• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

6 month weigh in

nlg679

Hello!
Katydid is just cracking 10 pounds at six months...she seems small to me but then again, I might have forgotten how Teddy looked at this age.
Any experienced cavalier breeders or owners want to give me a prediction of how big she WILL get?
Thanks! :flwr:

Nancy
Teddy and sweet, little Katydid

at 5 month neutering zack was about 14 pounds and said to be average or midrange size for his age. he's gained about 2 pounds since then, he's now 14 months. I think this is average cavalier size so i think 10 pounds at 6 months is smallish. but i think they can vary a lot in their growth patterns. zack didn't gain any weight from 5 months til 10 months. i think that's supposed to be an age of growth, but not for him.

Healthy puppies, in normal weight, born in normal sized litters are usually half their mature weight at 3 months of age for girls (14 weeks or so) and 16 or 17 weeks of age for boys.

That's interesting. it's true for zack. At 16 weeks, he was 8 pounds. Now, at 14 months (full size?), he is 16 pounds. He had his last growth spurt at around a year old when he went from about 14.5 to 16.

that's a pretty cool formula.[/quote]

HaHa!! Cody could eat your puppies!! Cody weighs 16.6 pounds (and that was at 4 1/2 months icon_whistling Oh well, its just more of him to love :D

Kos was 10lbs @ 6 months too and now he's @ 14lbs @ 11 months and hasn't gained for about 2 months now :)

Hopefully that helps although I know they all grow differently!

My Wesley said:
What are growth plates?

i just looked it up on the web--growth plates are areas at the end of long bones that in youth are soft, this is where growing occurs, and when full size is reached they harden and stop growing. The hardening is called 'closing.' The process is influenced by hormones, and so, by neutering to the extent it changes hormonal levels.

here's something about it:
Some evidence suggests that early neutering may also predispose to endocrine disorders later in life (Panciera DL. J. Am. Vet. Med. Assoc., 204:761-7 1994.). Furthermore, there is also an indication that early neutering (because absence of sex hormones delays maturation of osteoclasts and thus results in delayed closing of the growth plates in the long-bones) may predispose to increased risk for various orthopedic disorders (such as cruciate ligament disease as I had mentioned in a previous post). Also, some evidence suggests that there is a correlation between increased time for growth plate closure and incidence of HD in Labs (Todhunter et al. J. Am. Vet Assoc., 1997).

judy said:
Healthy puppies, in normal weight, born in normal sized litters are usually half their mature weight at 3 months of age for girls (14 weeks or so) and 16 or 17 weeks of age for boys.

That's interesting. it's true for zack. At 16 weeks, he was 8 pounds. Now, at 14 months (full size?), he is 16 pounds. He had his last growth spurt at around a year old when he went from about 14.5 to 16.

that's a pretty cool formula.
[/quote]

oh my, I'm in for a big boy then, Oakley at 16 weeks was 12 lbs - thats about 24lbs - 6 lbs more than Merlin... crickey :yikes

Back