• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Sweet Story About the Death of a Child's Dog

ppotterfield

This was posted to another breed forum. I thought some of you here might appreciate reading it as well:

"Our dog Abbey died Aug. 23, and the day after Abbey died, my 4 year old, Meredith, was SO upset. She wanted to write a letter to God so that God would recognize Abbey in heaven. She told me what towrite, and I did. Then she put 2 pictures of Abbey in the envelope. We addressed it to God in Heaven, put two stamps on it (because, as she said, it could be a long way to heaven). We put our return address on it, and I let her put it in the drop box at the post office that afternoon. She was absolutely sure that letter would get to heaven, and I wasn't about to disillusion her.

. . . today is Labor Day. We took the kids to the museum in Austin, and when we came home, there was a package wrapped in gold on our front porch. It was addressed to Mer. So, she took it inside and opened it. Inside was a book, When Your Pet Dies, by Mr. Rogers (Fred Rogers). On the front cover was the letter we had written to God, in its envelope (opened). On the opposite page was one of the pictures of Abbey taped on the page. On the back page was the other picture of Abbey, and this handwritten note on pink paper:

'Dear Mer,
I know that you will be happy to find out that Abbey arrived safely and soundly in heaven. Having the pictures you sent to me was a big help! I recognized Abbey right away!
You know, Mer, she isn't sick anymore. Her spirit is here with me (-just like it stays in your heart-) young and running and playing. Abbey loved being your dog, you know. Since we don't need our bodies in heaven, I
don't have any pockets to keep things in-- so I am sending you your beautiful letter back with the pictures--so that you will have this little memory book to keep. One of my angels is taking care of this for me. I hope this little book will help.
Thank you for your beautiful letter. Thank your mother for sending it.
What a wonderful mother you have. I picked her especially for you.
God blesses you every day and remember, I love you very much. By the way, I am in heaven and everywhere there is love.

Signed,
God, and one of his special angels (who wrote this
letter after God told HER the words).'"

Okay who has a tissue? What a beautiful and thoughtful gesture. There really are wonderful people in this world.

Oh, I am in tears...
Thinking about my daughter and how she was comforting her dieing friend, cavalier puppy Minnili some months ago...

Awe.... you made me cry! How sweet it is for someone to find that letter and actually do something about it! There ARE great people in this world! :)

Oh isn't that just lovely...someone pass the tissues here too.

There are some very special people in the world who take the time and trouble to care... :flwr: :flwr: :flwr:

Just when I thought I had composed myself!!! Ok I’m bringing the tissue box into this room!!
Whoever did that is a champion, that would have been such a big help for that child to receive that letter (and for the mum too)

I, too, am typing through tears..... what a wonderful story - thank you so very much for sharing. It is so nice to know that there are still WONDERFUL people like that still out there. What am amazing story....

What a lovely story. It is so wonderful that someone thought to do something so special.
J.

That is one of the sweetest stories I have ever heard. My girls are always asking if they will see our pets in Heaven. I told them that God gave us these wonderful creatures that bring us so much joy of course He would have them waiting for us in Heaven too :flwr: Thanks for sharing.

Back