• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Scariest Day Ever

Gingers Mommy

I posted this as a reply earlier but wanted to share with everyone.
Yesterday I went out on my way to a 'howliday' party with Ginger. She was in her bag and practically falling asleep in the elevator on our way downstairs. I was at the corner waiting to hail a cab, of course Ginger on one arm in her bag, my bag with all my goodies for the party on the other arm.
I also saw the feather flying around on the street from the corner of my eye, but controlled my impulses to jump after it. Unfortunatly, Ginger did not. She literally jumped out of the bag and onto the street into oncoming traffic. By some Miracle there was a lull in traffic and only one car driving down the street....slowly thank gd thanks to the 2 girls passing who started screaming for me. I ran out after her and chased her till I got hold of the leash and shakily walked back to the sidewalk.
Ginger was totally and completly unaffected. She didnt even realize what had just happend. I on the other hand, could barely move except for the shaking that my body was doing. Ive never felt that way in my life and I hope to NEVER again.
Be careful with the puppies in the bags, this was a bag that her head could stick out of the top of it.
Every time I close my eyes I see that cab coming and its really awful. My fingers are still red and sore from my hand scraping against the tar while grabbing at the leash and I just thank gd for the miracle that we were both unharmed.
I know from other posts that this thing happens all to often and I dont know what I would do if ginger was harmed. As is i feel like an awful parent and a terrible dog owner. At the party I was thinking about the other pups that came in a bag with their owners, and when they popped out of the bag they didnt have their leashes on....what would i have done if I didnt have a leash 4 ft out to reach out for her. She would've just kept going for the next leaf or feather I assume.
Thanks for reading this. I hope no one ever feels the way that I did, although I have a bad feeling more people out there do then don't.

Barney is to big for a bag but one day getting out of the car he saw a leaf and off he shot in to the middle of the road so I know how you feel---Aileen

It was to prevent precisely this that I used the ventilation holes in my puppy bag to feed not one but two leads through and then clip them onto the puppia. The other end of the leads were secured to me (literally) and I made sure they weren't too long. If she'd gotten out she wouldn't have impacted the ground, and I would be able to grab her before too much weight was placed on the puppia. You have my sympathy; if you have a lively pup it's something that could happen so easily. Thank goodness Ginger was unharmed!

I'd invest in a bag that *doesn't* allow the head to poke out. I find that as long as I'm actually moving, Amber will usually settle down inside the bag itself and go for a snooze.

Estee, I'm so happy things turned out all right for you and Ginger. I was in a panic just reading your post. They can get away from you so quickly. I had my "cobbler" (shoe repair store) put two little rings on the inside of my bag on a reinforced strip near where their head goes. He made two short straps for me to hook to the collar along with the regular lead. It keeps them from being able to jump out. So far, it's done the trick.

JaneB

Estee - my heart was racing reading this. How incredibly scary for you. I think I would have just passed out when it was all over. Thank God (and surely there was someone watching out for you!) she's okay. Oh my...just thinking about it upsets me. Whew!! When I have my pups in their stroller I have their leashes wrapped around the handles and clipped back onto them. I can just see Shelby pulling a stunt like this if she sees a bird!

Duncan got out once when we were having a party. I didn't know that my husband had let him out to play with the guests and as someone else arrived he darted out the front door. All rules of not chasing at them so they don't think you are playing flew out of my head as you can imagine and about 10 of us went tearing through the neighborhood. Literally stopping traffic :yikes (My husband almost got hit to prevent them from hitting Duncan). He didn't make it out of the neighborhood and out to the main road but now he is put on his leash when the door bell rings before it is opened or put him in his crate. Scariest moments I can remember.

It happens to all of us...thank GOD Ginger is ok...you are not a bad mom.

Thanks everyone. It helps to know im not the only one although I wouldnt have wished those feelings on my worst enemy.
I have fear now each time I leave the house. It was very windy this morning when I took ginger out and she was chasing everything that moved. Now im starting to worry what if her leash comes undone from her harness .... but Im holding it SUPER tight and trying to keep her focused. Any good ideas for having her more attentive to me while we are walking instead of the garbage, leaves, birds etc flying around on the street?

Sorry that happened to you I'm just now catching up with this thread.. :hug:

Don't for one minute think that you're a bad mom. Things happen, that's called life. You can't blame yourself, you can just go on with more knowledge of what not to do next time. You're a wonderful mom..@!

Kosmo is now almost 11 months old (he's almost 1!!!) and he's still chasing all flying feathers, leaves, etc. The only way I can get him to pay attention to me is to say 'LEAVE IT!' in which case he looks at me with disapproval or 'COOKIE?' which he'll leave ANYTHING for. If I gave him a cookie everytime he chased something though he'd be rolling around instead of walking. Maybe others have more suggestions, but at the end of the day I am glad everything worked out for you and your little ginger. *hugZ*!*

This happened to me just yesterday, so I definitely can relate. I really would have freaked if it had been in NYC. Lily ran out of the door before I had her leash on, down my deck steps, which there are about 16 steps, and she has never been down the steps before, I have been carrying her down. That's why the leash wasn't hooked yet. She'll stop at the top of the stairs and wait for me to hook her. Not today. She took off like a bat out of he!!. She ran to the front yard, and I was panicking. We live on a cul-de-sac, and there is hardly ever any cars. Well, don't you know a car was coming. Every time I got close, she would take off. I didn't want to chase her, because every time I did she would run. So, I was pleading, begging, offering treats, asking her "where's daddy" anything to coax her. I finally grabbed her and she rolled over on her back like she does when she knows she is in trouble. I was so mad at her and stressed, that I put her in her crate, and we both took a nap. I just couldn't get the thought of her getting hit by a car out of my head. This little thing that I watch like a hawk. It really horrified me. Who knew she was going to go down all those steps, when she has never even attempted it before.

I think at some point we will all go through something like this. Shelby's was being off leash (never again!) at a park (non-fenced) and flying across a road to get the birds. My heart was in my throat. Scared me to death. Definitely not a reflection on you as a puppy parent!!! Just so glad they are okay.

I agree with Cathy. This kind of thing has happened to many of us. Gem used to bolt out the front door any chance she got. We have worked really hard on the "wait" command at the door and she hasn't bolted in a very long time. I was taking care of my parents' dog when both my parents were in separate hospitals. He bolted out the front door. I was in my pj's and bare foot. I grabbed some boat shoes and ran after him. He ran out of our cul-de-sac into a neighboring cul-de-sac where I was able to catch him. I tell you, I looked pretty weird in my pj's and boat shoes carrying a wiggly naughty run away. I would never have forgiven myself if something had happened to either Gem or Cooper.
J.

{{{{{{{{Estee}}}}}}}} {{{{{{{{Shay}}}}}}}} I agree with some of the others, most of us have, at one time or another had an escaping doggie. Really freaks you out and it's always the moment that the most obedient baby becomes totally 'deaf' too :roll:

Glad you both got your babies back safely again - just be thankful that the angels were watching :flwr:

Estee- your story was top of my mind when I was chasing this beagle yesterday!!! I kept thinking...someone owns this dogs, someone loves this dog. If situations were reversed...someone has to help! There was a lovely young man who saw me driving down the street with my head out the car frantically calling "puppy puppy puppy". He came all the way down to call out to see if I needed help.

Back