• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Purina puppy food, any good?

*Pauline*

My breeder has my puppy on Purina small puppy (dry food). Is this any good? Don't hold back now!

I know if I want to change his food I have to do it gradually but I had to buy a huge bag of this food and so am wondering if I should use it up first or give it away after I weaned him off it starting soon.

Good food for my puppy is very important to me. I was thinking James wellbeloved would be better.

In my search for food for Wesley, I found a lot of people on here really like the Innova EVO. His breeder gave me a small bag of Eukanuba which I am trying to switch him to the Innova puppy food. But I heard puppy food is kind of a marketing scam and that you should give them the best adult food you can. Of course I found that after I had bought the bag of Innova puppy. So once I switch him to that, I'm going to start transitioning to the Innova EVO.

Oh, and I know nothing about the Purina puppy food. :)

We looked at purnia and i didn't think much to it i thought that it had a lot of fillers in it. And loads of ingredients .And as a lot of people feed james wellbeloved on this board decided that it was a better food with a higher meat content and fewer ingredients additives etc.
We put lady straight on to james welbeloved and she loves it we slowly took her off puppy predegree that breeder fed her over 5 days she loves the james wellbeloved and would pick bits out over the predegree. We also mix some chicken in with her tea so that she gets some variety. I also alternate lamb and rice with the duck and rice everyday which OH thinks it silly but i don't want her to have same food everyday! Sorry to be gross but her poo seems to be a lot firmer and less of it since she changed to james wellbeloved i think its because it has less cheap fillers.
Vet also thought that she was a good weight and said james wellbeloved was a good choice.

I started to feed purina to my cats and it seems alright. It has kept their weight down (I have a piggy of a cat who weighs more than my dog!!) I am sure there are much better alternatives, but I am not as picky with my cat food as I am with my dog food. Because cavaliers and shih tzus are prone to food and health issues, they only get the absolute best. Also, Purina has a lot of ingredients which my dogs are allergic to (mainly corn and soy).

Purina seems to have a lot of perservatives and by products, which I am not very impressed with. I got this from the website:

Ingredients:
Whole grain corn, chicken by-product meal, corn gluten meal, brewers rice, soybean meal, animal fat preserved with mixed-tocopherols (form of Vitamin E), pearled barley, calcium phosphate, fish oil, calcium carbonate, animal digest, salt, potassium chloride, L-Lysine monohydrochloride, choline chloride, zinc sulfate, Vitamin E supplement, DL-Methionine, zinc proteinate, ferrous sulfate, brewers dried yeast, manganese sulfate, manganese proteinate, added color (Red 40, Yellow 5, Blue 2), niacin, Vitamin A supplement, copper sulfate, calcium pantothenate, copper proteinate, garlic oil, pyridoxine hydrochloride, Vitamin B-12 supplement, thiamine mononitrate, Vitamin D-3 supplement, riboflavin supplement, calcium iodate, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of Vitamin K activity), folic acid, biotin, sodium selenite

My vet has my dogs on Pro Plan, which I think is made by Purina. I have never had a problem with upset tummies or anything like that. So when it comes to my dog's diets, if it ain't broke, don't fix it! :)

Actually , the Purino Pro plans are not that bad, and they now have a special Select one with no corn. A lot of puppies do well on either.

Bella's breeder had her on Eukanuba and on the advice of our vet and our puppy trainer we switched her onto James Wellbeloved. I am so impressed with this food. Bella loves it and it has a high rice content (not yucky cereal) and no colourings and things like that. She looks in fabulous condition and her coat shines in the sun. Her weight is also perfect for her age.

I liked it so much that I switched my two cats off Whiskas and onto the James Wellbeloved cat. They also now look in excellent condition and my tomcat lost some weight which I have been struggling to achieve with Whiskas for years.

Can't recommend James Wellbeloved enough!

I wouldnt use the Purina if you can avoid it. I wouldnt change his food right away; give him time to adjust to living with you first. Then slowly add the new food/reduce the old over a few weeks.

There's a list floating around somewhere from Whole Dog Journal. This list rates different dog foods. There's also information online about what to look for on a list of ingredients. If you do some searches on the boards, you'll probably find this info (Unless someone who has it bookmarked links it here!!).

I agree with Cindy in that you should stick with the food the breeder has your pup on for a while. Let your little guy adjust to the new place and people, then slowly change the food.

I'm also super picky about food for my puppy. After Coco lived with us for 3-4 weeks, I slowly changed her food to Innova Puppy. If those are the ingredients listed in moniechris' post, I wouldn't go with it for long-term use.

I've heard a lot of members in UK use James Wellbeloved and like it for their cavs. :flwr:

In my opinion, Purina is not the best of foods.

There are lots of wholesome natural foods out there that contain no by-products,preservatives,chemicals ect that will give you MUch better results ......your pets will smell better and poop volume will be MUCH smaller without all of the fillers that grocery store brands such as Purina and even Science Diet has . These foods also contain corn, which many dogs are allergic to . Do a research on healthy dog foods and read the labels .

I am very picky about what I feed my dogs , but they thrive on Raw and a very high quality holistic kibble . They never have doggie odor and their poops are small .

Back