• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Bordetella (Canine Cough) Vaccination

Linda

I had Darby on a waiting list for Beginner Training Classes, I had posted in the past that they showed a small concern because he is still in tact. :dogwlk:

After speaking with the owner they do not feel that Darby will be any problem, however I have never vaccinated my boys for Bordetella
(Canine Cough). But this is recommended in order to start the classes,
I called the Vet and made a appointment for a week this Saturday to have both Dudley & Darby Vaccinated. The Vet also recommended the shot since I do let them off leash occasionally. :paw:

How many of you give this shot, have any of you experienced your dogs getting Kennel Cough even with the vaccination. :huh: :huh:

I need to register for the class asap to confirm my spot, for all of you who
socialize your puppies/dogs in classes have you come across others who have not been vaccinated. h*lp
What are the chances that they can still pick up Kennel Cough even with being vaccinated.?????

Thank you for any feedback :thnku:

Dogs can pick up KC very easily -- it is highly contagious. The vaccine protects against some but not all strains. However it is required by many places that have a number of dogs around each other, from kennels to training classes to groomers. It can turn very serious -- to pneumonia in some cases, and then be life threatening.

It is pretty standard amongst anyone who has their dogs around a lot of strange dogs to use this -- needs to be redone every 6 months or so though. I've never heard of anyone who has had probelms with it. In very rare cases some say their dogs got the cough from the vaccine -- but it's a lot more likely IMHO that they gave it too close to the time the dog would be exposed to other dogs; the dog already had been exposed to a strain of KC; or it got a strain not covered by the vaccine. Also it is normal for the dog to have some sneezing etc in the days after the vaccine;l this is NOT full fledged KC but people perhaps thought it was hence 'my dog got KC from the vaccine'. But real KC sounds terrible, a really awful cough. Not just some sneezing and a runny nose.

I do know of puppies that have been very serious with it and a dog that nearly dies when KC turned to pneumonia -- cost thousands to save the dog.

See for lots of good info:

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_kennel_cough.html

Also, from cavaliersonline.com:

Bordetella bronchiseptica is a bacteria that causes infection of
the trachea and bronchi; the infection is commonly called "kennel
cough", and is kin to the human "whooping cough". The Bordetella
bronchiseptica vaccine is often given when dogs are likely to be
exposed to large numbers of other dogs, such as a dog show or
boarding kennel. It is available both as injection and as a
nasal inhalant. The inhalant vaccine is thought to be less likely
to cause a severe reaction, and also to have less interference by
immunity from colostrum. Immunization to Parainfluenza and
CAV-2 is thought to enhance the protection of the Bordetella vaccine.
Unfortunately, the Bordetella vaccine is not one of the more
efficient ones, having a short duration and about a 70%
protection rate, but I expect we will have more efficient vaccines
in the future.

personally I don't give the vaccine for training classes but have when I have boarded mine.

Also this reply from a kennel owner on another board about the KC vax might be of interest:

Hello,

I have a boarding kennel and training facility and EVERY single dog living here, or being boarded here MUST have a bordetella vaccination within the last 6 months. None the less, that does not prevent all disease. I hear frequently about outbreaks in other kennels with serious complications.

Just recently, I had a show and trial here .Everyone was required to demonstrate compliance with health requirements. It was 90 plus degrees outside and I allowed all dogs into the kennel to prevent a dog from becoming heat stressed or worse. Even though vaccinations were required, some dog carried some sort of upper respiratory infection which was passed to one dog of mine and one person who participated in the show had a dog become ill. It is possible the dogs got this from biting the sleeve as no other dogs, even dogs in close proximity, became ill. So, even with vaccination, get a lot of dogs in close proximity and one will generally have some sort of problem, even in a state of the art facility with outstanding ventilation.

It is irresponsible NOT to vaccinate dogs unless you are certain they will never be in contact with other dogs. DKiah is correct and I am sure others will tell you that bordetella can be very nasty. In my case, the two dogs who became ill had mild cases of whatever it was. None the less, they were ill, and it cost us money and I worried about other dogs becoming ill. It is simply a falsehood to mistake dogs being dead "from too many vaccines" with dogs dying of preventable disease. To think this way shows a lack of understanding of real risk. Though there are about 200 strains of bordetella and vaccination may not prevent all illness associated with exposure, it is likely to help and limit the scope and severity of the disease.

No bordetella vaccination? In this area and in every kennel I know of, I can guarantee no kennel or vet clinic will board your dog. Is it a matter of money? You bet! An unprotected dog carrying illness can cost me my business. Developing bordetella is a real risk if exposure happens. No one has ever proved a dog died of "too many vaccines", although some dogs have compromised immune systems and there are also those very rare adverse events associated with vaccination.

From http://www.pedigreedatabase.com/gsd/bulletins_read/30734.html

Back