PDA

View Full Version : Fractured Tibia HELP!!!

Harvey
9th December 2006, 06:07 PM
I am so distraught and dont know what to do - My puppy Harvey was on the bed with me this morning for are morning cuddle, I got up to go to the bathroom leaving him still curled up on the bed. All of a sudden i heard a thud and Harvey started screaming!!! I ran to him he was holding his right back leg up - I straight away called our emergency vets trying to explain to the lady on the phone what had happened (not that she could really understand me through my crying on the phone) on her advice i rushed him to the Animal Hospital, they examined him and said they wanted to X-ray and that i had to leave him :(

They called two hours later to explain that he has fractured his tibia and needs to have a cast for a few weeks and that not to worry he should be fine and grow normally and that it was a fairly straight forward fracture.

I miss my baby so much i feel ill, i'm not allowed to collect him until Monday evening after he's seen the main vet.

Can anyone tell me about the cast he has to have?? Will he still be able to go to the toilet, walk etc etc

I have no idea how this will effect him for the next few weeks???????

:(

Charleen
9th December 2006, 06:12 PM
Oh - poor Harvey and poor you. I have had one or two frights with my puppy Jolly doing the same thing, but he didn't break a leg. :(

Karlin
9th December 2006, 06:47 PM
Sorry to hear this and glad he's OK.

This will probably be a few weeks of needing to give him mostly crate rest and keep him fairly confined. I'd guess this is going to be somewhat similar to patella surgery -- there are a few threads on what to expect regarding this in this section oif you search through them. You'll probably need to carry him out for potties for the first while. I'm sure some of our 'patella' people can tell you about their experience of a puppy in a cast and offer some help and advice. :thmbsup:

Generally keep in mind puppies don;t have the ability to jump easily up or down from anything like a kitten would nor the flexible limbs that can absorb shock-- so need to be watched if they are on any place that is raised up. This is a breed that will not like to be left alone and is likely to try and follow you and hence jump pff beds, chairs, sofas. Getting a special doggie steps would be a help as he grows. :)

Harvey
9th December 2006, 09:14 PM
Thank you for your kind words - makes his upset tummy problems seem not much of a problem.....

I cant wait to bring him home!!!! :luv:

coconut
9th December 2006, 09:15 PM
i hope harvey is feeling better soon

Cathy Moon
9th December 2006, 10:26 PM
Poor little man! :( Hope he feels better soon!

Hopefully we'll hear from JeanKC - their puppy fell off the bed and broke his leg. They had him in a puppy playpen for awhile when he had a cast.

My India had patella surgery, but didn't have a cast or even a bandage, so I'm not much help! We had to carry her outside to go potty, because there were steps involved. We kept her in a roomy crate and 30 inch tall x-pen for 9-11 weeks to protect her from injuring herself.

Cathy T
9th December 2006, 11:53 PM
Poor little Harvey...and poor you! I'm sure you felt horrible. Yes, KC, pipe in. And I'm drawing a complete blank but someone's hubby stepped on puppy and broke it's leg. While they were on vacation!! Everything turned out just fine. Just give him lots of love when you get him home :(

Joanne M
10th December 2006, 02:01 AM
I think I'll get some puppy steps. This thread is scaring me. Is it still a potential break at Tucker's age? 18 months? My bed is pretty high up, I keep a leather ottoman in my bedroom, I use it as a seat when I sit to blowdry my hair, put on makeup, etc. When it's not in use that way, I slide it along side my bed for Tucker to get up or down, however, if he's on the bed, while I'm getting ready and he wants down, he'll jump down and land on the floor, i'm guessing it's about 3 feet. Is that okay? Or could that kind of jump cause a broken limb? There's no carpeting, it's a hardwood floor he's landing on.

JeanKC
10th December 2006, 06:26 AM
It's a terrible feelling isn't it?

Elvis was in the playpen for maybe an hour or two when we first got home from the Doc. He hated THAT idea. He was in a very tightly wrapped splint instead of a 'proper' cast, but it really didn't slow him down much. He drug it around behind him and used the doggie door just like always. Obviously he didn't do any jumping, and was limited to some extent, but other than having to pick him up when he wanted to sit with us, we didn't have to accommodate him much. They make the best of it.

KC

JeanKC
10th December 2006, 06:35 AM
I think I'll get some puppy steps. This thread is scaring me. Is it still a potential break at Tucker's age? 18 months? My bed is pretty high up, I keep a leather ottoman in my bedroom, I use it as a seat when I sit to blowdry my hair, put on makeup, etc. When it's not in use that way, I slide it along side my bed for Tucker to get up or down, however, if he's on the bed, while I'm getting ready and he wants down, he'll jump down and land on the floor, i'm guessing it's about 3 feet. Is that okay? Or could that kind of jump cause a broken limb? There's no carpeting, it's a hardwood floor he's landing on.

Both elvis and Beau CAN jump off the bed (and have), but they use the steps. I think the wood floor is slick to begin with... and they've got hairy feet... so they don't really like jumping. When Elvis got hurt he was falling, and wasn't 'prepared'.

inca
10th December 2006, 09:44 AM
so sorry to hear about little harvey ...sending you both hugs and cuddles

Harvey
10th December 2006, 09:53 AM
Thank you JeanKC thats made me feel better to think that it might not bother him too much.

The night before he fell was the first night Harvey went ALL night without asking to go out to the toilet - I was so proud of him!!!

Last night i kept waking up thinking does he need the toilet and then realizing he wasnt there! This morning i called my cat Harvey haha

The sooner he's back the better i think, then i wont keep doing silly things!!!

I booked our first family holiday with Harvey for between Christmas and New Year for a few days in a Scandinavian Log Cabin in the forest - beautiful time of year to go there, its quiet and peaceful - but i'm guessing Harvey will not be able to go as thats only in 3 weeks?? :sl*p:

JeanKC
10th December 2006, 03:52 PM
As I recall, Elvis had his splint on for two weeks. The day after it came off, we went on a road trip with him and Beauregard. He limped for several days, but he got around. There was an obvious boo-boo on his pawpad that I think might've been a rub from the splint... and THAT contributed to the limp as well. It was several weeks before he was convinced he could jump on the couch by himself. It was interesting to observe him as he went through the process of deciding it was 'fixed.

Soooo.... I say take him and go.

KC

Maxxs_Mummy
10th December 2006, 07:00 PM
Oh poor little Harvey :( Big get well :hug:s and xxxxxx from me and my boys.

merlinsmum
10th December 2006, 07:41 PM
Poor Harvey.... sending him big :hug: s from me and the boys ;)

Harvey
10th December 2006, 08:14 PM
Counting down till i can bring Harvey home tomorrow!!!!

Thank you all for your kind words!!!

:thnku:

Claire
11th December 2006, 01:58 PM
Poor Harvey - good luck when you collect him tonight... let us know how he gets on.

inca
11th December 2006, 03:34 PM
hows harvey doing ?

Harvey
11th December 2006, 06:30 PM
Bless him he is making the most of it and hobbling around!

He's been outside to go to the toilet - i put a plastic bag over his plaster so as not to get it wet and dirty on the grass.

He is at the vets for his last injection and a quick check up on wednesday, then they want him back for a plaster change on friday - they said he will need a new plaster every week!

I just hope he heels real quick and can get back to doing what puppies do best and run around!

Cathy Moon
11th December 2006, 11:54 PM
:flwr: More hugs from us to little Harvey! :hug:

coconut
12th December 2006, 12:04 AM
hope he is feeling better soon!!

Charleen
12th December 2006, 12:16 AM
I am glad to hear that Harvey is home in your loving home. You must be so relieved to have him back.

Maggie's Mom
26th December 2006, 09:17 PM
My Maggie jump out of my arms the first day we had her. She suffered a Hairline fracture that healed well, but it was so sad to see her in the cast for 6 weeks. She had no pain and ran around all the time. I had to stop her from being active to allow bone to heal. She has had no problems since, but I cried for days.

moniechris
27th December 2006, 03:36 AM
Do we have any new updates on little Harvey? How did he handle all of the Christmas excitement?

Harvey
27th December 2006, 10:06 AM
:updte:
Harvey had a great christmas!

He is back at the animal hospital today for an x-ray they think that its healing so well he may be able to have the cast off and just a soft bandage put on!!!

I really hope so for him - they are going to call me later today to tell me whats happening!! :xfngr:

moniechris
27th December 2006, 03:30 PM
YAY Harvey!! I am so excited for him! I would be so worried about him with just a soft cast. I think I would get a stroller and carry him everywhere so he would never be out of my sight! You are such a good mommy to have been through this and back again. :flwr:

Harvey
27th December 2006, 08:24 PM
:updte:

:( Unfortunately Harvey has developed sores underneath his cast (like bed sores on humans) They have taken the cast off and put a soft bandage on but he has to have it changed every two days and take tablets everyday!!!

We had planned a special vacation leaving tomorrow to the country for new year in Scandinavian Log Cabins taking Harvey with us, the vet has said he cannot go and has to stay at the animal hospital for a few days as they want to keep an eye on him (they orginally said it would be ok to take him even in his cast) :(

They let me see him this afternoon but i had to leave him there - how can i have a happy family vacation without Harvey? - I'm going to be worrying about him the whole time - i did think about cancelling but my 8 & 5 year old little girls would be soo upset not to go!!!

Cathy T
28th December 2006, 02:00 AM
Oh no!!! How disheartening for you. But, you know what, he'll be fine at the vet's and get the care he needs so his owies can heal up without complications. You defintely needs to take your girls and have a nice time. Know that Harvey will be getting the care he needs and will be happy to see you when you get home. Best wishes!