PDA

View Full Version : confused new puppy mum on how much to feed

Natalie
28th November 2006, 08:00 PM
Hi, i have just started feeding lady on james wellbeloved puppy/performance lamb and rice and have been wondering how much food to feed her the packet says for a 2 month pup feed assuming that her adult weight will be 12 kg that she should be eating 170 grams per day and that seems to me, to be a lot of food. I have been feeding her a lot less than that only 70 grams a day plus fresh chicken and sometimes a little cooked mince. Does that sound about right or am i starving my puppy. :?

joanna
28th November 2006, 08:24 PM
Hiya,
Welcome! There is now way her adult weight should be 12kg, 8kg should be the very heaviest by show standard so I suppose that will cut it down immediately. As you are supplementing with chicken and mince I reckon you are feeding about right.

Joanna

Karlin
28th November 2006, 09:03 PM
Feeding a cavalier:

http://roycroftcavaliers.com/manualfeeding.htm
From which:

FEEDING DIRECTIONS
Whether you decide to feed a high quality kibble or a commercially prepared whole foods diet, the following directions will apply.

Puppies between 8 and 16 weeks of age do quite well on 3 meals a day. They start out with about a large handful of kibble for each meal or about 1/4 cup. At about 4 to 6 months of age you may begin feeding your puppy twice a day, about 1/2 cup or so each time. Somewhere between 10 and 18 months of age you may begin feeding just once a day--with some really good eaters you may need to feed just once a day by 6 or 7 months of age.

Each time you feed your puppy, put the food down for approximately 15 minutes. If the puppy hasn't finished it after 15 minutes, pick it up and put it away until the next feeding time. Do NOT try to feed in between. Refrigerate if you are feeding a commercially prepared whole foods diet. Do not worry if your puppy appears thin. Puppies are just like humans. Some are very thin while growing up and some are not. It is highly unlikely your puppy will starve itself unless it is already ill. A puppy that grows slowly is best--there is no first prize for gaining full size as early as possible! Puppies who grow slowly are more likely to be able to develop muscle and tissue at the correct rate to keep up the the bone development. Of course some puppies are gluttons! Be careful not to overfeed a glutton.

Good cavalier care manual:

http://roycroftcavaliers.com/manual1.htm

Most puppies work out at about 6-8 oz (3/4th -1 cup measure) of food a day spread across a number of meals. As adults they often eat about 6 oz, less or more dependent on many factors.

A cavalier shouldn't end up 12 kg unless oversized or very fat. :)

Natalie
28th November 2006, 11:39 PM
:oops: where did i get 12 kg from now i think about it that does seem like a heavy cavalier. i wrote that post before i had my tea am useless thinking on a empty tummy!
Karlin that amount of food seems right
thanks for such quick and helpful responses love natalie and or course lady xx