• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Innoculations

mark70

We will pick up our pup at 12 weeks and she will have been holistically vaccinated by the breeder. We have been told this will be sufficient, but some kennels may refuse to look after her.

If we decide to have her vaccinated at the vets can this be done at 12 weeks and would she have to stay in until the course had been completed or can we rely on the holistic vaccinations?

Very few if any kennels will accept nosodes rather than vaccinations. Personally I wouldn't trust them either for a puppy or to replace the first year booster as there isn;t adequate evidence to my mind to show they protect against distemper or parvo which are usually lethal to puppies. This is my opinion but I will note that very few people would trust nosodes as an alternative to *never* having given basic vaccines. You will need to research this to find your own comfort level though as some do feel this is adequate. It is an area in which different people feel strongly.

I would at least recommend the first rounds of puppy vacc (the usual two rounds) and then the one year booster. After that I would be more comfortable with people taking the route they wish with a dog, as long as they know exactly what risks are present and know to titer and also know titers are not fully reliable as a measure of immunity.

You need to talk with your vet about this and perhaps with a holistic vet. I would not think it would stress a dog unduly to go thru with puppy vaccinations now and they can be done anytime, but that is just a guess and you need medical advice. Personally I would never home a rescue dog of any age without either having a recent vax record or vaccinating myself. I like to vaccinated then every three years -- but that too can cause an issue for some kennels even though it is widely accepted by vet schools as adequate.

Karlin

Thanks for the prompt reply. I think sub consiously we have made the decision to have the vaccinations. As soon as we bring the puppy home we will be having her checked by the vet and hopefully he can do the vaccinations soon after.

Great site thanks.

You'll need to keep her in while she goes through the series. But do read up on this and I know there are some who are very up on holistic approaches who may have a different perspective or guide you to further reading.

You should read through this; Dr Dodds is generally taken as the authority on minimal vaccination.

http://www.doglogic.com/vaccination.htm

Not all researchers or vets agree with this approach either but it is generally what I would follow -- vaxing every three years rather than doing titers.

You can have the initial double vaccine at any age beyond the minimum. I took in a 10 month-old stray and had a double for him, as the original owner, when traced, was unclear abot wat had been done.

People claim that nosides work because their dog had them and didn't catch a disease. However, I've never had chicken pox, despite being in close contact to it, so I could claim it's down to having Frosties for breakfast. Of course it's down to luck or natural immunity.

Barbara Nixon said:
so I could claim it's down to having Frosties for breakfast.

Tut tut, I am going to report you to Jamie Oliver for excessive sugar intake :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I agree with Karlin here. I think that the fisrt lots of vaccs and then the 1st yearly booster is enough. In fact, it's only now that Maxx is older that I feel happy in giving him nosodes. Charlie has had them as he is on immunosuppressants and can't be vaccinated.

Incidentally, I am a great believer in homoeopathy & have done lots of courses on it in the past.

Back