• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Abby is sick!!!

G

Gillian

I had posted on the General column that Abby was acting weird, barking at nothing etc. She had also refused to eat her food straight away, which she had done later.
Well this morning she woke up and didnt want to get out of her crate. then when she did get out she refused to eat and went and did her poo. Half normal poos and some diarehea with blood and mucos in it.
I took her to the vet immediately, we waited 5 hours in the waiting room. A nightmare, as you can imagine. :sl*p: . The vet told me that she didnt know what was wrong and that she may have eaten a bug or something like that , she gave her four injections. One antibiotic, one Vitamin B12 and the other two something to do with the blood and diarehea.
She also gave me pills to give her three times a day and I am to phone her on Wed to let her know how she is doing.
Anyone out there know anything about these syptoms!!!

Did the vet do a fecal test? If she didn't tell you, check to see if it's listed on the bill.
What's the name of the pill? Flagyl?
If she ran all the tests and everything came back negative, it could be that Abby ate something weird. If she starts straining to poop, I'd bring her back to the vet's to make sure she doesn't have a blockage.

Fingers crossed for you and Abby.

Thanks for reply.
The Vet didnt do any tests at all except ,temperature and feeling her tummy, looking in ears and mouth.
She is very lethergic and has been asleep for three hours since I brought her home.
She has only drank a little water this morning.
But vet did say she is not dehydrated. Maybe I will give her some water with a syringe if she doesnt want to drink.

I hope abby is better soon. What a wiat-%hours. is that normal there or was there no space in the appointment system ? Our now retired vet had a come and wait system , but I never waited more than an hour. With the replacement company, you even get too go in early.

It is getting ridiculous. She is supposed to be the best vet on the Island but I cant help but think that anyone who works such long hours without a break cant be at their best.
She has a come and wait system and she also does surgery inbetween seeing patients. I am going to have to find another Vet as I cant go through that again.
Abby has eaten some of her food this evening and had a little drink of water. Even wanted to play fetch for a little so I hope she is on the mend .
Now she is back asleep but thats quite normal for this time of the evening.
Thanks for your concern.

Hmmm...when my guys have runny stools for more than a day or two, the first thing my vet does is run a fecal on them. Maybe it's overkill and I'm getting ripped off.

What did she inject? Is it listed on the bill?

Eating, drinking along with peeing and pooping are all good signs.

I was brought up in the states and used to all the tests that they do. Here in Malta they only do tests if they really suspect something serious. I am not sure if that is good or not.
But this morning Abby ate all her food and has not pooped at all. Hope she is not constipated :badgrin:
I will just keep an eye on her and report to the vet by phone on Wed as she told me too. I guess we are in their hands.
No listings on the bill. Just a receipt.
thanks for concern.
Gillian

Gillian Woody was like the other month, not eating, really runny poo (sorry to say that it started spraying out) and not feeling his best - vet felt he had just eaten something that upset his stomach - was told to sarve him 24 hours then feed the sensitive biscuits we used when we have had the same with the other dogs - after the 24hours he ate the biscuits and poo firmed up - he had two more meal of these biscuits before he turned his nose up and wanted his normal biscuits.... I hope Abby improves throughout the day.

Back