• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Advice please!

coconut

Hi, i pick up my little man on sat and he is 9 wks old, we were with him all weekend and my h2b was there all day monday with him and he is very good when i am there! :)

Just need a bit of advise- i have the training pad and he will not go to the toilet on it, but will use the paper when he feels like it, it is touch and go :? when i am there i am trying my best to get him to go on it.
What i am asking is can anyone give me any pointer or tips? :)

At the moment we are leaving in an apartment with no garden so it is hard for pottie training :x , we are moving into our house with a garden in 2 wks and my ma is moving in with us, so there will be someone with him all the time then as my ma is in her 60's and does not go out much, apart from her sisters house and she leaves around the corner.

I have to leave him @ around 8 in the morning and my sister calls in a few times during the morning as we leave him in our sitting room with toys his bed and paper for his pottie (which he only uses sometimes), my ma takes him for 1 in the day til i get home from work at 5. this is all temp until we move into the house! is there anyway i can make his time alone abit better, i order a snuggle puppy are they any good??

I walked him on the lead and he is brilliant so proud of him, he is walking on it since day one!! :)

Oh and he is humping everything and trying to fight me all the time!

So sorry about the long post, would just love some info as i don't want him getting bad habits and he is my first puppy as any dog we had before we got them as dogs and not puppies!

Thanks
Aine

When everything settled down after the move, it sounds like your pup will have an ideal home environment!! Any dog would be jealous!

9 weeks is very young for a cavalier. Many breeders wont separate a pup from its mom at that age, so you'll need to be aware that right now, your pup is a lot like an infant. You'll want to make sure he feels safe and comfortable during all the stress of the move.

It sounds like, with the current situation, his time alone is very minimal. He's getting a lot of interaction with many caretakers. My advice, at this point, to make sure that all the care takers are on the same page as to the messages that are sent to the puppy. For example, it your sister lets the puppy eat tidbits of food she has but you do not want a puppy that begs and expects treats while you eat, you will be sending mixed signals, which will confuse the puppy and make training difficult. Another example could be how you respond to the puppy when he goes potty inside elsewhere than on his pad/paper. If your mom comforts him "oh poor baby couldnt make it to the pad" while you tell him "no" and place him on the pad, he learns two different things. Therefore, spend some time talking to your fiance, sister, and mom about your group strategy to raising this little guy. You will probably have to keep communication open during and after your move, as your strategies will need to change as the pup grows and as the situation changes (i.e. having a garden).

If all the people who help raise him all work together with the same messages, he is going to learn at lightning speed. He'll be with several different people almost 24 hours a day, all of them telling him the same way how to behave. Not many pups get that luxury, so you'll have a diamond angel if you can work together!!

thanks for the advice guys, i have printed off a good bit of info off the forum so i am going to go home this evening and read it all!

sorry guys i did not get to send a better reply earlier, freddie was a bit ill as i changed his food as i was told to do but it doesn't agree with is thumby, so we had to go to the vet i was a bag of nervous as he had diarrhoea wit blood in it and was sleeping so much, but vet checked him over and gave him injection and an antibotic - he didn't like the injection be he is alot better now! asleep on my knee while i am trying to type! :)

Your pup is adorable! He is very young and the blood in his stool could be worms. Has he been checked for them?

he is only after being wormed, vet was sure that it was the food, so i have to ring her tomorrow again and let her know how he is. he is great form now :)

Back