• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Pics added!!: HOMED: Urgent hospice foster/adopter

Karlin

Administrator
Staff member
I received a sad call this morning from the very kind people at the Roscommon SPCA who have worked with me to home a couple of cavaliers. The gentle and shy blenheim 6 year old who came into rescue (the one listed in online small ads) has a grade 5 heart murmur. This means I cannot home him to the home that had been intended.

Though his murmur is at this high stage, I don't believe he is yet coughing. His heart is enlarged however. With a mix of inexpensive heart drugs, he could live for months or years. Or he may have just a few weeks.

His situation places me in a difficult position of trying to make the best decision for this sweet cavalier who has not had the best life initially though as the vet and SPCA people note, was very well cared for more recently. They say he is a really lovely dog but are concerned about having him in kennels with damp outdoor runs at this time of year, given his condition.

They and I are hoping someone may wish to give this fellow a retirement home until his time comes.

The other choice is to let him go.

The vet guesses he probably has a short time and it would be ideal to give him a warm and caring home for that short while. Cavalier Rescue will cover his medications and vet costs.

So this is a very special urgent appeal for this fellow. :flwr: I will need to make a final decision by next week. :(

Oh my gosh that is heart breaking!!! I wish you could ship him to the US because I have a perfect place on the foot of my bed for him :(

My heart goes out to this little guy and I really hope someone nearby will step up to the plate and take him in. Poor little love...

I dont suppose you would ship him to the U K I would willing give him a home for what ever time this little guy has got left ----Aileen

Can we share him Aileen? I put the same reply on the thread in Rescues earlier :lol:

I'd love to have him here with my two :lotsaluv:

I am looking at options, travelling costs about €100 and transport only goes to a set number of areas in the UK from Ireland, arriving on Saturday. I cannot sort him in time for this week so will have to be next week if he takes this option; am hoping someone in Ireland might take him on though as travel will be stressful for this dog and seas have been very rough at this time of year. Thanks for the offers and expressions of concern; I'll be keeping him posted here and also looking at the various options to decide what is best, and will be in touch with all. :)

Today is the final transport day til after Christmas for my main transport option. I am checking on whether there would be alternatives.

If anyone on the Irish end could foster this fellow it would get him out of the kennels.

Hi Karlin.
I really don't know what to do. My heart goes out to this guy.
I have college tomorrow, and exams next week. I'll be on half days for most of next week to study. After that i'd be back to work full time.
I could help you out for a few days if it's any help at all.
Yvonne

Thanks; even short term help from a couple of people would help. I'd like to keep him warm until I can make more permanent arrangments and am very reluctant to have to pts a dog who likely has some quality time ahead still. But as with all rescues I can only make decisions dependant on options available to me. Am hoping this fellow can either be kept warm and comfortable until he can travel or can be sorted out here. He needs to come out of kennels though and I will likely go get him this weekend.

Hope all goes well for him - keep us up to date on him Karlin? I feel so sad for him all alone in a kennel :(

He's in with lots of smallies. :) I spoke to Heidi who runs the kennels today and she said he has no signs of congestive heart failure -- he isn't coughing, showing no tiredness or weakness or breathlessness, etc. She says he is a bit on the thin side. She lets him out for runs with the quieter smallies rather than any of the larger dogs so he doesn't get buffeted around. She says he is just a lovely dog.

I am getting him on Sunday and Yvonne will foster while I sort out his next step. I've spoken to Aileen so he may go to her if he is OK to travel, as she has been waiting quite a while for a rescue cavalier as a permanent resident. :) He is on heart tabs already but I am going to have him vet checked by my vets and we'll see what they say. His tabs are almost out.

That's good, I'm glad he's not alone. I think I worry too much about things out of my control :roll:

He sounds like just the sort of furry that my Maxx would love to be with so if Aileen can't take him for any reason then he can still come here for his forever home - for as long as it may be.

:hug:'s for him & a few pics please Karlin (when you collect him that is).

Re: Urgent hospice foster/adopter needed if possible

Aww how sad! I'd take him in without a thought but a)i probably live no where near you and b) i don't know what my parents would say but i hope you find him a good home for his retirement.

Kori

If anyone is going from Dublin or any other port to the UK by ferry in the next while and could transport this fellow, please let me know. I will then try to sort transport to his final destination as needed but getting him over is the main issue.

:cry*ing: This is so sad. Poor little guy..I'd love to have him but hubby sys NO!
We're going away in a few days so it wouldn't be fair to him to bring him home and then leave him all over again :cry*ing: I wish I wasn't going now...

I hope he gets someone to take him over Aileen :xfngr: it happens soon.

:flwr:

I can get hom to Stranraer by ferry next Saturday with Cecily :flwr: but he needs trasport to down near Nottingham, if anyone can do any piece of a drive or hold him overnight perhaps on the journey south. I am hoping the UK side of rescues might be able to help out with trapsort but if anyone is in those segments of a drive please let Mattie's Mum (Aileen) amd me know!

Back