• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

separation anxiety in new puppy

Natalie

hi
i had a friend to vist and she said that i was cruel. As when lady cries when i put her in crate to go to sleep at night (the crate is next to our bed so she can see me and it has comfy bed, blanket). But if i keep picking her up everytime she cries surely she will never get used to crate at night. She tends to have a little cry for maybe 30 seconds then stops and goes to sleep when she realises that i am not going to pick her up. Am i doing the right thing or not? I wouldn't ever want to do anything to hurt her. We also take her go to the toilet through the night so we don't have accidents.

Thats the way we did it. It broke my heart to hear ginger cry the first few nights (and ever as it does happen throughout everyones lifetime!) but now she loves her crate and definatly feels safe there.
It took a few nights before she stopped crying. Then she would cry around 6am and we'd take her out to use the bathroom. From everything I read and have been told thats the way to do it. Dont feel bad that your putting her in there, she needs to feel that she has a safe place to go and that will become her "den" and prove so valuable to you and her in the future.
If you do continue to pick her up every time she cries, she will continue to cry and get your attention and get picked up and it becomes a vicious cycle. I imagine much like with a small baby they learn what they can get away with! :flwr:

I'm doing the same with Lia and I think it's the way to do it!!!

I've had a greyhound with severe separation anxiety and I can assure you that a puppy who cries 30 seconds and then goes to sleep has not separation anxiety.

Lia likes her crate every day more and more...
You have to do "the crate game" ( I'LL BE HOME SOON, by Patricia McConnell). Every day you have to praise the puppy when he go to the crate on his own, or throw a toy in and out of the crate, cuddling him when is in the crate, and ignore him a little bit when is loose in the house on his own.

And it doesn't sound cruel at all!!! :wggle: (y)

wow thanks for all the advice this forum is fantastic your all so helpfull and it's nice to talk non stop about cavalier my friends think am crackers.

why use crates.

please explain why use crates.i havent heard of them,we have always had dogs area in the utility room.is it bacause of leaving them in a safe place.

Makes housetraining easier (because a dog is wired NOT to soil it's bed/den) and also means that if you need to do something, you know both puppy and possessions are safe! That's it in a nutshell, really. Also obviously an advantage for travelling, trips to the vet etc.

And prevents separation anxiety because the dog has a little safe place for him where he feels secure.

When we are talking about crates we are talking too about small rooms or kennels.

If you want to learn more:

Cavalier King Charles Spaniel
Author : J.Cunnlife

The Behaviour of the dog
Author: C.Schwartz

At the other end of the Leash
Author : Patricia McConnell (I'm reading now this one and already love it, is very special)

I'll be home soon.
Author : Patricia McConnell

(last one is very very special for those who has a dog with separation anxiety. We had rescued greyhounds at home waiting to be adopted an more of them ha separation anxiety)

Back