PDA

View Full Version : confused about feeding a puppy adult food..

Lisa_T
2nd December 2006, 01:44 AM
AS advised on various places here, I've been feeding Amber the same organic hypoallergenic dry food that Holly gets, with additions of fresh food- beans, celery, a little chicken, treats etc.

Then I followed one of Pat B's links from Cavalier Connection re keeping good heart health in Cavs, and find this:
http://www.dogaware.com/dogfeeding.html

The section in question is about large breeds, but it relates specifically to breeds which can be prone to hip displaysia (sp) which includes Cavs, if I remember rightly. This says you *should* feed a puppy formulation! Aggh.

And there's more contradictions to what I've already read further down! I'm starting to think dog feeding is as controversial as human!!

Roxanne
2nd December 2006, 02:02 AM
YOU ARE RIGHT ! :lol: But ..... there is no need to feed a puppy food if you are feeding a good quality all stage food ;)

Lisa_T
2nd December 2006, 02:06 AM
It's not an all stage food- at least, I don't remember seeing stuff about puppy or senior formulations. Of course, some of this stuff says you shouldn't feed senior stuff either. Thankfully I don't need to worry about that yet. Then something else said not to feed anything with too much salt- which I thought made sense- only to read that feeding salt to dogs with a genetic predisposition to heart problems isn't actually a bad thing.

I need a nice violent smiley...

Cathy Moon
2nd December 2006, 01:36 PM
Thanks for posting the link, it has lots of good information. I added it to my bookmarks! :thnku: