• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Our first cavalier

PamH

My husband and I went to see a little girl at the local breeders today.
She had two little girls and could not decide which she wanted to keep to show. They are both 12 weeks. She asked us if we would be willing to do a co-ownership and at 6 months we could all decide if she was show material or not and if she was the breeder would be able to show her.
We would also agree to breed her once if she was show material and we would split the litter.
Does this all sound okay?
Pam

:shock: Nope!
There is an article about this somewhere on the board - I'm sure one of the Moderators will be kind enough to point you in the right direction.

:flwr:

I agree. I'm not a breeder - though there are some who are active on the board and they will probably give you some opinions as well.

I'd ask yourself - do you want to get into breeding and showing? Is that a goal of yours? If so, the breeder's offer sounds like it might be a great opportunity to get started with a knowledgeable mentor.

If however, you are like most people and are just looking for a family pet and companion, then I would ask for straight ownership and get your baby spayed for the sake of her long term health. If this breeder can't offer you a full "pet" ownership of one of her puppies, then I'd keep looking for another responsible breeder. It may take some time but you will find one and when you do you won't have to worry about how much you'll miss her when she's out being shown or having the puppies if she has to go back and stay at the breeder's or something.

As Claire said, there was a post about this before and maybe someone will be able to provide you a link to it. Good Luck!! :flwr:

I am not a breeder myself but from talking to breeders that I know if you were to share and co-own a dog you better get something in writing from a lawyer Every breeder I know that co-owns dogs has contracts drawn up from a lawyer about who get to keep the dog, what happens to the puppies, etc If this is serious then youll want to make sure you get it in writing otherwise you might end up without a dog and pups!

There is a breeder here, who used to be a well known and respected breeder. She never shows any more, and has set up other women to become breeders. She's willing to do it for anyone, she GIVES you the puppy, or even a mature breedable girl, then you have to breed them and I believe she keeps all or most of the puppies and gives you one. I call it a puppy pyramid. She has a lot of these deals going on, because I've heard of a few so that is the tip of the iceberg. These poor people don't know what to do and many agree. In CA , my niece swears that the only way to get a Portugese Water dog is with a show contract. Seemingly they are all show quality which I doubt.

Thanks everyone. There is a contract. I have not seen it yet, but will definitely read it carefully. I would not want to lose her due to pregnancy problems.
Pam

I would be very wary of this. There's lots that can go wrong when you're breeding. We have never lost a mom, but we know people who have. But we have lost a complete litter; just read about Isis in my "Five months..." journal titled "And Sometimes We Have Bad Luck". That was extremely heartbreaking for us and something I wouldn't wish on anyone. And even worse is when you loose a puppy after it's been born.

Kris and I have talked a couple times about what we would say to a newcomer who wanted to breed a dog we had raised. First off, we would get them into showing; I think most of the people who have been on this board a while know how I feel about that. Secondly, for the good of the mom, we would require that the mom be kept with us from maybe a month before the due date until the puppies go to their new home. While we could never gaurantee we could fix any problems that come up, we do know more about welping and raising puppies than someone who has never done it.

Please think long and hard before you agree to breeding your girl.

Unless I was a close friend of the breeder, I wouldn't want to do this. Do you want to and can you give up the time to raise a litter or are you willing to let your dog go back to the breeer for up to 8 weeks to have the puppies ? What happens at the 6 month stage ? Are all vets' bills going to be halved ?

You could buy the dog, so it's yours, but allow the breeder to show your dog, with her affix.

i have to agree with all above ....plus i have seen a few good friendships end in tears over such matters .....

If you are looking for a pet then I would just say no - I would rather have my furbabies to myself then having to let someone take them everytime for a show.

PamH said:
My husband and I went to see a little girl at the local breeders today.
She had two little girls and could not decide which she wanted to keep to show. They are both 12 weeks. She asked us if we would be willing to do a co-ownership and at 6 months we could all decide if she was show material or not and if she was the breeder would be able to show her.
We would also agree to breed her once if she was show material and we would split the litter.
Does this all sound okay?
Pam

can i just ask is the breeder asking full price for this puppy ?
just curious

Thank you all so much! We told the breeder we had second thoughts about agreeing to the contract and that we would understand if she did not want to sell us her puppy. We told her we were still interested if it was a pet sale. We explained that we had not really understood. She said she would call us back after speaking to her husband. She was disappointed as this was the last puppy of the last litter the mother was going to have. But she did agree! Yay!
My husband is picking her up tomorrow night.
Pam

OH Pam!! I am so happy for you & you get to have the puppy as a pet without the worries of showing and breeding.

Yay!!! Can't wait to see pics!!!

Pam - I am glad to hear that you are getting your puppy with no strings attached. Congratulations.

pam i am really pleased for you ....i asked as i have heard of this arrangement many times but normally the pup is at a very reduced price and in Co ownership arrangemements most are half price or free BUT to have a puppy back etc on breeding terms

too complicated for me icon_whistling

inca said:
pam i am really pleased for you ....i asked as i have heard of this arrangement many times but normally the pup is at a very reduced price and in Co ownership arrangemements most are half price or free BUT to have a puppy back etc on breeding terms
icon_whistling

I do believe we paid top of the market, so there was definitely no financial discount. I am so happy that we don't have to worry about her having health problems during pregnancy etc.
Pam

Back