• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Squirt gun

moniechris

Any advice for using a squirt gun for problem issues? (Barking, scratching the baby gate, stealing ornamants off the christmas tree etc) I just started using it with Cody, but I want to make sure that I am doing it correctly...Thanks~

Didn't work for us. After the 2nd time Jake decided he liked it and would try to catch the water :roll:

LOLOLOL!!!! :rotfl: That is halarious!! Cody hates it, which makes me feel guilty, but I guess it does its job!

My mum only used on cats.So guess it would work on dogs.If Alfie in one of his daft moods i find clapping hand works well,then saying No very firmly.Works on my daughter.Distraction it works.

I tried a spray water bottle because Tucker was damaging the screen on the porch door by scratching and pushing on it when he was ready to come in. Sometimes immediately after I'd just let him out. Though I don't think he liked the spray water it did not stop him from his objective. He's broken through the screen, made his own doggy flap! I gave up on the water bottle, all I ended up with was a wet dog and holes in the screen door.

As I've said in another thread, Teddy and my former trainer's wife's border collie, both thought a squirt of water was a great idea, so played up more. The springers I used to own would probably have found it a treat , too, as they often liked to stand under the torrent from a hosepipe.

I use a small container with a few coins in it. The trick is to drop it so the dog doesn't realise it's you. Very quickly showing the container or just naming it is sufficient. It should not be used if it frightens the dog, however.

We have a plastic water bottle filled with stones, and shake that to stop bad behavior.... it does work but you have to be consistant with it.

Back