View Full Version : Pics added!!: HOMED: Urgent hospice foster/adopter
7th December 2006, 01:03 PM
I received a sad call this morning from the very kind people at the Roscommon SPCA who have worked with me to home a couple of cavaliers. The gentle and shy blenheim 6 year old who came into rescue (the one listed in online small ads) has a grade 5 heart murmur. This means I cannot home him to the home that had been intended.
Though his murmur is at this high stage, I don't believe he is yet coughing. His heart is enlarged however. With a mix of inexpensive heart drugs, he could live for months or years. Or he may have just a few weeks.
His situation places me in a difficult position of trying to make the best decision for this sweet cavalier who has not had the best life initially though as the vet and SPCA people note, was very well cared for more recently. They say he is a really lovely dog but are concerned about having him in kennels with damp outdoor runs at this time of year, given his condition.
They and I are hoping someone may wish to give this fellow a retirement home until his time comes.
The other choice is to let him go.
The vet guesses he probably has a short time and it would be ideal to give him a warm and caring home for that short while. Cavalier Rescue will cover his medications and vet costs.
So this is a very special urgent appeal for this fellow. :flwr: I will need to make a final decision by next week. :(
7th December 2006, 02:38 PM
Oh my gosh that is heart breaking!!! I wish you could ship him to the US because I have a perfect place on the foot of my bed for him :(
My heart goes out to this little guy and I really hope someone nearby will step up to the plate and take him in. Poor little love...
7th December 2006, 03:18 PM
I dont suppose you would ship him to the U K I would willing give him a home for what ever time this little guy has got left ----Aileen
7th December 2006, 10:33 PM
Can we share him Aileen? I put the same reply on the thread in Rescues earlier :lol:
I'd love to have him here with my two :lotsaluv:
7th December 2006, 10:48 PM
Yes we can if it is possible---Aileen
8th December 2006, 10:15 AM
I hope someone will give this cavalier a few more months of love and a warm home...
8th December 2006, 01:02 PM
I am looking at options, travelling costs about €100 and transport only goes to a set number of areas in the UK from Ireland, arriving on Saturday. I cannot sort him in time for this week so will have to be next week if he takes this option; am hoping someone in Ireland might take him on though as travel will be stressful for this dog and seas have been very rough at this time of year. Thanks for the offers and expressions of concern; I'll be keeping him posted here and also looking at the various options to decide what is best, and will be in touch with all. :)
8th December 2006, 02:24 PM
Today is the final transport day til after Christmas for my main transport option. I am checking on whether there would be alternatives.
If anyone on the Irish end could foster this fellow it would get him out of the kennels.
8th December 2006, 02:34 PM
Poor little guy. I so wish he was closer.
8th December 2006, 03:19 PM
I really don't know what to do. My heart goes out to this guy.
I have college tomorrow, and exams next week. I'll be on half days for most of next week to study. After that i'd be back to work full time.
I could help you out for a few days if it's any help at all.
8th December 2006, 04:05 PM
Thanks; even short term help from a couple of people would help. I'd like to keep him warm until I can make more permanent arrangments and am very reluctant to have to pts a dog who likely has some quality time ahead still. But as with all rescues I can only make decisions dependant on options available to me. Am hoping this fellow can either be kept warm and comfortable until he can travel or can be sorted out here. He needs to come out of kennels though and I will likely go get him this weekend.
8th December 2006, 09:55 PM
Hope all goes well for him - keep us up to date on him Karlin? I feel so sad for him all alone in a kennel :(
8th December 2006, 10:07 PM
He's in with lots of smallies. :) I spoke to Heidi who runs the kennels today and she said he has no signs of congestive heart failure -- he isn't coughing, showing no tiredness or weakness or breathlessness, etc. She says he is a bit on the thin side. She lets him out for runs with the quieter smallies rather than any of the larger dogs so he doesn't get buffeted around. She says he is just a lovely dog.
I am getting him on Sunday and Yvonne will foster while I sort out his next step. I've spoken to Aileen so he may go to her if he is OK to travel, as she has been waiting quite a while for a rescue cavalier as a permanent resident. :) He is on heart tabs already but I am going to have him vet checked by my vets and we'll see what they say. His tabs are almost out.
8th December 2006, 10:14 PM
That's good, I'm glad he's not alone. I think I worry too much about things out of my control :roll:
He sounds like just the sort of furry that my Maxx would love to be with so if Aileen can't take him for any reason then he can still come here for his forever home - for as long as it may be.
:hug:'s for him & a few pics please Karlin (when you collect him that is).
8th December 2006, 10:35 PM
Please I so want to see photos of the dog I wish I had wings---Aileen
8th December 2006, 10:38 PM
Aww how sad! I'd take him in without a thought but a)i probably live no where near you and b) i don't know what my parents would say but i hope you find him a good home for his retirement.
9th December 2006, 01:47 AM
If anyone is going from Dublin or any other port to the UK by ferry in the next while and could transport this fellow, please let me know. I will then try to sort transport to his final destination as needed but getting him over is the main issue.
9th December 2006, 12:53 PM
:cry*ing: This is so sad. Poor little guy..I'd love to have him but hubby sys NO!
We're going away in a few days so it wouldn't be fair to him to bring him home and then leave him all over again :cry*ing: I wish I wasn't going now...
I hope he gets someone to take him over Aileen :xfngr: it happens soon.
9th December 2006, 03:20 PM
I can get hom to Stranraer by ferry next Saturday with Cecily :flwr: but he needs trasport to down near Nottingham, if anyone can do any piece of a drive or hold him overnight perhaps on the journey south. I am hoping the UK side of rescues might be able to help out with trapsort but if anyone is in those segments of a drive please let Mattie's Mum (Aileen) amd me know!
9th December 2006, 05:32 PM
Karlin/Aileen i have sent a pm to you both i could help out :)
9th December 2006, 05:35 PM
We can even hold him overnight on the Saturday for pick up on Sunday if that's more convenient for anybody... We'll be staying in pet friendly accommodation between Stranraer and Glasgow, then returning to Stranraer for ferry home early Sunday afternoon.
10th December 2006, 11:56 PM
I've just spoken to Yvonne, who just collected this fellow. She says he is lovely! And also a smallish fellow, only about thr size of Holly, her cavalier; very thin (which Heidi at the kennels had said too). Very loving, he was a bit shy and scared at first but then was quickly up on the sofa with Yvonne and Holly. As soon as Holly jumped off he was right behind. Holly adores him and they went for an investigation of the back garden. She will get some pics, but won't be able to post until Tuesday when she is in the office.
She's taking him in for a bath so he will be glamorous for his travels. :)
He sounds like a great dog, Aileen. He's on enalapril right now. I am having him vet checked tomorrow so hopefully then we will have a better idea of his grade of murmur.
11th December 2006, 12:59 AM
Yvonne texted me some pics by MMS so here he is!!
Here he is with Holly who is a normal size cavalier so you can see he's a nice little guy. Very thin at the hips.
11th December 2006, 12:59 AM
If he's not coughing yet, that should be good news.
Many vets don't prescribe medication until symptoms are present. It's also good that he's not overweight.
If he needs meds., I would be pushing the vet to prescribe Vetmedin (Pimobendan) which appears to prolong the life of a dog with MVD considerably.
Just from experience, from onset of the cough, Declan was with me for 8 more months and loved life up until the very last. Aileen, you're doing a wonderful job taking this lad on and I'm sure he has many months/years of love to give you.
11th December 2006, 01:20 AM
He is such a handsome little guy!
11th December 2006, 01:23 AM
what a beautiful face. this thread has been moving to read. what's the boy's name? i bet if he could only talk, he'd have some stories to tell. what a life he must've had and his adventures now continue....
11th December 2006, 01:39 AM
He's a lovely little guy! What a sweet expression. :flwr:
11th December 2006, 01:54 AM
He's a lovely little guy! What a sweet expression. :flwr:
doesn't he have a look of innocence in his eyes?!
11th December 2006, 02:00 AM
I have been watching this thread like a hawk hoping to see pictures or hearing some sort of update...I am so happy that he is in good hands now. What a sweet expression he has! He has a lot more life and love to give, you can just see it in his eyes. He is in my thoughts....
11th December 2006, 02:58 AM
Oh he is tiny isn't he?! What a sweet little face!
11th December 2006, 04:36 AM
oh wow - look at those markings.. what an absolutely gorgeous boy!! I want him I want him!! icon_whistling
Aileen let us know how you get on - I'm so excited for you!! I know he couldn't ask for a better home!! :flwr:
11th December 2006, 08:21 AM
Awww hes so cute!!! Im sorry i cant take him!
11th December 2006, 10:27 AM
This made my day! I am so happy for this cute little cavalier! I am looking forward to hear how he is doing and to see some more pictures!
He deserves a wonderful live with a warm home!
11th December 2006, 10:41 AM
He's beautiful! Are you all sorted now in terms of transportation as if not i'm happy to help out Karlin
11th December 2006, 02:11 PM
Yes his transport is all set. :)
11th December 2006, 07:10 PM
Oh boy I cannot wait he will be sleeping anywere he wants when he comes he will have a new collar and lead with a I D and will have chirstmas present has well I will get the camera working to take loads of photo of him and Barney together as boxing day is Barneys birthday ----Aileen
11th December 2006, 08:32 PM
Just shout if you need a hand uploading your pics! have fun with your new arrrival :D
11th December 2006, 08:33 PM
He looks like a real sweetie :D
I can't wait to get a cuddle when I pick him up on Saturday. Do you thing Aileen would notice if I sent her on a cuddly toy instead and kept him for myself :lol: :lol:
Just kidding cause I know that could be fighting talk :badgrin:
11th December 2006, 09:46 PM
I've missed this as I lost internet access, though not email, after the last Windows update (techie son sorted it in minutes). Anyway, he's so like my Izzy. He has a very bad heart and is skeleton thin, but he's been on meds since developing a cough for just two years. He''s fine at the moment, as this cooler weather suits him. I hope this boy does as well.
Izzy was put on Fortekor when he started to cough and Vetmedin when he got breathless (The vet said it helped to oepn the 'tubes' ). He only got Frusicare when fluid built up in his tummy.
11th December 2006, 10:18 PM
I'll be talking to Finbar the vet tomorrow; Yvonne brought him to him today. Finbar said he was on the wrong tablets and hence was getting a lot of fluid; has put him on frusemide and another heart med which should help him a lot. Not sure why he is so thin but he's been wormed. His teeth are quite bad and may need some work but he will need a couple of weeks of being built up. Should not be neutered, Finbar confirmed, as the anaesthesia could be a risk.
12th December 2006, 12:23 AM
Izzy is very thin and Monty who has a medium symptom free murmur is also skinny. The vet who diagnosed a heart cough as opposed to kc (he'd been exposed to it) picked up on the thinness as a sign of mvd. I suppose the body uses up more energy to keep the heart working so fast.
12th December 2006, 03:20 AM
Yay for happy endings!
12th December 2006, 12:07 PM
The little guys name is Hammer. He's 6 and is extremely thin. Just needs a lot of tlc and i'm sure he'll be ok. Huge improvement this morning when i went down to himself and Holly. He was NEARLY as hyper as holly. New tablets are really kicking in. Such a sweet little guy. My house mate and myself are debating whether to sent Holly over on the boat on Saturday and keep Hammer :lol: He's just soooo sweet and makes holly look like a right spoiled little madam. (which she is). Hopefully some of his manners will rub off on Holly.
12th December 2006, 12:55 PM
oh, he sounds gorgeous.
I am quite surprised the vet didn't have him on frusemide already, if he was "fluidy".
You can actually hear excess fluid in the dog's panting, if you know what you're listening for.
Declan ended up on frusemide, Vetmedin (Pimobendan), Fortekor and Corventyl .... all of which made such a difference to his quality of life.
Cailean's currently on frusemide, Vetmedin and (since his scare in the summer) Corventyl to open up his airways.
Aileen, he sounds a complete sweetie. :)
12th December 2006, 02:13 PM
OK spoke to Finbar. I'd misheard a bit of what Yvonne said. :) Turns out Finbar, the vet is more concerned about his prostrate in the near term (eg coming year or two) than his heart!
He has strong signs of potential prostrate problems that Finbar says are typical of a dog used for stud. Hence he DOES need to be neutered -- I'd misunderstood Yvonne on this one. Finbar is not too concerned about aneasthesia risks -- thinks he will do fine as long as all are aware he does have hearrt issues. He has him on frusemide and Vetmedin and says he should be a transformed dog on this within a couple of weeks -- he should put on weight and feel a lot better and the strain on his heart will be lessened. He thinks he has a good life ahead of him as long as that prostrate is taken care of thru neutering. He says he would neuter him in a couple of weeks when he's had a chance to improve overall. However he indicated he didn't think he'd have any problems being neutered right away -- but no point in adding additional stress when he has a long journey ahead of him and hence suggests doing it after he has had a chance to settle into his new home. he does have a very strong murmur that Finbar would grade as a five but says there's no reason he shouldn't have some quality time ahead of him.
Well that certainly all came as a surprise! I am so glad this fellow came into rescue and had a proper full exam. Finbar is one of the best vets in Ireland, very well known surgery, so his advice would really be top notch and well-informed.
12th December 2006, 06:38 PM
With Izzy, both Frusicare and vetmedin gave results with in days for izzy, but he has never regained weight, despite being fed almost as much as big Monty.
12th December 2006, 11:38 PM
I have been told that some vets do Vit B12 injections every 3 months, and this can help the older dogs regain some weight...might be worth trying Barbara?
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.1 Copyright © 2015 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.