• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Treating my Dog like my Husband

Moviedust

Scene: Sunday afternoon. It is cool outside, so DH and I are warming ourselves along with the dogs near the fire.

DH is standing infront of the fire to warm his backside after coming in from below freezing temps outside. He casually puts his hands back onto the (broken) fireplace screen. Somehow, he manages to cut both of his thumbs on the broken screen. He exclaims in pain and shows me his bleeding, cut thumbs as he rushes to the bathroom to rinse the blood and find bandages. I look at his thumbs, make a face and say, "that must hurt" and then go back to my laptop without a second thought as he leaves the room.

Fast forward an hour or two.

I'm sitting in a recliner --still by the fire-- and Cedar takes a jump to get on my lap. She misses and gets hung up on the metal recliner leg supports. After a second of scrambling as I try to pull her up, she settles in next to me. My mind is paranoid that she cut herself on the metal supports because I didnt look her over. I hadnt wanted to make a big deal of the accident so as not to create more fear for her. So here I sit, upset that she could be hurt, even though there's no sign of any cuts or even bruises. She didnt even yelp (and she yelps for any tiny amount of discomfort).

I look up to say something to DH, who is sat across from me, when his two bandaged thumbs come into view. The irony over takes me: I'm panicking about the dog, who isnt really hurt, while I hardly even acknowledged the two bleeding thumbs my husband had just a few hours earlier.

I chuckled to myself as I relaxed about the dog. Lightened, I mentioned to my husband the realization I just had. Wasnt it great that I was learning to react to the dogs as rationally as I reacted to my husband?

his response:

Why dont you react to your husband like you do the dogs?!

:|

if i cut my thumbs and they were bleeding, and my husband (which i don't presently have) seemed inadequately sympathetic and concerned, i would feel neglected.

One thing i like about dogs is, if you get hurt, they act concerned. :d*g:
tell DH to go tell it to the dog. :roll:

that is interesting, the different feelings for the dog compared to the hubby. I've had similar flashes about my daughter, for example when i learn that they are cominig for a visit, i express spontaneous joy that i will get to see Belle, their cav, and i have considered that my daughter probably notices i'm not expressing joy about seeing her--even though i'm happy that i'll see her too. And come to think of it, i think she's even mentioned that I'm more attentive to Zack than i ever was to her--which really isn't true, but i can see how she would think so. But now that she's an adult, it's certainly true.

Hey, i'm sure you love your husband but he is a grown man. It's not unusual to react differently to an adult who gets hurt then to an animal or child who may not be able to help themselves or know what happened. Don't feel to badly about your reaction to Hubby, i think these doggies feel as if we are their caretakers/parent and i'm pretty sure your husband doesn't think of you that way. (well within reason ;) ) Anyway, my other half also thinks i am too attentive to Riley. Maybe it's because they don't know what it feels like to have something totally reliant upon you in every way. I don't know, perhaps it's just a slight jealousy/feeling neglected thing that partners go through. You're not alone on this one.

Thats a great read, had a good chuckle as I can relate.
I think it is mainly (apart from the absolute adoration we have of our cavalier babies) that you know your husband can fend for himself where as the dog can't. Just my theory.

Oh you had my laughing with that one!! That is so how it is at my house. Hubby sliced his finger with the clippers the other day. I bandanged him up and sent him on his way. Jake looked like he might possibly throw up and I obsessed over him all night. Oh well, hubby knows I love him, right?!

luvzcavs said:
Thats a great read, had a good chuckle as I can relate.
I think it is mainly (apart from the absolute adoration we have of our cavalier babies) that you know your husband can fend for himself where as the dog can't. Just my theory.

Too darned right! My hubby has learned to never, ever complain about the way I am with my babies. I am far worse with them than I ever was with the kids too. I always say it's because my boys never have tantrums,
ask for expensive stuff or answer me back :lol: Hubby says it's because they can all tell me what's wrong with them but the babies can't - he's getting wiser in his old age ;) :lol:

Is it just a woman with a dog thing - I would also be more worried about the dog then my hubby but then I think he would be more worried about the dogs then me...... evens out somewhat don't you think. icon_whistling

Back