PDA

View Full Version : SORTED: Dundalk pound:3 cav cross/**will be pts Wednesday**

Karlin
8th December 2006, 12:46 PM
Looks like a lovely fellow and apparently owners will not come get him. :( If anyone is interested in this dog please contact the person listed ON THIS LINK right away, but also contact ME to let me know what is happening):

http://petsireland.invisionzone.com/index.php?showtopic=44080

NB POUND DOGS ARE PUT DOWN AFTER FIVE DAYS SO THIS FELLOW HAS LIMITED TIME.

Lisa_T
8th December 2006, 02:47 PM
If noone else can get there in a hurry I can probably get the train down to Dundalk and pick him up for foster if need be.

Karlin
8th December 2006, 03:06 PM
Just an NB that I am not the rescue responsible for this dog and am also not sorting out a home for him -- any arrangements need to be made directly with the Dundalk pound rescuers and the dog then becomes the responsibility of the fosterer in arrangments with the rescue in Dundalk. :thmbsup:

I am posting a link should anyone want to help those volunteers or give this dog a home.

Karlin
8th December 2006, 03:10 PM
Two ckcs cross surrenders as well in same pound. Surrenders can be put down anytime within 24 hours:

http://petsireland.invisionzone.com/index.php?showtopic=44077
http://petsireland.invisionzone.com/index.php?showtopic=44078

moniechris
8th December 2006, 03:56 PM
Gosh the first two really look like cavaliers, and they all have the same longer snout...terrier mix? They are beautiful and I really hope that some one can save them :xfngr:

Lisa_T
8th December 2006, 07:10 PM
I've emailed to offer foster for the B/T girl.

Cicero's Mummy
8th December 2006, 07:15 PM
I get sooo sad when I see stories like this!

How can people let such wonderful doggies end up in situations like that!

If I were over there, I would snatch one up in a second! I always wanted to be a foster mommy!

Maxxs_Mummy
8th December 2006, 10:43 PM
I don't think I will ever understand humans as long as I live. All of these 'problems' could have been avoided by training and neutering/spaying.

Really upsets me :( Alison and I met a lovely B&T Cav X something else a couple of months ago and he was about 15. He was absolutely gorgeous and so friendly I could have brought him home with me - thankfully, his Daddy was with him and they completely adored each other :flwr: He looked just like an overgrown Cav :lol:

Karlin
9th December 2006, 07:25 PM
These surrenders will all be pts on Wednesday; if anyone can help to foster even for a few days til the Dundalk rescuers have kennel space, that would save some lives. Think they have rehoming options but mainly need 1) fosters; 2) donations to help cover kenneling costs.

People can designate help to go to the cavalier crosses. :)

Contact info here:

http://petsireland.invisionzone.com/index.php?showtopic=44113

They can take paypal donations if anyone wants to help these mixes; link at end of the post above.

Lisa_T
9th December 2006, 08:15 PM
I've emailed again offering to foster the B/T girl. However, my Christmas arrangements mean I can't foster her any longer than a week or so- if I can take the little girl on Monday, is there anyone northernish who can take over in ten days or so?

Also please note I understand that they will need someone to foster this girl into January, and as Karlin noted, she may be pregnant although I don't know if that's been confirmed. This is another reason why I don't feel able to offer longer term help as I have no experience with whelping or possible pregnancy complications.

There's another photo of this girl and her mate on
http://www.louthcoco.ie/index.aspx?deptid=33&dpageid=0_DOGS&recid=278

As you can see, she really does look like a B/T cav.

misty
11th December 2006, 12:18 PM
Karlin, I've pm'd you.

Lisa_T
11th December 2006, 02:07 PM
I have been in touch with Dundalk re Misty's offer if we can get these boys to England - assuming they still need it. I have also contacted the ferry line that runs between Belfast and Liverpool/Birkenhead to find out what the policy is for dogs travelling without humans. There is also a Dublin-Liverpool route, but frankly there's no real difference in travelling time on the ferry- about half an hour. I'm thinking that if everything works then we could put the dogs on the night ferry when they're more likely to sleep their way through. It would mean an early start for someone though since it docks at 6.30am in Birkenhead.

ETA: I've joined the petsireland forum so I can also pm the dundalk people there in order to ensure they get the email etc in time.

Karlin
11th December 2006, 02:15 PM
I don't think they will take animals without someone travelling with them -- in past rescue has always either sent someone over or had someone come over to accompany dogs going by ferry. If they are sent they will need all to be collected on Tuesday or Wednesday, fostered or taken straight over, crated properly as well -- just keep in mind the logisics of doing this, whoever gets involved in making any arrangements. :thmbsup:

Lisa_T
11th December 2006, 02:21 PM
That's why I contacted the ferry company- to find out what precisely is their policy re unattended dogs in transit and what's required. I stuck about three upper case 'urgents' on the subject header so hopefully they will respond asap. If not I'll have to phone but that can be difficult as I can't always hear on the phone, especially with thick Belfast accents- a shocking confession for a native of this city!

Like you say, I want to discover the precise logistics before getting in too deep. I can foster for a number of days and arrange for transport no bother, but at this time of year I can't risk having to hold the dogs for longer.

Karlin
11th December 2006, 02:56 PM
I just had confirmation that dogs need to be accompanied.

Please work directly with Dundalk rescuers and the UK network thru Dogpages on this one; anyone here who wants to help can PM Lisa.

Hammer is an ill, advanced-MVD dog and I do NOT want him under the stress of any additional dogs travelling with him so this needs to be an entirely independent set of arrangements please with a separate set of people as well. :thmbsup:

Lisa be aware that things can fall thru even at the last minute and you need to be able to make a firm commitment to give full backup to these dogs if you take them out -- or make firm arrangements with the Dundalk rescuers on what happens.

***Everyone needs to know what the plan B is and *there MUST be a plan B* or the dogs end up in the same situation they started out in or worse.***

The plan B is always the tough part of rescue -- :thmbsup:

Lisa_T
11th December 2006, 04:13 PM
I still haven't heard back from Dundalk re my email so.... you never know, it may all be academic anyway. Ideally if necessary I will take them to Stranraer on Friday since this weekend will be hectic- assuming I can get the tickets! Saturday would also work, although if it's Sat I need to know ASAP as my father then needs to be able to organise cover for me in the shop and he won't be best pleased about it. I'm working part time tues and wed- off thurs and fri- but a trip to Dundalk could be factored in with no trouble- I'll just work in the morning and be ready to go just after lunch.

I think I'll contact Seventh Heaven Animal Rescue up here- I've been in touch with them before- and see if they can help me arrange backup. I wish there were more NI people around! :roll:

Karlin
11th December 2006, 05:22 PM
Am told most of these need to come out today or tomorrow -- more dogs have come in. Don;t know the current situation with the crosses. I've posted that people here are tring to sort with UK rescue and for them please to get back to you to find out options.

Karlin
11th December 2006, 05:52 PM
May be able to get out and onto transport on We but need UK rescue to kick in to take them from there I think. Probably going to Holyhead from Dublin. More later.

misty
11th December 2006, 06:43 PM
May be able to get out and onto transport on We but need UK rescue to kick in to take them from there I think. Probably going to Holyhead from Dublin. More later.

:) :)

Ready and waiting! One dog's been reclaimed, one rehomed, so there's just Max to secure.

I'm liaising with Anne, who liases with the Dundalk pound. I've pm'd you the details. Fingers crossed that we're all winning :)

brid kenny
11th December 2006, 07:01 PM
God bless you all!! Can do a drive to Dundalk if necessary.

misty
11th December 2006, 07:17 PM
:D

We've done it :)

Thanks to everyone for all their hard work. The good news is, because we've got foster care for Max in England, the rescue doing the transportation from Ireland to England have been able to save another pound dog.

Lisa T's been an absolute star .... she was going to bring 2 dogs to Scotland herself if necessary. Amazing.

Lisa_T
11th December 2006, 07:38 PM
*g*

I'm so relieved that all of these are now sorted for. It was making me sick to think of dogs being put down, especially so near Christmas.

matties mum
11th December 2006, 09:12 PM
:) So very pleased that this has work out---Aileen

Karlin
11th December 2006, 09:43 PM
Anne does great work. She just confirmed to me that it is just the one now, as well -- I am just back in. If he goes on the ferry than he just needs to be managed to whatever UK rescue is going to take him in -- there are a couple of possibilities I understand.

This is great work for so many to have come together to organise options for these dogs. They don't often get CKCS mixes either, it is quite odd there were three at once in the same pound. :shock:

cecily
11th December 2006, 09:45 PM
Wow! That's fantastic news!!
Well done Karlin, Lisa and Misty for all you put into rescuing these lovely dogs :flwr: :flwr: :flwr:

Lisa... guess you won't be meeting us for a pint in the bar on the ferry after all!! ;) :lol:

misty
11th December 2006, 09:59 PM
Karlin, Maggie @ Mill Rescue is arranging the transport for several dogs and they are meeting people en route on their way back up to Lincolnshire.

NESSR will be meeting up with their transport somewhere en route, and then he's off into NESSR's care for foster.

Maggie @ Mill Rescue is happy with this, because it means space for one more pound dog at her place.

How wonderful that so many volunteers and different rescues have worked together to achieve this result today. :).

Karlin
11th December 2006, 10:13 PM
That's great; Maggie has volunteered to help rehome a cavalier before for me, on another of the Irish general welfare boards. :) I knew they were talking to her and assured them the dog would go into rescue via the board contacts you all have been making, and would only need transport so this sounds like it is all working out.

Barbara Nixon
12th December 2006, 12:36 AM
Maggie is very good. I did a homecheck for her and she's very thorough. She even arranged for me to meet up with the new mum, after the adoption, as she was having a few problems, being a first timer.

misty
12th December 2006, 10:24 AM
Maggie is very good. I did a homecheck for her and she's very thorough. She even arranged for me to meet up with the new mum, after the adoption, as she was having a few problems, being a first timer.

Maggie sounded lovely on the phone - what wonderful work she does.

misty
13th December 2006, 03:17 PM
Just an update. Max is OUT OF THE POUND :D

The weather has caused delays to the transport, but he is staying in a safe place tonight and will make his way over here tomorrow :).

misty
14th December 2006, 04:26 PM
Pleased to say Max is safely on his way to his foster home .... hoping he'll be home and cosy by about 8 tonight. I'll cross-post piccies from his foster mum when I get them.

He's a big cav X .... apparently springer sized, bless him.

Thanks to everyone :)

Claire
14th December 2006, 04:37 PM
That is such great news - well done everyone for all your hard work....

Lisa_T
14th December 2006, 04:40 PM
:jump:

That's sooo marvellous!

Karlin
14th December 2006, 09:18 PM
Great news. :) The work of everyone here meant that not only Max got out: because contacts on this board could take him in the UK, Ann was able to get a second dog out and on its way to a new life. So two for the price of one! :flwr:

Cav Xs don't come up very often so was surprised to see there were three at once in one pound and it's great see all three got out.

I will keep an eye and crosspost others here in future.

misty
15th December 2006, 03:08 AM
Max is with his foster mum :)

An accident on the motorway meant he didn't arrive til late, but he's settled. Will cross-post piccies tomorrow.

What can I say except thanks to everyone in Ireland and over here .... I think Max is the first dog NESSR has got across the water and we couldn't have done it without everyone's help and support in Ireland. The bonus was that the other 2 dogs were rehomed/reclaimed and that there was space with Maggie to save another life :)

So very many people helped with this rescue - too many to mention. What incredible teamwork amongst so many individuals and rescues.