• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

what healthy treats can i give a 8 week pup?

Natalie

Does anyone know any healthy treats that i can give lady for training. I know you can feed veg and fruit but do i have to wait till she's a little older she's 8 weeks at moment and do i need to cook veg for her to eat or is it better to give it raw.?

My boys love raw carrots, they just crunch away at them. Just don't give them too many or it will turn their poo orange!! :lol:

You could also try individual pieces of your puppies kibble - I have to do that because Lucky has colitis. He loves his food, so that works just fine for me and I can subtract the training treats portion from his meals and not worry about him eating too much or eating something that will disagree with him.

Other people will probably also have other suggestions too.

Prob cook the veg, and blend it into a smoothie, although both of mine like raw frozen green beans- but I didn't get either at 8 weeks! The cooking and blending should prevent any tummy trouble, but that's not much good as a treat!

Pedigree's smackos are good because you can tear them into tiny tiny bits- but if you use them, make sure you give it in TINY little quantities- unless your pup is like mine and has the digestion of a bin van. Or you could get the puppy treats, but they're not usually made for tiny Cav puppies. I found that at ten weeks Natures's Menu treats went down great with Amber. The treats are good, natural treats with a very high percentage of meat, and they're small to begin with, but for training I chopped them into four even tinier bits. Worked well.

Lisa_T said:
Prob cook the veg, and blend it into a smoothie, although both of mine like raw frozen green beans- but I didn't get either at 8 weeks! The cooking and blending should prevent any tummy trouble, but that's not much good as a treat!

Pedigree's smackos are good because you can tear them into tiny tiny bits- but if you use them, make sure you give it in TINY little quantities- unless your pup is like mine and has the digestion of a bin van. Or you could get the puppy treats, but they're not usually made for tiny Cav puppies. I found that at ten weeks Natures's Menu treats went down great with Amber. The treats are good, natural treats with a very high percentage of meat, and they're small to begin with, but for training I chopped them into four even tinier bits. Worked well.

Thats what I do - Bakers Nibbles into 8 tiny pieces!

Pets at Home have some tiny treats which are soft enough to break even smaller. They are 99p for a large packet.

Barbara Nixon said:
Pets at Home have some tiny treats which are soft enough to break even smaller. They are 99p for a large packet.

I know the ones you mean. They gave my pair the most horrendous gas!

And Kirsty, your dogs must have better tummies than mine- I had to feed Bakers for a couple of weeks there as a stopgap until I could get more lovely Wainwrights. Both pups' poo turned to sludge- but they looooove those big meaty chunks so I chopped them up and put them in a separate box as sweeties. Back on Wainwright's now- £19 for 15 kg!!- and all poo is nice and hard and dry, oh joy.

Sorry for the detour! :roll:

Natalie said:
Does anyone know any healthy treats that i can give lady for training. I know you can feed veg and fruit but do i have to wait till she's a little older she's 8 weeks at moment and do i need to cook veg for her to eat or is it better to give it raw.?
I would boil a chicken breast and cut it up into tiny pieces. Or tiny bits of low fat string cheese. 8 weeks is very young for training. Have fun! :flwr:

I would prob stick wit the puppy kibble, boiled chicken...some puppies tummies can be a lil sensitive if given foods that aren't easy to digest...

At the pet store where I work we gave the pups sweet potatoes, and the next day it was diarreah city....lol

So becareful and go slow introducing new thing, remember their babies and like all babies their stomachs are maturing... Good Luck!!!

Good advice Aaron. Jake had such a sensitive tummy as a puppy. I was so excited to buy all these wonderful treats for him and all they did was set off his tummy. We also figured out that he liked his kibble just fine and being fed it as a treat was what worked for us. Now, they can both eat a variety of things. They both love carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, apples, bananas, blueberries.

Lisa_T said:
Barbara Nixon said:

I know the ones you mean. They gave my pair the most horrendous gas!

And Kirsty, your dogs must have better tummies than mine- I had to feed Bakers for a couple of weeks there as a stopgap until I could get more lovely Wainwrights. Both pups' poo turned to sludge- but they looooove those big meaty chunks so I chopped them up and put them in a separate box as sweeties. Back on Wainwright's now- £19 for 15 kg!!- and all poo is nice and hard and dry, oh joy.

Sorry for the detour! :roll:

A bit off topic, but with Merlin being so fussy - bakers was the only thing he would eat and I'm too afriad to change now.... although I have moved him onto the sensitive as it has no wheat, soy, dairy and no strong colours and his poop has firmed up somewhat. Oakley is on the puppy and his poops are fine ( but then again I think he has an iron stomach!)

Back