• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Recovery time for spay?

WillowsMom

Just wondering if anyone can tell me the average recovery time after spaying? Willow will be the right age for spaying end of Dec/beginning of Jan - we're thinking of getting her done around Dec 15, since hubby will be off work the following week. However, we're going to be doing a lot of travelling starting late the next week, and I don't want her to be uncomfortable on our long car rides....

Thanks!
Krista

She will be pretty much back to normal within a day or so, but you need to restrict her ability to do much for the next two weeks while the stitches heal. She should be fine on car trips though that could be extra stressful if she doesn't like car trips. By a week after spay, the incision will have healed pretty well.

Tandie had a full spay (hysterectomy) and I can't believe how quickly she recovered. She slept an awful lot for the first couple of days, but after a week she seemed almost completely back to normal and when she got her stitches out the wound seemed to be completely healed.

If you call your vet's office, they could give you a list of all the restrictions to help with your planning. I remember no stairs, no jumping on/off furniture, and not to over exercise her (just short walks, etc.) I think that was for 2 weeks following surgery, but so much time has passed I cannot remember the details.

When we had Chocolate spayed last year at age 3 (she was previously owned by a breeder), we got her the [more expensive] laparoscopic spay, which had a recovery time of 3 days!! :)

Back