PDA

View Full Version : odd female behavior

Gracesbigsis
28th November 2006, 01:20 AM
My dog is a 10 month old female who was spayed in July, when she was about 5 months old. Only, she's been mounting things. Isn't that a male trait or do females get confused? Does this have something to do with spaying?

Karlin
28th November 2006, 01:30 AM
It is quite normal if unwanted and 'rude' (as far as other recipient dogs are concerned!) and only sometimes a sexual behaviour -- it can be a behavioural thing, a way of demonstrating dominance over another dog, simple play -- and yes, females very often do humping behaviour. As a matter of fact my friend's female dog mounted her sister dog this evening at a training class -- and Lily, my female, humps pillows all the time. :roll: No sofa is safe in my house. :lol: I have friends with a collie mix female who mounts their male dog all the time too -- both neutered.

You will need to work to refocus her so that she learns this isn;t a desireable behaviour.

See: http://www.vetinfo.com/dhump.html

A really good article on why this happens and how to refocus a dog:

http://www.petsforum.com/labadoption/linkpages/DogBehave/Articles/Stop%20My%20Dog%20from%20Mounting.pdf

Natalie
28th November 2006, 05:51 PM
my boyfriends parent's dog humps her blanket, bed, cuddly toys.

Barbara Nixon
28th November 2006, 06:32 PM
Some females will even cock a leg, like a male.

Karlin
28th November 2006, 08:37 PM
I've seen that! It is funny to see a female lift a leg. Likewise many males squat to pee. :lol: Jaspar almost always squats for his first long wee of a walk then lifts his leg the rest of the time. Lily squats and sticks one leg out in the air like a gymnast. :roll:

lorin
29th November 2006, 01:48 AM
Before we got Abby, Izzy humped her bed occassionally.

molly+charlies mum
29th November 2006, 11:03 AM
molly does it, just before i came on here today she was in the bedroom humping a big pink rabbit she will climb on the chair and do it then get down and lay on the bed and sleep :D

lily
29th November 2006, 11:51 AM
the vet told me that lily wouldnt feel frisky once she was spayed.. :shock:

Barbara Nixon
29th November 2006, 12:47 PM
There's no guarantee. Joly's grandad still 'likes the girls' after being done.

lily
29th November 2006, 01:47 PM
the randy old devil..... :lol: