PDA

View Full Version : Microchipping of dogs

flossie-spottie
6th December 2006, 03:49 PM
In Belgium where i live microchipping for dogs is obligated by law. Is this the same in other country's?
It is a wonderful system to rule out lost doggy's, or abondoned dogs. What do you think?

Cicero's Mummy
6th December 2006, 05:23 PM
To my knowledge... it is opional in the US to microchip (i wish it was a law), but manditory to licence... ect ect.

For dh and I, it is not even a question... it could cost and arm and a leg and I still am pretty sure we'd be getting it done!! I mean such a wonderful invention... hmmm wonder if they make a chip for lost husbands... lol!

And lots of places have leash laws, which are very smart in-my-opinion. Even in parks and such.

Bruce H
6th December 2006, 06:42 PM
No, in the U.S. chipping is not a requirement, but I wish it was. I feel strongly enough about microchipping that we chip all our puppies just before they go to their forever homes and the cost is included in the cost of our dogs.

Licensing is not required everywhere, usually just in the cities, I think. The city I live in (a suburb of Minneapolis) dropped the requirement for a license several years ago. I believe all they require now is a tag with owners name and address and a rabies tag. We talked to animal control about this once when she was doing our annual inspection and she said they found there was almost no benefit for a lot of cost to the City. As far as I know, we are the only city in the Minneapolis/St. Paul area that does not require a license.

Cicero's Mummy
6th December 2006, 06:45 PM
huh, that is interesting... I just assumed it was manditory everywhere...

Lol,

Well in Ohio (Columbus at least), you have to have a rabies and licence tag on your dog or you can be fined.

Rave

ps... I love the Min/St. Paul airport, It is like a shopping mall!

Karlin
7th December 2006, 01:19 AM
I've moved this thread as it was in Bruce's forum for his cavalier litters. It actually belongs over here in the General discussion section. Bruce's forum was specifically for discussing his litters. :thmbsup:

Roxanne
7th December 2006, 01:32 AM
I wish it were mandatory too ! All of mine are microchipped but I always worry that if they get lost the finder wont know enough to bring them in to be scanned .

flossie-spottie
8th December 2006, 09:28 AM
In Belgium every vet has a scanner to scan all of the dogs who come in. Every new puppy that comes from a breeder or is born at home must go to the vets to put a microchip on. Every vet you go or at the animalclinic from university will immediately look with the scanner for knowing the dogs name, owner, date of birth, name of breeder and origin...
A rabies tag is not obligated because every puppy who is chipped can only be chipped when he had all of his injections as a puppy and the vet will note in the computer...

kyla_QLD_cavalier_rescue
8th December 2006, 10:34 AM
In Australia, it is mandatory in some states, and not in others. However, to the best of my knowledge it is mandatory that all RESCUE dogs, nation wide MUST be microchipped pre new homes.

Whilst the idea behind microchipping is a great one, it hasnt always been a success over here. We have many cases of chips moving, and scanners missing them due to this fact.

Personally, I have my dogs done, but I only do it while they are under a GA, normally while being desexed or having a dental etc.

Kyla

coconut
8th December 2006, 12:02 PM
Not manditory here but when we got freddie he was chipped and it was included in the price of him!

Brill idea i think as i would hate to loss my little puppy! :)

Bruce H
8th December 2006, 12:06 PM
I have heard of the chips migrating, but I understand that is more a problem of chips years back. Supposedly, the more recent chips are not supposed to migrate as much. One of the keys to keep them migrating is to keep the dog quiet for 24 hours after insertion.

We have a reader, so we can check our puppies a couple days later (we have never had one move). And when we have people drop off dogs for dog-sitting, we will sometimes scan then too, but I think once the chip has "set", it won't move. Probably wouldn't be a bad idea to go back to your vet a few days later and have them scan to be sure everything is OK. We did once have a chip that was fine before the vet inserted it, but after insertion it wouldn't work. Had to insert another.

kyla_QLD_cavalier_rescue
8th December 2006, 01:01 PM
Hi Bruce_H :)

I couldnt help it but grin when I read your poste.

What your refering to as 'microchips of the past', maybe 'of the past' in the States, however down here in OZ, they are what we currently have.

We are nowhere near as advanced as you are in vet medicine, infact I believe you even have surgery options available for MVD in your country including valve replacement???

MVD in this country is virtually a death sentence, you sit back watch and wait while it kills. We dont have many, if any options. You practically need to sell your house to see a cardiologist, and thats just for the consult!

As for SM, If you took a group of twenty 'reputable' cav breeders in Australia and asked them what it was, id guarantee you that at least 15 of them would have no idea what you were even talking about.

SM screening in this country is in the thousands per doggie, and hence, the only stock in this country that is tested are our lovely UK and Sweed imports.

Fingers crossed we will catch up with you all soon though!

Oh and by the way, the fact you have your own chip scanner is mind boggling! They are so expensive here that not every vet practise even has one, many of them 'hire' them, and then, theres a fight for who gets em!

Kyla

bonniepirate
8th December 2006, 01:40 PM
I don't think it's mandatory in the UK either, we got ours done (I had to turn away, it was the only injection that made her yelp haha!).. I think if you want to insure your baby they like you to have it done.. and if you're applying for a pet passport 8)

moniechris
8th December 2006, 02:42 PM
In Florida I know for sure that it is neccissary for the dogs to have a current rabies tag that is registered through your county. If you are late you get these wonderful (sense the sarcasm) little delinquant notices in your mail that are blatantly obvious and for the world to see!!! I guess they do their job. What I like is that it cost $10 for the tag of a nuetered/spaid dog and $30 is they are not. It is more of an incentive for unresponsible people to fix their dogs. The operation would pay for itself after two years!!

If you adopt from a shelter then all of those dogs and cats are chipped before they can leave the shelter, which is excellent.

CavalierLover
8th December 2006, 03:49 PM
In NC it seems to depend on the county. We microchipped Bishop as soon as we could, but we don't have licenses and aren't required to have tags on him in our county according to our vet. In the county right next to us, they have a tax (license I suppose) per dog...also 10$, but 75$ if not spayed or neutered. Although, in verifying this, I did learn that NC law requires that dogs wear rabies tags at all times :oops: icon_whistling I did not know that!

Does that mean that all your dogs wear collars AND their harness? (Bishop wears nothing at home)

Cicero's Mummy
8th December 2006, 05:47 PM
My fil (the vet) ALWAYS scans stray dogs that are brought in by people. In about 75% of the cases they do have a chip or tag and are reunited.

Just the other day, they woke up to find 2 labs on thier back porch just camping out. Fil got out the scanner and by noon the doggies were back with thier owners...

SOOOO PRO-Microchipping!

Harley & Carley
10th December 2006, 01:37 PM
what age do you gt it done and how much (in the US) does it cost?

Bruce H
10th December 2006, 02:21 PM
We get puppies that we breed microchipped when they go for their checkup just before they go to their forever homes, around 11 weeks old or so. Never really paid much attention to what it costs, just a necessary part of the cost of breeding, but I think it's around $35 or so. A better question might be: how much would it cost if your dog got lost and there was no way to identify him? A little brutal, but that's the way we think about a lot of the things we do for our dogs.

Cicero's Mummy
10th December 2006, 02:49 PM
I would say that I have always seen it for around $35-$40, but there are some shelters that have "puppy events" where you can get it all done for $15-$20.

:)

Nicki
10th December 2006, 04:43 PM
It's optional in the UK too...

I did originally have all my dogs microchipped...but I won't have TedBear done as he has mod/severe Syringo, there is enough going on in that area without causing him any more problems :(

It's a tough one, I really do think that all dogs should have permanent ID, but tattoos can be altered...and I've heard of stories of dogs' ears being cut off to remove the tattoo :yikes ...so that only leave micro chipping.

I do have my chipped dog checked at least once per year at the vets.

What we need to encourage is that all vets check all newly registered dogs for chips, as that would pick up some of the lost/stolen dogs if the ID throws up a different owner...

Sadly not all dog wardens even have access to scanners, which seems crazy as they can be bought for under £100 here...

Maxxs_Mummy
10th December 2006, 05:51 PM
What we need to encourage is that all vets check all newly registered dogs for chips, as that would pick up some of the lost/stolen dogs if the ID throws up a different owner...

Couldn't agree more, Nicki. I know at our Vets surgery, any newly registered dog or rescue dog that goes in, gets scanned. I'm all for it too. I wouldn't be offended at all if someone scanned my dogs - i would be glad that they were trying to prevent dog theft :D

Sadly not all dog wardens even have access to scanners, which seems crazy as they can be bought for under £100 here...

Sad really as well as disgusting - I wonder how many stupid schemes the councils who refuse to supply scanners actually donate their funding too though :roll:

I am pleased to say that our dog warden has all the equipment she needs and has been doing the job for so many years now - a great dog she does too - she even runs the local greyhound rescue as well :D

judy
10th December 2006, 09:09 PM
...What we need to encourage is that all vets check all newly registered dogs for chips, as that would pick up some of the lost/stolen dogs if the ID throws up a different owner...

I think vets should scan the dogs of every new client. How else can microchipping work to its potential? When i got Zack, i went to two vet offices and one emergency hospital that had had no contact with me before and as far as i know, Zack was never scanned. Would they do it without telling me at the hospital being xrayed? i doubt it. but i dont know.

i think it should be routine to scan dogs that you see for the first time and confirm that their owners are the ones registered with the chip. Otherwise, microchipping is being grossly underutilized. If someone steals my dog, he's not likely to be seen by the animal control people, why would he be? but he may be seen by a vet.

I dont think any owner should be offended by this if the owner is new to the vet. If the vet has known the owner through other pets, i would say it would be up to the judgement of the vet based on their feeling about the person, but i dont think it would be that hard for a vet to scan the dog and explain that it's just routine policy to scan all new patients.

otherwise, how can microchipping be of any help except for in rescue and impound situations? Surely more dogs are lost and stolen that never come in contact with rescue organizations or the government than those who do.

i once used a trap provided by the animal shelter to catch a cat that was meowing loudly for food outside my bedroom window every day at 4 and 5am and would not be dissuaded, and i then took the cat to the no kill shelter where i had borrowed the trap, and they scanned her right there while i was standing there, and they said she had an owner who they telephoned right then while i was still there, but they didnt' reach anyone so i dont know what happened.

katc10
22nd March 2007, 12:29 AM
I wanted to do this for our dogs, but my BF is against the idea of implanting anything into people/animals, and I couldn't convince him otherwise, even with all the brochures telling why it's a good idea. Is there another option, what about the GPS things I have seen people talk about? How do they work?

Mom_of_2_Cavies
22nd March 2007, 01:13 AM
I am totally against the idea of implanting anything into people, but totally in favor of doing it for our animals! Someone who steals your pet is going to take their ID tags off of them, and the only way you are going to be able to prove that the dog is yours is if it has been chipped. This would be non-negotiable as far as I'm concerned, if my spouse were objecting.

I haven't heard about anything practical using GPS for dogs as yet--in fact, my vet made some remark about very recently to me about how microchipping is what we will do in the absence of any GPS system. We just had both our dogs chipped and it cost about $60 each. including registration fee.

I hadn't seen this thread before and was interested to read through it. Here in Mass., ALL dogs must be licensed with their towns, whether in the country, suburb or city, and you can't get a license without proof of current rabies shots. People who don't renew their dog licenses every year can be served with a warrant for their arrest! And it happens. So our dogs wear a town license tag with a number so the local police can get them home quickly if they are found, plus a rabies tag. The microchip, as far as I'm concerned, is for an eventuality where our dogs are found somewhere without their collars and tags.

Joanne M
22nd March 2007, 01:30 AM
The first question I asked about the micro chip was "Do you scan all dogs that come into your practice?" The Vet looked at me like it was a stupid question. I do not understand why vet's recommending this device do not scan all dogs when they are first presented for treatment. Seems a no-brainer to me.

Mom_of_2_Cavies
22nd March 2007, 01:45 AM
I agree, Joanne.

Chardonnay
22nd March 2007, 01:54 AM
Microchipping is optional in Canada, but most cities/muncipalities require licensing and certain vaccines.

I got Maggie spayed (she was 8 1/2 months old and expected to go into season anytime) and microchipped the day after we got her. The microchip cost $60 CDN, which is about $50-55 US. Well worth it if you ask me.

judy
22nd March 2007, 05:12 AM
I wanted to do this for our dogs, but my BF is against the idea of implanting anything into people/animals, and I couldn't convince him otherwise, even with all the brochures telling why it's a good idea. Is there another option..?

There is tattooing. There are some problems with it, but it's an alternative. One of the problems is, if you tattoo the ear, it's reported that thieves will cut the dog's ear off--they steal dogs to use for breeding. But a tattoo would be useful if your dog just gets out loose and someone finds the dog and wants to return it, or if the animal control people find it. Dogs are also tattooed on the abdomin, and other areas, such as inside the back leg. Your BF is not alone is being put off by implanting microchips and there are definitely people who use tattoos. Microchipping has not been around as long but it seems a lot more popular.

My dogs both got briefly lost today in a freak accident situation, they weren't wearing their tags. I was glad they were at least microchipped.

check these links
http://www.nationaldogregistry.com/tattoo.html
http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/pets/msg0109112024824.html?9

edit: links added

Lenee
22nd March 2007, 01:55 PM
While we are on the subject of microchipping, I have a question.

Our puppy Charlie wasn't microchipped when we got him. I was going to wait until we had him neutered and have him chipped then. Do you think I should just do it now? I know it's a little painful and I was trying to spare him that if I could.

Joanne M
22nd March 2007, 02:35 PM
Hi Lenee. Your Charlie is adorable. The vets around here recommend the microchip implant be done at the same time as the neuter. That is when Tucker was done. I saw the Chip and as someone else said it looks like a grain of rice, it's that small.

Cathy T
22nd March 2007, 03:47 PM
Both of mine were chipped when they were fixed. It's such a safe procedure that there was no thinking twice about it. My neighbor found a wandering dog. We took her to my vet's office, they scanned her and recovered her owner info. That evening she was back home. That just reinforced my decision.

Joanne M
22nd March 2007, 04:07 PM
You have a very good Vet Cathy. I wonder if all vets would say, sure bring the dog in and I'll scan it.

Laura&Lia
22nd March 2007, 04:29 PM
In Spain is mandatory! but is not compulsory to wear the rabbies tag on! :flwr:

Bruce H
22nd March 2007, 05:19 PM
While we are on the subject of microchipping, I have a question.

Our puppy Charlie wasn't microchipped when we got him. I was going to wait until we had him neutered and have him chipped then. Do you think I should just do it now? I know it's a little painful and I was trying to spare him that if I could.

We get all our puppies microchipped just before they leave for their forever homes. We have the vet put a little topical anesthetic on the injection site. Just before the chip is inserted, we let then chew on a piece of turkey or chicken breast to distract them. They usually cry a little when the chip is injected, but forget all about it in a few seconds.

Sydney
22nd March 2007, 06:22 PM
Sydney here,

We've both been micro chipped but here is a problem you should all be aware of especially if you are bringing your dog from Europe to the US. Is anyone else aware of this?

Mom and Dad picked me up in Ireland before I was micro chipped and once I got to Virginia I got my micro chip implanted so I am safe. Ruby on the other hand was micro chipped in Ireland and here is where the potential for tragedy occurs. Ruby's mircrochip cannot be read with a US scanner. It shows up on the screen as ISO and no other information was available, to include the micro chip number. Luckily the vet just happened to have a universal scanner and when he used it, it showed the microchip and the phone number for Animark, the registry in Ireland(?). Turns out microchips and microchip readers operate at different frequencies in Europe and the US. Microchips and microchip readers in Europe operate on 134.0 KHz while US microchips and readers operate at 125.0 KHz. While I think European scanners can read both chips, US scanners can only read US chips. Most US vets only have scanners that can read the US micro chip and there have been instances where dogs, like Ruby, who had been lost were picked up by Animal Control. Eventually the dog was euthanized because the shelter couldn't read the European chip and the owner could not be notified. There is a push to adopt the European standard here in the US, but the vendor for US chips is blocking the effort. Canada is slowly moving to the European standard and is way ahead of the US. If you are planning on bringing your dog from Europe to the US for a visit, be aware that this situation exists.

Bark On!

Ruby and Sydney in Virginia :paw:

Lenee
22nd March 2007, 08:40 PM
Thanks for the feedback everyone.

And I have also read about the problem with the different scanners being able to read the chips. I think there is a universal scanner that can be used world wide but few want to spend the money to upgrade. You need to check before travelling that the country you are visiting is able to read your pet's chip.

judy
22nd March 2007, 10:01 PM
Thanks for the feedback everyone.

And I have also read about the problem with the different scanners being able to read the chips. I think there is a universal scanner that can be used world wide but few want to spend the money to upgrade. You need to check before travelling that the country you are visiting is able to read your pet's chip.

When i was reading about pros and cons of chips v. tattoos, this was the thing that was said about mircochips, that they can only be picked up by the scanner of the company that made the chip and there are several companies who make them, including 2 or 3 large ones. I had read that the companies deliberately did this, this was a business competition choice, rather than to use the same scanner as other companies. The one i got was advertised as being compatitble with the main scanners. I'm glad to hear there's a universal scanner now, but i too have heard that this remains a problem. How disappointing that people would choose to design scanners that won't read chips of other companies.

the other problem with chips, to me, is that vets don't scan new patients routinely. So someone can steal your dog and just go on like it's their own dog, and no one will know. To me, that's a waste of potential for this technology.

Anyway, i don't know about Europe and elsewhere in the world, but in the US, it's a bigger problem than just not reading European chips. Scanners in the US can't even read American chips if it's the wrong company.

Laura&Lia
23rd March 2007, 12:50 AM
When Lia was Microchipped, she didn't cry. Not even a yelp.
Here the put a needle near of the ear and the put inside the microchip.
When she had the vaccines she cried a lot, but she didn't say nothing with the microchip.

And Lia is tatooed too. It was a requirement of the breeder. He said that he tatooes all the dogs he breeds (cavies and springers).

WoodHaven
23rd March 2007, 01:27 AM
I was told that universal readers read Home again and Avid. These are the two I've used-- It is the scanner that shelters and police stations have here. Sandy