• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

"Private Breeder" - pet store

My Wesley

So I was donating blood today and when I was all done, I headed to a pet store that was in the same shopping center. There was a sign outside that said "Puppies are from Private Breeders". And of course they were mostly mixed with a few pure breds. There were puggles, Westiepoos, and a few other pure breds. And let me just tell you... those Westiepoos were the MOST OBNOXIOUS dogs I've had to listen to. I went back there to look at the puppies and as soon as those Westiepoos saw me, they just barked and barked and barked. I was like, "my goodness dogs!"

Anyway, so it just annoyed me about people mix breeding dogs. All I could think is WHO IN THE HECK would want that yappy little thing?!?

I must say though, those Puggles are on the cute end of all Puggles I've seen.

So, I just found it funny because it said Private Breeders on the door. Like, "no, we won't tell you where your puppy came from."

I can't imagine that reputable breeders sell their dogs to pet stores. Why breed if you're going to send them to pet stores? I just don't get it!

If I were a breeder, I'd want to be a reputable breeder that shows my dogs and hounds all prospective buyers. I'd love to get into it in 10-15 years or so, depending how life goes.

Anyway... so I guess the point of this whole post is...... reputable breeders would never send their puppies to pet stores would they??? I don't think I've ever come across anyone that sells their dogs to pet stores.

I think buying a puppy from a reputable breeder in a pet shop is as likely as buying a baby elephant!!!! No reputable breeder would place their precious puppies in the hands of a pet shop that doesn’t care who buys them!
Westies are great dogs if owned by the right people; however I find the incessant barking a little hard to deal with. I groom dogs and westies are among the culprits of those dogs who wish to bark all day!!!!!!!!!!!
I must say the puggaliers (or whatever else they are called) are absolutely adorable! More so because they are just so ridiculous looking, my friend was given one by her father after her Labrador died from an obstruction and it’s the ugliest dog I have ever seen, but its so sweet. It has the ability to pull some of the most hysterical facial expressions. Just thinking of her now makes me giggle :jmp2:

My Wesley said:
Anyway... so I guess the point of this whole post is...... reputable breeders would never send their puppies to pet stores would they??? I don't think I've ever come across anyone that sells their dogs to pet stores.

:lol: Hehe this is a bit off topic but last night I had a funny dream on the same subject! I was in a pet shop and I saw a pug and a little black dog in this tiny box which was like a plastic crate. I took the pug out and cuddled it, my dad came over to me and said he wanted to buy that puppy! :yikes I was shocked because my dad hates dogs :| and the dog was only $20 but It looked like a full grown pug. So I asked the petshop people who were all cackling like witches :shock: if they knew where the dog came from. They just shrugged their shoulders and said "I really can't tell you sorry" :sl*p:

Reputable breeders would never sell puppies to a pet store. "Private" breeders is just an attempt to say they aren't from huge puppy mill suppliers, I suppose, but it doesn't mean much. Selling through a pet store is about as likely as ensuring a good home as handing out the puppies on a street corner. :shock:

Absolutely, no reputable breeder would sell their pups to a pet store! And no reputable breeder would be producing mixed breeds; we used to call the mixed breeds "Heinz 57's". Since puppy mills are not publicly held companies (as far as I know), then a puppy mill would be a "private breeder". That pet shop's sign is BS.

soma said:
Westies are great dogs if owned by the right people; however I find the incessant barking a little hard to deal with. I groom dogs and westies are among the culprits of those dogs who wish to bark all day!!!!!!!!!!!
:

Westie was one breed I thought about, before getting Lily. My Vet said they have really bad allergies. But I also asked about Cavs and Havanese. He said Havanese were very fragile. He said Cav's were great dogs and not once did he mention health risk with Cav's. It probably wouldn't have changed my mind, but his comments about the other 2 did steer me away from them.

Bruce H said:
Absolutely, no reputable breeder would sell their pups to a pet store! And no reputable breeder would be producing mixed breeds; we used to call the mixed breeds "Heinz 57's". Since puppy mills are not publicly held companies (as far as I know), then a puppy mill would be a "private breeder". That pet shop's sign is BS.

Haha. Never heard the Heinz 57's! Too funny.

Yeah, I just thought it was interesting how they put that. I should've taken a picture. It just pissed me off because all I could think is what a clever way to trick the untrained puppy buyer....

Awww I love Westies. I dreamed of having one as a kid too and hope to one day also have one as they are such sweetis. All the ones I know of dont bark more the average dog but maybe I havent been around them enough

Don't get me started on "designer dogs." :x It's basically selling a pound puppy for big bucks. There used to be a grooming/boarding place around here that I'd heard did wonderful grooming. Turns out they also sold puppies from "private breeders." In fact, they could get any breed you wanted, from their vast network of "private breeders." :roll: Needless to say, I found another groomer before I set foot in that place.

Back