know if you are interested. I have got some examples of coats that i have made for daisy (very nice ones) and i can email them to you if you want. Just let me know your email address. (I cannot upload them to this site as i have used my 100% quota for this month on flickr.com)

Lucky has a pretty advanced wardrobe as well and it is still growing. I don't know that he NEEDS a coat, but I like walking him around town in cute coats. :)

All my coats are from shops in the US, so it probably won't be much help for you. Good Luck. And whatever you do we'll need pictures. :snap:

Photo's you must be joking tried to take some when we were out walking today. He was running about that fast all I kept getting was a butt :lol:
But we will attempt a photo :D

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

I have a bunch of butt photos too. :) Those never make it online. Maybe we'll make it a future theme some week ... I'll bet we're not the only ones and it would give us something to do with all those reject pics.

That said, my photography has improved since we started training classes - sit and watch me go a long way toward a good pic.

And ... thank goodness for digital cameras ... you can take 15 pics to get one decent one and you don't have to waste film or pay to develop bad pics. :)

emmawright said:
I have made Daisy several coats myself and i could make you one to fit if you want. Let me know if you are interested. I have got some examples of coats that i have made for daisy (very nice ones) and i can email them to you if you want. Just let me know your email address.
I tried to PM you don't know if I did it right never done it before :sl*p:

I got Rocky a coat this year just for when it was raining I also got 1 for Jazzie I could not get one with out the other now I will look for a new coat for Barney and Jazzie---Aileen

My husband calls me "the crazy lady who dresses up her dog!"

Whatever!! So what if Darby has a better wardrobe than I do! icon_whistling

I personally think winter coats are a must in cold weather, as many Cavaliers have relatively thin coats. Here's my favorite coat of Darby's, taken last year when she was only 8 months old... it's an AKC brand. It's a medium, and it fits her perfectly (she's 15 lbs).

darbyinwintercoat.jpg

re jackets

alfie has a coat.i only put it on in the rain.it keeps his back dry then you dont have to dry him .just his paws.it said four seconds to get on.i dont think so.but he seems to like it he knows he going for a walk when he puts it on.the reflector ones are good.

so far, zack has a black pullover hoodie, which he's wearing in the avatar photo, and i got him this raincoat slicker thing which has a warm lining, and is also big enough to go over a sweater. The raincoat was too small in the size small but the size medium fit well all over except the belly band is way too loose to use with the velcro. but if i tie it then it fits.

zrainct1.jpg

zrnct3.jpg

I think a coat is a good idea to keep your pup dry and warm in that type of climate. I've gotten a winter coat for Coco. As soon as I saw her shiver outside in the fall one morning, I knew I had to buy her a coat. She hasn't worn it because it hasn't been really cold or even snowed yet! So far she's been wearing sweaters when it's cold outside. I've been looking for a raincoat for her too.
I'm sorry I can't recommend one as I live in Canada.

The little coat Lily has on in my Avatar is adjustable with velcro under her tummy, but she has grown so much it is a little short now. It was all the way to her tail, but now a couple of inches above her tail. Hopefully, this one will get her through winter, and I will get her a new one next winter.

The pictures are so cute. Darby looks like a supermodel, what a pose :)
And Coco looks ready for anything. Definatly gonna keep looking for a jacket that fits my boy

Darby's Mom said:
...Whatever!! So what if Darby has a better wardrobe than I do! icon_whistling

that is a nice jacket, i'd love to have one in that style (for moi)....sure looks warm.

Shay said:
The little coat Lily has on in my Avatar is adjustable with velcro under her tummy, but she has grown so much it is a little short now. It was all the way to her tail, but now a couple of inches above her tail. Hopefully, this one will get her through winter, and I will get her a new one next winter.

i always wondered what she was wearing. It always reminded me of one of those superman capes little kids would wear. super puppy. she looks very cute in it.

me to barbara...

dont want to offend & this is purely individual but i think some coats are ridiculous & if i was a dog wearing one , i would be totally embarrassed. Some are dressed like dolls.

I took lily for her 2nd lot of vaccinations & had her wrapped in a fluffy blanket & the vet said ''she dosent need a coat, she a tough spaniel''... so in other words i dont need to molly collie her...

If by chance i get a coat it would be a smart straight forward one not one will leg & arm holes..

I think coats are totally necessary in some situations. When it gets down to -20 celsius (or -4 fahrenheit) there is no way I'm gonna make Kosmo walk around in the buff. Especially being so young - he doesn't have a full coat in yet.

We also have harsh winters here in Toronto with awful windchills so, no matter how ridiculous looking people may think it is, I will choose comfort. He also has a pair of booties to wear in the snow, and I have to say I like the coat. When it's just rained and it's real wet outside, it protects his undercarriage from getting all wet which is a Godsend. :)

:lol: She does look like super Cav. It is a little pink wool coat. It has pockets on the side with big brown barrel buttons and a collar. I reminds me of one I had as a kid.

arasara said:
...I have to say I like the coat. When it's just rained and it's real wet outside, it protects his undercarriage from getting all wet which is a Godsend. :)

sara, is there a photo posted of kos in the coat yet? zack is wearing his Roots hoodie tonight for our bike ride/run :flwr: thanks for the tip on the new york dog shop, i got the puppia hoodies in both colors this morning. was about to get the Eskimo coat, just what i'm looking for, but when i talked to Lisa about the sizing, she seemed to think he'd be in between the large and medium, neither would probably fit him right. it's kind of chancy to fit a coat without trying it on...good price on that Eskimo coat though, $19.95.

Back