• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

help quick - before I mess her up!

Harley & Carley

Dumb question, I know - but how often should they have to pee vs poop? I am taking my baby outside and she almost always will pee, but how long do I wait for her to poop too and how often should she so I will know to wait? With it so cold, I dont want us out any longer than necessary, but I do want her to have time to go.
THanks

I've always done the 15-20 minute rule... but I am an OCD mommy who watched our pup like a hawk, any circling it was right back outside!! I think the first few months I was the trained one! Lol!

OCD'er here too!! :oops:

When Kos was 10 weeks old he would poo 4 times a day and pee - Goodness it must have been 10!!!

The older he got the less poos he took - now he's on 2 a day and that's how it's been since he was about 6 months.

:lol:
i love the title of your thread, i totally relate. those are sensible questions, imo.

i think zack pooped between one and three times a day, even when he had colitis, and he peed a bit more often than that. but he didn't pee a lot. he's always held it for long periods. my daughter's cavalier belle was famous for not peeing when she would go for walks, and then peeing in the house.

in the morning, first thing, she will always pee & poop. but after that, I never know what she will do, and we are always going out just to make sure.
should she always have to poop soon after she eats, and usually just pee in bewtween meals?

Mum's pup Toby is doing wees after every meal, sleep and bouts of play or excitement. So really with that one there is no set amount. Pooing I would say around four/five times a day. after every meal and sometimes first thing and last thing.
Just watch for sniffing the floor and circling, once you know the signs its really easy.

the circling back and forth has always been an excellent sign with zack, he doesn['t just suddenly do it, he sniffs around a little. but when he was younger and not yet housetrained, he would go out of my line of site to do it usually because i had the wee wee pads out of view. if you can keep her in view, she hopefully will be a dog who has some pre poop behavior that is a good signal of things to come. but having a routine of going out regularly is probably helpful.

Wesley is 9 weeks and he poo's 3-4 times and pees about 10 times. His routine is something like this....

Wake up at 7am- go potty and eat breakfast & go right back out to potty.

Play for 30-60 minutes, then some crate play time.

Out of the crate - potty & poo

Play for another 60 minutes or so

More crate play or nap time

Out of the crate - potty & lunch and potty again

Play some more

And so on and so on. He poos about 2-3 hours after he is fed.

He eats 1/4 cup of food, three times a day. 7am, noon, 5pm

Oh and he's in bed by 9-9:30pm

It's all pretty predictable. Being on some sort of a schedule helps best. :)

My Wesley said:
Wesley is 9 weeks and

I love the fact you listed a-z of his routine! It gave me a clear view of what to expect at first. Actually it comforted me because as I read it, I thought oh I can handle this!

It's not so bad at all. I think the reason I may be handling it well is because I have two young children, so I am VERY used to being at everyone's beck and call.

But I sure do remember my first few nights at home with my first child and he would just cry at night and I was freaking about the lack of sleep.

But Wesley's made it pretty easy by sleeping through the night in his crate. He's been such a great boy. Definitely makes me want another a year or two down the road. Two kids and two fur-babies....? YIKES! :)

Back