• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Emergency eye op! Shocked

seren

I left the house this morning at 9am and returned 3 hours later to find my poor furbaby charlie yelping and running towards me with his eye out of the socket!! :shock:
No eye lid, upper or lower or eyelashes were visable so I rushed him to the vet who took him straight away to go under anestetic. So I was left to chat to the nurses. That was at 12.15 and I havent heard anything im feeling so sick I dont know how its happened. Im just sat in work (only two mins up the road from vets) and I cant wait for the call so I can pick him up for a cuddle and to make him feel better.
Does this thing happen?? Or is it a one off thing?? Ive never seen anything like it.

OMG!!! I am so sorry!! I have never heard of this either, hopefully someone can be more of a help. I just want to offer my prayers for you and your baby. I really hope he's going to be ok.

Oh poor you and poor Charlie; this must have been so distressing. I am glad you got home and got him to the vet so quickly. I have heard of this happening to dogs with shallow eye sockets and protruding eyes, like pugs. :shock: I haven;t heard of it with a cavalier but must have been similar. Hugs and let us know as soon as you hear anything.

OMG I hope he is okay the poor little baby - any idea if he did it around the house??? Let us know as soon as you hear anything...... please.

Oh my gosh....how awful!! So glad you weren't gone longer. Please let us know how he's doing.

Just called into the vets to get an update (couldnt wait for them to call me!) Had a breif chat with the nurse and she said he is doing okay is still coming round from the anestetic so they want to keep him in till later this evening for observation. His eye is stitched up and a button placed. Will have a chat with the vet later and also find out how this happened.

Will let you know what the vet says but what a shock poor little thing it looked horrible im just glad he isnt in bad pain now. Hes probably feeling just sleepy and dosy from the anestetic!
What a day!!
:sl*p:

Good to hear that he's doing okay. I wonder what in the world happened? Definitely keep us posted.

Oh my gosh--how scary! :shock: Poor Charlie--I'm glad to hear he's resting comfortably and on the mend. :)

OMG!!!!!!
:shock:
I dont even know what I would do to come home and find one of my pups like that~ Thanks to your quick thinking, hes going to be o.k.

Id really like to know what he got caught up on~ or how this happened so I can proof my house. Gosh, I dont even know what to say I feel so terrible for both of you....How tramatic.

Please know that you both are in our thoughts and prayers here and keep us updated...Ill be checking back frequently hoping all is well.

Poor little thing, wonder how that happened, hope he is better now.

Well done for acting so quickly.

Ohhh Seren and Charlie, we're sending lots of hugs to both of you! I'm so glad you were able to respond to the situation. :hug: :hug: :hug: Thank God he's ok.

I have been told that a hit on the head can knock a dog's eye out of the socket, especially if the eyes protrude at all, so I'm wondering if he fell off some furniture?

OMG, I'm trying to calm myself down after reading this!

Yeah, Im checking back every few minutes...My Kids are praying and even my husband who went to medical school keeps asking if we have had a response....Im so terribly worried for them, him and family. Please update us when you can, know that there are alot of people praying that all is O.K.

How scary! Brachycephalic dogs (dogs with short faces) are prone to this happening. Usually there is some type of traumatic accident, but it can be as mild as jumping off a bed! More trauma is needed for dogs with less pushed in faces. You'll probably never know what happened. Hopefully his eye will be OK!!! :(

oh dear--i'm so sorry. what a nightmare to find him like that! poor little guy. poor you. i hope you will be able to comfort him soon, and can get some peace yourself.

Seren -

Sorry to hear what happened to charlie!! What a nightmare for you. Thankfully he has such a loving mom that was so quick to act!! :) I am hoping for the best for you two! :)

Thank you very much for all your good wishes. Charlie is doing okay, picked him up yesterday at 7pm and the vet gave him a big dose of painkillers before we left so that he would be comfy during the night.
They managed to save his eye but cannot say if he will still have sight due to possible nerve damage, only time will tell.
He is on antibiotics twice a day and painkillers and also eye drops. Dogs have a third 'clear' eyelid so they have stiched that up over his eye to keep it in place while the swelling goes down, and there are two buttons keeping it in place. I will put a photo up tomorrow to show you. He slept well last night better than me! But he is very upset and wimpers and cannot get used to the lampshade thing he has on to stop him getting to the stiches.
The vet said he has a shallow eye socket and he may of fallen off the sofa or if he had something in his eye and he rubbed his face on the carpet to hard and pulled his skin back that may have caused his eye to come out, im just sooo glad I managed to get him to the vet quickly it must of been awful for him.
Thank you so much for your well wishes, I will give charlie a cuddle from everyone.
Bye for now xXx

Back